Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,368 times

Advertisements

There is now a trend I notice. Does this help lessen reliance on overseas economies? Do you notice the products are made better, last better or are of better quality? The reality still seems to be we depend on a lot of cheaply made products in developing countries like China that many still say is a trend that won't go away any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:31 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,867 times
Actually, I heard that many companies in China are shutting down and are either moving to Mexico, because it's closer to the USA, or going to other poorer countries because of the lower costs and regulations.

This is because Chinese wages are rising. China has become even more capitalist and materialist than Hong Kong or the US. I may be wrong and they could just be moving their factories to other provinces such as Gansu, Anhui, or Sichuan.

Regarding jobs, I think that's good to have Made in the USA. I'm thinking that because of this, the quality is probably better and longer lasting, but more expensive. I think the trend on depending on China for goods will dissappear sooner or later. I think it will be numerous other countries too

Old 01-01-2014, 04:35 PM

Actually, I have noticed that a few years ago in fact

Though the majority of my things are made in China, I have blu ray disks Made in Mexico, Jeans made in El Salvador and Bangladesh, Flash memory made in Taiwan (or Japan or Korea), RAM Hecho en México, and other things from say Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, Guatemala, Colombia, and Brazil

Old 01-01-2014, 04:36 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,368 times
Globalization isn't going to change any time soon, for better or for worse, I guess.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,070 times
Buying goods made in the USA can be a lot more expensive. For example, let's say you want to buy a nice stereo power amplifier. You can buy a Macintosh amp, made in Binghamton New York, and spend $8000. Or, you can buy a similar amplifier made in China for $800.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Buying goods made in the USA can be a lot more expensive. For example, let's say you want to buy a nice stereo power amplifier. You can buy a Macintosh amp, made in Binghamton New York, and spend $8000. Or, you can buy a similar amplifier made in China for $800.
Yeah but then again, there are some companies that really won't change the price to the consumer. I dunno, maybe Michelin can make tires here in the USA and charge you say $50 a tire. I think even if they moved to China or anywhere cheaper, they would still charge $50 a tire. They wouldn't change the price one bit and just reap the greater profits.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Don't believe the label without checking it out further. I have seen many US brand TVs that say "MADE IN AMERICA with parts made in China" or similar. My Ford has an engine made in Germany, transmission made in France. We bought a cast iron pot after reading about a company called Lodge located in Tennessee. We ordered one and when it came, the box said "Made in China."

Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
I do think that for the most part, stuff made in America is better quality. I also feel better when I buy things made in the USA because I'm supporting our own economy and not China's or Thailand's or something. I know that because I bought something made in the US, a fellow American has a job and probably gets to keep it. I don't necessarily go out of my way to buy products made in America but overall I do prefer things American made.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Default Do you think buying "Made in the USA" products makes a major difference?

Yes, it does.

Stuff made in USA, Canada, Germany, England, & Japan are all good.

Mexico, China, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, & India is no good.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Globalization isn't going to change any time soon, for better or for worse, I guess.
Globalization itself won't change no. Corporations are always going to look for the cheapest workers no matter the country. The only thing that changes it which country that may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates