Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times

Advertisements

Healthcare should be a public service so no. The idea you should let people die because they don't have enough bits of paper is immoral IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
You will get treated. You probably will need to file for bankruptcy and might not like some of the solutions, but you will get treatment. Charity does not take away all financial burden, except for in a few cases. There ARE many charities that can take the edge off and also provide transportation and, in some cases, housing.

In my case, I had to continue working full time in order to pay my rent and maintain health insurance, and it took me 3 years to get out of the debt the disease left me in (though I recognize that's less than many people).

Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You will get treated. You probably will need to file for bankruptcy and might not like some of the solutions, but you will get treatment. Charity does not take away all financial burden, except for in a few cases. There ARE many charities that can take the edge off and also provide transportation and, in some cases, housing.

In my case, I had to continue working full time in order to pay my rent and maintain health insurance, and it took me 3 years to get out of the debt the disease left me in (though I recognize that's less than many people).
Really? I've read horror stories about people not getting chemotherapy treatments because they couldn't pay. Does the paperwork you have to submit to be eligible for charity take a while to get approved?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

And how were you physically able to work while going through chemotherapy? Doesn't that just zap all the energy out of you and make you sick?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
And how were you physically able to work while going through chemotherapy? Doesn't that just zap all the energy out of you and make you sick?
You really have a lot of misconceptions about cancer.

Not everyone is getting it. The number of people with cancer increases a little each year because the population is increasing, meaning more folks are available who can get it. The actual rates of many cancers, corrected for population, are going down.

Many cancer patients are cured with just surgery. They have an operation, recover, and go back to work, just like someone who had an appendectomy would do.

Not all chemotherapy is the same. Side effects differ and there is treatment for them. Not all treatments cost $100,000 per year. Many people take time off to receive chemo and then go back to work or school.

My son who was treated for leukemia missed a lot of school. We did make up work at home. Ultimately, he graduated from high school with his original class.

No one should die from cancer because of lack of money. People without money get treated, just like people who do not have money who are in automobile accidents get treated.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Yeah, I realize there are a lot of other diseases, but I was just focusing on cancer since it seems to be affecting the most people these days.
What about other "treatments" other than chemo? (I mean pain management, nausea meds, appetite stimulants, etc..) Not everyone that gets cancer wants or agrees to chemo/radiation.

Quote:
I know people who have died from chemo, which is why if I am ever in that position, I will refuse it.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
Sure.
Why not?

Loaded question --> loaded answer.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You really have a lot of misconceptions about cancer.

Not everyone is getting it. The number of people with cancer increases a little each year because the population is increasing, meaning more folks are available who can get it. The actual rates of many cancers, corrected for population, are going down.

Many cancer patients are cured with just surgery. They have an operation, recover, and go back to work, just like someone who had an appendectomy would do.

Not all chemotherapy is the same. Side effects differ and there is treatment for them. Not all treatments cost $100,000 per year. Many people take time off to receive chemo and then go back to work or school.

My son who was treated for leukemia missed a lot of school. We did make up work at home. Ultimately, he graduated from high school with his original class.

No one should die from cancer because of lack of money. People without money get treated, just like people who do not have money who are in automobile accidents get treated.
I just constantly hear of people getting it, so it gets me worried. One in two men and one in three women will get cancer.. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/551998

I just went to a funeral last week of someone who had lung cancer. I wasn't close with her, but it really made me start thinking how anyone can get cancer and how fast it can kill someone.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What about other "treatments" other than chemo? (I mean pain management, nausea meds, appetite stimulants, etc..) Not everyone that gets cancer wants or agrees to chemo/radiation.

I know people who have died from chemo, which is why if I am ever in that position, I will refuse it.
Well in many cases if you can't surgically remove the cancer, you have no choice but to get chemo or radiation. It's very unlikely you will live otherwise.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
Quote:
Cancer seems to be affecting more and more people these days. Although there have been a lot of advances in the different drugs used to treat cancer, I truly wonder how people afford them. I read somewhere that the chemotherapy for one year will cost over $100,000. Even if they have insurance, how do cancer patients manage to pay the remaining costs?

If a cancer patient does not have insurance or enough money to pay for treatments, should we just let him die? I know that everyone is now eligible for health insurance, but that doesn't mean it's affordable. A lot of people are opting out and paying the fine because they can't afford the premiums. So what should a person do if he finds out he has cancer? Should he quit his job and see if he can at least qualify for Medicaid?

I've never personally known anyone in this situation, but I am very curious about all of this. Do you believe there should be more options for cancer patients without insurance? Have you personally known anyone who has got cancer with no insurance?
Well, depending on how much money he or she has they probably should take their savings and travel to costa rica, cuba, malaysia or some other country and get the healthcare there. They probably won't qualify for medicaid unless they're practically destitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates