Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:53 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times

Advertisements

Now hear me out, I am not saying it should be sold in stores or any of that, and I will agree that there should be stipulations that businesses can still decide whether or not to drug test as well as arrest someone if they are under the influence while driving like alcohol, but in the privacy of your own home, what's the big deal? I don't give a rats *** if someone is stupid enough to OD or whatever, isn't the world a better place? And I shouldn't have to tell you how much money/lives/family's would be spared if we got rid of the stupid "war on drugs" and prisons wouldn't be filled to the brim with low-lifes that would BE better off ODing and earning their darwin award. I think one of the biggest problems today is how many people are saved from their own stupidity and allowed to breed when, in the past the would have rightfully ended their own lives from their idiocy and saved the states/tax payers/everyone else from not only themselves but what we are paying for them.

Not that I would ever do drugs myself and I do also believe there should still be re-habs for the few drug addicts that actually WANT help (and considering how many are forced into it yet don't help themselves it actually makes it harder for people that do have enough brains to seek out help to actually be focused on them, not someone that still wants to do them badly but is just there because they are forced to be), but this whole war on drugs and all the lives that have been destroyed and all the money we spend that never does anything is FAR worse than letting some crackhead/pothead/whatever spend all their time in their home wasting their lives away. I used to live in an apt complex many years ago where a girl did cocaine and she was arrested by a drug bust and was sent to re-hab but of course it didn't do jack and she was back doing it again. Thing is she always stayed inside and didn't bug anyone really but I just found it absurd how MY tax money was spent to help this coke addict that, because she never wanted help never took it seriously and was back again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 01:37 AM

947 posts, read 1,463,624 times
Because legalizing doesn't eliminate the crime. You still have people making moonshine that makes people go blind or die. You still have smuggling such as cig smuggling that goes to support terrorist groups ala Hamas and Hezbollah.

The dealers will still kill each other over the money to be had.

Prohibition period actually had far less crime then the preceding time period and alcohol consumption was far less along with deaths and crime related to drinking. Organized crime actually didn't increase either. They may have started liquor but they were as organized before Prohibition as they were after it.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:22 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Because people will then blame the government for not banning them after they OD.

Personally for me, I don't smoke pot but it seems like the recent legalization in some states is probably a step in the direction I could see it going federally. Why? Because there's money (taxes) to be made off of it and when the government figures out how to do that, then it'll be legalized.

A big reason why drugs won't be legalized is because drugs being legal would eliminate a lot of jobs in the criminal justice system. That's a sad reality.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 AM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times
Same reason why prostitution is not legal either. Religion.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
IMO there are 3 drugs that are very dangerous..... Heroin, Crystal Meth and Crack.

All highly addictive and destroys lives.

I can understand legalizing the other drugs but not these 3.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Re- Legalize the natural state.
Re- Medicalize the processed and pharmaceutical.

That should cover it.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:04 AM

836 posts, read 1,661,436 times
Because we are a nation of infants.

Our parental government must shield us from nudity, profanity and graphic scenes witnessed daily by children around the world.

You can go to prison for possessing a wild weed.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
A friend of mine had a heart attack at the age of 21 because of cocaine. You really want to make that stuff legal?

What I do not understand is why do people think these drug dealers aren't going to go on and find something else illegal to do? Do you really think they're going to just become law abiding citizens?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Have you ever lived with a family member that is on drugs? It is a horrifying and heartbreaking ordeal. I can't imagine anyone wanting to make that legal. Your loved one turns into a different person, mentally & physically. Getting more drugs is their constant goal. They lie, steal, fight, scream, break things, assault people, whatever they need to do to get the money for more drugs.

Maybe people are only remembering a college party where they smoked pot and all was fun and laid back. Well, for many drug users, it's not like that. It's killing their brain cells, their bodies, their jobs, their relationships, not to mention the dangers to those in their families and those unlucky enough to be on the road next to them when they're high.

You really want to put that temptation back in front of former addicts that have fought the fight to get off the drugs, and now find the government says it's okay? Please, please, please, no.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 AM

421 posts, read 676,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Same reason why prostitution is not legal either. Religion.
It's legal in NV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates