Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time when I was in a war a long time ago and far, far away, I used a substantial amount of stimulants to get into the "groove". I also used alcohol to reduce some of the speed induced shakes. While using I was not a pleasant person to be around. I did not use pot because it relaxed me and that could have been fatal. I stopped using any of these chemicals, except for very limited amounts of alcohol, when I came back from that war.

I would prefer my neighbors use pot instead of either cocaine, meth or alcohol if they use anything. The result is safer and quieter.

I believe the harm done to society by prohibiting the current drugs is far more damaging than allowing the legal sale of quality controlled, standardized dosage in licensed stores to the public. I also believe prohibition will be removed as the drug companies realize that they can produce these drugs and sell them at a lower price than the smugglers keep the profit for themselves instead of the criminals.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think all the finger-pointers need to start looking in the mirror, because it sure isn't me or my fellow pot-smoking friends who are lacking in personal responsibility or funds. Among the people I know who smoke regularly, I can count the following: Lawyers, doctors, a nurse, general contractor, stockbroker, librarians, computer programmers & techies, corporate executives, teachers, even a cop or two. And those are just the few I can think of now!
Good point. Further, the list of successful people who have or do use marijuana is a rather long list indeed. For example, Paul McCartney seems to be doing just fine, although he has indicated that he has given it up. He's 71-years old.
Old Beatle Paul McCartney whiffs 'some pretty good weed' at gig

A good number of other well-known successful people have or still do indulge. None of these people seem to be passed out next to the curb. This list is just a handful from 2013.
2013 Top 50 Most Influential Marijuana Users

It's a matter of choice and is not something that necessarily leads down the road to dispair, failure and ruin. It's not for everyone either, and that's okay too.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
The post with the photos was hysterical. You cannot catch AIDS from pot, and how in the world does one "share used marijuana"?? Used marijuana is a small pile of ashes. I hope that was intended as comic relief. Anyone can make a poster and claim that it represents the truth. Please cite sources for your "facts".

Old 03-22-2014, 01:06 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think my point is very clear. Potheads won't accept any data they don't agree with.

Oh, you are giving me "one more chance?" Why bother? You won't accept it, anyway. Gullible are those who believe that marijuana is a "harmless" drug for everyone.
Translation: No, I cannot meet your challenge.

You have known me (from this forum) long enough to know this is BS, and that as an information professional, I would NEVER reject factual data or reliable sources. If you can present me with these facts from a RELIABLE source (already gave you some examples of those), I would 100% accept and honestly discuss them. What you're defending, on the other hand, is a ridiculously humorous picture from a photo-sharing site... c'mon, even you know that was redunkulous. Or do you? If you cannot see the difference between that silly picture, and something like a data sheet from the CDC or WebMD, I'd say even trying to hold an intelligent discussion with you is futile. Of course, in terms of this specific topic I already knew that.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-22-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The post with the photos was hysterical. You cannot catch AIDS from pot, and how in the world does one "share used marijuana"?? Used marijuana is a small pile of ashes. I hope that was intended as comic relief. Anyone can make a poster and claim that it represents the truth. Please cite sources for your "facts".
I didn't even read the whole caption at first, since I was on my phone (tiny print) at the time... and Fleet actually thinks we SHOULD accept this?? Wow, that is the funniest thing I've seen in a LONG time!!

Okay, Fleet - since you think I'm merely rejecting that photo because of my potheadedness, I'll give you a more clear and direct challenge. Please explain how one can "overdose" or catch AIDs from pot, with scientific evidence to back up the statement. Go ahead, I dare you!!! LOLOL, that had to have been written by either a child or the biggest moron alive. And I'll refrain from saying what I think of those who believe such nonsense, as it might be a TOS violation. Priceless.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-22-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 01:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
This is how you know that you are a pothead/stoner (does not apply in Colorado anymore).

So you live in, say, New York City, and you smoke pot everyday. You're down to your last joint, but it's not a problem because your friend is getting you a fresh half ounce.

Then your friend calls you with bad news. His supplier did not come through, and won't have anything for four days.

What do you do?

a) Tell your friend that it's not a problem and you'll wait the four days.

b) Go into a mini panic, and devote all your energies above anything else to find pot from another source.

If the answer is b, you're a pothead/stoner. And much more often that not, I would bet the answer for the daily pot smoker is b.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I gotcha! I guess this problem isn't SO bad. It could be worse.
Oh trust me, it could be MUCH MUCH worse! I had roommates for probably 10-12 years, and could tell you stories for days... that's why I eventually said no more, and have lived alone ever since. Until you can afford to do that, I'd say if this is your only problem with her, consider yourself lucky.

But seriously, if the smoke is that bad and bothersome, I would speak with her nicely about compromising. I had a roommate who hated the smell of pot (although her chain-smoking of cigarettes inside was fine & dandy), so I promised to keep it outside or in my room w/ a towel under the door. Worked okay, until I found a better and more tolerant roommate a few months later.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
This is how you know that you are a pothead/stoner (does not apply in Colorado anymore).

So you live in, say, New York City, and you smoke pot everyday. You're down to your last joint, but it's not a problem because your friend is getting you a fresh half ounce.

Then your friend calls you with bad news. His supplier did not come through, and won't have anything for four days.

What do you do?

a) Tell your friend that it's not a problem and you'll wait the four days.

b) Go into a mini panic, and devote all your energies above anything else to find pot from another source.

If the answer is b, you're a pothead/stoner. And much more often that not, I would bet the answer for the daily pot smoker is b.
Aaaaand your point is? The OP is claiming things way beyond what you're discussing here, and I don't see how it's anyone's business if someone is an addict. You know what I really DO panic over, if I run out? Tobacco. Pot is great to have, and luckily I never have to worry about finding it (we have clubs too, just under the guise of "medical clinics") - but I've gone without a zillion times, and haven't once experienced actual withdrawals. When I can't have a cigarette for xxx hours, however, I feel like I'm going to knock the teeth out of the next person who crosses my path. But THIS is the legal drug? 'Murica, gotta love it.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:32 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, especially the guy at the bottom who "overdosed" too many times on pot, and got AIDS from "sharing used marijuana"
I was referring to the actual data, not the photo on the bottom. Most people would have figured that out quickly.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I was referring to the actual data, not the photo on the bottom. Most people would have figured that out quickly.
What actual data? All I saw was a chart with no source link, and that ridiculous picture. If they can show us the source for that chart, maybe we'll have something to discuss here... until then, you're the only one rejecting reality.

And no, I am not saying everything on that chart was false - but then again, despite what you keep trying to claim, I have never said pot is 100% harmless. Never. That isn't the real debate, though, and certainly not the subject of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates