Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 03:23 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Second: It seems we have overlooked something. The Constitution spells out in exacting detail who has the ultimate authority, and the ultimate responsibility, for interpreting the Constitution: the Supreme Court of the United States. If anyone wants to know how some part of the Constitution has been interpreted, read up on how the SCOTUS has interpreted it. Their decisions become the law of the land.

There's more, but I'll save that for later if needed.

Regards to all,

-- Nighteyes
Actually, the power of the Supreme Court to interpret the Constitution i.e. Judicial Review, is not explicitly spelled out in the Constitution. Rather, it is inferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
DUH....!

Ahem... that is the role of the Supreme Court, as defined/determined by the Constitution!

Frankly I don't know where you're trying to go with this, short of re-writing the Constitution. And, if such is your goal (not saying it is), good luck...

-- Nighteyes

Please cite the article or clause in the Constitution that grants SCOTUS this authority????

Old 04-06-2014, 08:10 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Please cite the article or clause in the Constitution that grants SCOTUS this authority????
There isn't one, but as has been pointed out any number of times, the power still exists.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
The constitution is a god given right that has no equal on this earth.
Not clear to me when/where the constitution became a God given right.Isnt it just a document written up by a bunch of politicians?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There isn't one, but as has been pointed out any number of times, the power still exists.
Yes I know. Nighteye's continues to claim that the Constitution expressly grant's the Supreme Court this authority though, so I am merely challenging him on this claim.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
To me, the question is: should the US adhere to its Constitution or not?

In Constitutional cases, the Supreme Court, by definition, tries to apply Constitution as it interprets it. It can only try to interpret it as well and as faithfully as it can. If it didn't, it would either be using some other standard or no standard. Both are arbitrary, since there are infinitely many other standards and non-standards.

There can be alternative interpretations but there shouldn't alternative standards.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
This was decided as far back as our founding.

Democrat-Republicans felt that we should have a strict adherence to the constitution, or "constructionists" views.

The Federalists felt that we needed a strong central government which had "interpreted" powers not explicitly listed in the constitution.

The Federalists won. This argument was decided before 1800. I wish we would use the amendment process more, and use strict wording to limit federal power. The problem with that is we wouldn't have bought the land west of the Mississippi from Napoleon, the north probably wouldn't have won the civil war, and Roosevelt probably would have failed to help with the depression.

Pick your poison.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This was decided as far back as our founding.

Democrat-Republicans felt that we should have a strict adherence to the constitution, or "constructionists" views.

The Federalists felt that we needed a strong central government which had "interpreted" powers not explicitly listed in the constitution.

The Federalists won. This argument was decided before 1800. I wish we would use the amendment process more, and use strict wording to limit federal power. The problem with that is we wouldn't have bought the land west of the Mississippi from Napoleon, the north probably wouldn't have won the civil war, and Roosevelt probably would have failed to help with the depression.

Pick your poison.
True. One of the justices during the civil war said the Constitution is not a suicide pact. It was a habeas corpus case. Extreme conditions require extreme measures. But once normality returns, so should normal jurisprudence.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
True. One of the justices during the civil war said the Constitution is not a suicide pact. It was a habeas corpus case. Extreme conditions require extreme measures. But once normality returns, so should normal jurisprudence.
Thats the issue with judicial precedence. Let the federal government get away with it once, next time they'll do it again, and for a far lesser reason.

Lincoln ignored the Supreme court during the war, but he wasn't the first President to ignore the court and ignore the constitution.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
To me, the question is: should the US adhere to its Constitution or not?

In Constitutional cases, the Supreme Court, by definition, tries to apply Constitution as it interprets it. It can only try to interpret it as well and as faithfully as it can. If it didn't, it would either be using some other standard or no standard. Both are arbitrary, since there are infinitely many other standards and non-standards.

There can be alternative interpretations but there shouldn't alternative standards.
Simply put, "BINGO!!!!"

We can gripe, moan and complain all we want. For any SCOTUS decision that seems wrong to us, the simple truth is that we can either (a) attempt to change it via new laws, Constitutional Amendments or SCOTUS nominations, or (b) suck it up and get on with our lives.

The SCOTUS doesn't make laws, but it sure-as-heck interprets/applies/overturns/affirms current laws based on its collective understanding of the Constitution.

In the past few years there have been a few SCOTUS decisions with which I absolutely do not agree; decisions that will significantly change the political landscape for the foreseeable future. My real-world choices are few, and they are carefully described above.

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 04-07-2014 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates