Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 PM

5,384 posts, read 5,202,503 times

Advertisements

I think we are attracted to people with traits different than our own. Many white people are attracted people who tan, yet nature already made a lot of people tan by birth. My Czech grandma just loves people with black, curly hair, a trait not very common among people of Czech ethnicity. I read that in the middle ages, Turkish soldiers were repulsed by skinny girls, and many Turkish people were skinny at that time, not due to lack of hunger.

However, I beleive that cultural differences, such as language or cuisine would override our desire for those with different traits. Thus many people in times past married the options they had in their culture, which happened to also be people of similar ethnicity. But now with globalization and mass immigration, there are plenty of people with different traits within ones own culture sphere.

So if we are attracted to people of with different traits, would that mean that we will see more and more interethnic or interracial couples in the future as more and more people of immigrant heritage become integrated to US culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,240,690 times
Dude, you must live a very sheltered life!

Interethnic relationships, not to mention interracial and interreligious relationships, have been going on in my family for decades, beginning with my mother (Polish) and my father (Italian) who were 2nd generation Americans. Furthermore, we're not particularly unique in having mixed blood. It's been the American way since about the 17th century. SHEESH!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 PM

5,384 posts, read 5,202,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Dude, you must live a very sheltered life!

Interethnic relationships, not to mention interracial and interreligious relationships, have been going on in my family for decades, beginning with my mother (Polish) and my father (Italian) who were 2nd generation Americans. Furthermore, we're not particularly unique in having mixed blood. It's been the American way since about the 17th century. SHEESH!
No, I'm not sheltered, I'm just saying that what your family has done is only what's natural given no significant cultural barriers.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM

14,761 posts, read 14,750,552 times
Pretty much; as cultures meet and blend, so do families. It's the natural order of things, and has always been that way, except in cases where groups tell themselves the "other" is the enemy. Those who bring their families to a new country or area, and expect their children and grandchildren to "stick to their own" and not love and marry into other ethnicities/cultures/races, etc usually end up gravely disappointed.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 PM

305 posts, read 378,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think we are attracted to people with traits different than our own. Many white people are attracted people who tan, yet nature already made a lot of people tan by birth. My Czech grandma just loves people with black, curly hair, a trait not very common among people of Czech ethnicity. I read that in the middle ages, Turkish soldiers were repulsed by skinny girls, and many Turkish people were skinny at that time, not due to lack of hunger.

However, I beleive that cultural differences, such as language or cuisine would override our desire for those with different traits. Thus many people in times past married the options they had in their culture, which happened to also be people of similar ethnicity. But now with globalization and mass immigration, there are plenty of people with different traits within ones own culture sphere.

So if we are attracted to people of with different traits, would that mean that we will see more and more interethnic or interracial couples in the future as more and more people of immigrant heritage become integrated to US culture?
Yes, the US is becoming like Latin America--a hodgepodge of races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates