Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

I don't think it makes a difference, because most people regardless of socio-economic status are looking for cheap deals.

I try whenever possible to by Made in America, or at least ABC (Anywhere But China) because it makes ME feel better about my purchase. But I am not under any illusion tha6t my action is making even the smallest ripple in the grand scheme of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Don't believe the label without checking it out further. I have seen many US brand TVs that say "MADE IN AMERICA with parts made in China" or similar. My Ford has an engine made in Germany, transmission made in France. We bought a cast iron pot after reading about a company called Lodge located in Tennessee. We ordered one and when it came, the box said "Made in China."
What did you do when you saw that the pot was MIC?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
If everybody did it, yes it would make a difference. As things are now, however, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I'd love to see companies bring manufacturing jobs back over here to the States, but nothing will change the fact it's way cheaper to produce stuff overseas.

Though I do make an effort to go for US-made products, the truth is that I'll buy an item made in any place in the world that's not China. And that's only because most "Made in China" products I've had are flimsy, the instructions for assembling the products are poorly translated, and/or the products become defective really quickly.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
There is now a trend I notice. Does this help lessen reliance on overseas economies? Do you notice the products are made better, last better or are of better quality? The reality still seems to be we depend on a lot of cheaply made products in developing countries like China that many still say is a trend that won't go away any time soon.
I do seek out and try to buy American made whenever possible and try to avoid Made in China when possible. Last year I purchased a new La-Z-boy sofa, loveseat, and recliner Made in the USA; a Weber Genesis grill -- also Made in the USA, and a Ford E250 assembled in Avon Lake, OH. Hope I helped

Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's simple economics. Look around and assess what's happened in this country over the past twenty years. Do you suppose it's coincidence that so many are out of work, those working are making the same they did ten years ago and that CEOS are making 237 times more than the average American otherwise? This country has done it to itself by allowing most of our manufacturing to go overseas AND actually support it so much. So yes in the end, Buying American is perhaps a really good idea if the average American can pause to reflect a bit.Follow the money, if you spend it on something made here... it stays here most likely.
I'm part of a group fighting to keep a dollar store Goliath out of a small town. Taking what you've written to a local level, money spent in a locally owned and operated shop stays in the community while only a small fraction of money spent at a chain (headquartered out of state) stays in the community. Taking that to a global level, it still makes plenty of sense.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
There is a movement all right.
Read about Fellows Business Machines experience in China.
And in Russia, don't even think you can set up without them in charge.

Corporations need to control and going overseas isn't as great a saving as expected and a lot of risk that's not measurable.
Welcome back North American jobs.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
There is now a trend I notice. Does this help lessen reliance on overseas economies? Do you notice the products are made better, last better or are of better quality? The reality still seems to be we depend on a lot of cheaply made products in developing countries like China that many still say is a trend that won't go away any time soon.
Essentially--the answer is yes and no. Americans who think they are doing the US economy a favor probably think "yes" (quite naive). Americans who think it's patriotic (again--naive) to buy American products probably think "yes." Americans who think that only America produces high quality gadgets probably think "yes" (need I say it? yes, naive). I have no doubt that many consumer products made in the US are good quality. However, most people I know (Americans and non-Americans) are looking for the best price now more than ever.

I know a few people who don't even look at the price tag of the article they are looking to buy--they are looking for quality and functionality over price. But that breed is going to the wayside faster & faster as the U.S. economy goes further & further into the toilet, and as more and more people are unemployed (and losing/lost their unemployment benefits). We can thank greedy banksters, Wall Street robbers, and the overall growing complacency of Americans over the past 40 years for this. Everyone has their face stuck to the iphones/pads, PCs and satellite TV shows. After the 2008 sub-prime mortgage and market crash, it's no coincidence that stock in companies like Family Dollar Store, The Dollar Store, and companies like this skyrocketed. Incidentally, most of the products you find in those stores are made in China. Same with Wal-Mart. This trend is not going away anytime soon without drastic change.

The train has pulled away from the station, folks! And the momentum is too strong to stop it without drastic changes in attitude. Our media and politicians do such an excellent job of keeping us divided over the most trivial of matters that most people cannot even see the forest through the trees anymore.

And let's face it, American companies who actually produce their trinkets/clothes/appliances/cars/etc. in the actual boundaries of the US are becoming more and more rare. And those that are still operating here do not have the best price (at least not that I have noticed). Further, with the successful breakdown of unions (remember the union label?) and the Washington lobbyists funded by uber-wealthy corporations, the labor/mfg pride that once was here in the US will soon be history. Probably already is.

The world is changing very rapidly folks---hang on to your hats!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. At one time the best 9 dollar artificial foot was made in India. South Korea makes many fine products. Patron is probably the best tequila and it's from mexico, as well as many American cars. Vietnam most likely produced the pepper you put on your eggs this morning and the cashews you snacked on during the football game. The hard drive in the computer you used to make your post is probably from Thailand.
Funny thing is Patron isn't even from Mexico! It was branded in 1989 by Paul Mitchell yeah that Paul Mitchell.

Its a trendy name made to appeal to the young Hollywood & club culture crowd. Nothing more nothing less.

While it may be bottled in Mexico to look authentic its not a true Mexican Tequila like Jose Cuervo is which has been around since the turn of the 17th century.

If you as an American went to Mexico & asked for Patron they would probably laugh at you or at the very least know you don't know your top shelf Tequila brands people in Latin America drink.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-03-2014 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Funny thing is Patron isn't even from Mexico! It was branded in 1989 by Paul Mitchell yeah that Paul Mitchell.

Its a trendy name made to appeal to the young Hollywood & club culture crowd. Nothing more nothing less.

While it may be bottled in Mexico to look authentic its not a true Mexican Tequila like Jose Cuervo is which has been around since the turn of the 17th century.

If you as an American went to Mexico & asked for Patron they would probably laugh at you or at the very least know you don't know your top shelf Tequila brands people in Latin America drink.
Actually John Paul DeJoria was the cofounder of Patron, not Paul Mitchell.

Patrón - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Depends on the item. If I'm buying plastic cups or tennis balls or maybe a TV, I don't care where it is made. I want the best value. And that better value means more money in my American pockets to spend on things in this American economy. But I'll be damned if I'm eating chicken tenders from China (yeah, I'm looking at you Sams Club!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates