Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that a fundamental tenant of Real Conservative Principals is everything has a price and if you cannot pay the price you should not receive the product or service. Some TRUE BELIEVERS would apply this to health care and restrict these services to only those that had the funds or sufficient insurance to pay for care. The corollary is to not serve those without the means to pay. This is the "pay of die" policy.

These TB's rarely discuss the obvious results of having a huge number of sick and dying around. Things like sources of infectious disease, tenements littered with dead bodies and a uneconomically unhealthy workforce. These are the results of a "pay of die" health care policy. Just look at most third world dumps for living and dying examples.

Apparently the European countries have found that relieving the individual from the "pay of die" policy is cheaper for the investor classes than the opposite. We should pay attention. Universal health care would be good for the economy as well as our karma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 05:37 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
In the U.S., or at least Minnesota, cancer patients without insurance and without the ability to pay most likely will be asked to go on Medical Assistance (Medicaid). They also have the ability to get charity care (commonly called "Community Care") to pay 100% of their medical expenses if they make below a certain income threshold (which is actually quite high - $60k for a family of 4, if I remember correctly.)

Old 03-01-2014, 07:10 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
In the U.S., or at least Minnesota, cancer patients without insurance and without the ability to pay most likely will be asked to go on Medical Assistance (Medicaid). They also have the ability to get charity care (commonly called "Community Care") to pay 100% of their medical expenses if they make below a certain income threshold (which is actually quite high - $60k for a family of 4, if I remember correctly.)
Wow really? That must just be in Minnesota because I believe I believe a family of four has to make less than like $24,000 a year to qualify for Medicaid.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:56 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Wow really? That must just be in Minnesota because I believe I believe a family of four has to make less than like $24,000 a year to qualify for Medicaid.
I was referring to hospital charity care, not Medicaid. You are correct in asserting that maximum income limits for Medicaid (known as "Medical Assistance") are very strict; however, the state has another program, MinnesotaCare, designed for people with "modest" incomes whose employer does not offer health insurance, and its income limits are relatively soft (275% of FPG, I believe).

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I was referring to hospital charity care, not Medicaid. You are correct in asserting that maximum income limits for Medicaid (known as "Medical Assistance") are very strict; however, the state has another program, MinnesotaCare, designed for people with "modest" incomes whose employer does not offer health insurance, and its income limits are relatively soft (275% of FPG, I believe).
Hm, I wonder why more states don't do things like Minnesota?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Hm, I wonder why more states don't do things like Minnesota?
I think you will find that most states have similar programs.

Health Care Assistance for Uninsured | We Can Help | LIVESTRONG.org

Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
Why would they? We have the affordable care act.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What about other "treatments" other than chemo? (I mean pain management, nausea meds, appetite stimulants, etc..) Not everyone that gets cancer wants or agrees to chemo/radiation.

I know people who have died from chemo, which is why if I am ever in that position, I will refuse it.
You are talking hypothetical situations. Believe me, if you had cancer, your tune could change. Especially if chemo vastly improved your outcome. I speak from experience looking at chemo a second time in my life after my diagnosis 15 years ago with my first cancer. I said that I would never go thru that again. Guess what... I'm going through it again (unrelated cancer and highly treatable with chemo/radiation). Too much to live for. My kids are still young. Not taking the recommended treatment would be unwise.

If I had advanced cancer though and chemo would just give me a few more months, I would have to ponder that decision pretty hard.

Chemo isn't a death sentence and the therapies vary quite drastically. My first chemo wasn't a walk in the park but I managed to work pretty much full time. Fortunately this next round is more mild. Hopefully I can nip this in the bud and go on to live a long productive life. Of course you are free to make your own medical decisions and decide the course of your treatments. I have too much to live for to throw in the towel.

To the people making gas chamber comments. I don't know if you are being sarcastic. If you are serious, there is a special place in hell waiting for you. Karma.

Last edited by Siggy20; 03-05-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Haven't totally read through this thread... has anyone addressed the supply side, as to why it has to cost so much for treatment?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Cancer seems to be affecting more and more people these days. Although there have been a lot of advances in the different drugs used to treat cancer, I truly wonder how people afford them. I read somewhere that the chemotherapy for one year will cost over $100,000. Even if they have insurance, how do cancer patients manage to pay the remaining costs?

If a cancer patient does not have insurance or enough money to pay for treatments, should we just let him die? I know that everyone is now eligible for health insurance, but that doesn't mean it's affordable. A lot of people are opting out and paying the fine because they can't afford the premiums. So what should a person do if he finds out he has cancer? Should he quit his job and see if he can at least qualify for Medicaid?

I've never personally known anyone in this situation, but I am very curious about all of this. Do you believe there should be more options for cancer patients without insurance? Have you personally known anyone who has got cancer with no insurance?
This is such an obnoxious question, I can't believe you are serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates