Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:26 AM

104 posts, read 130,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Aaaaand your point is? The OP is claiming things way beyond what you're discussing here, and I don't see how it's anyone's business if someone is an addict. You know what I really DO panic over, if I run out? Tobacco. Pot is great to have, and luckily I never have to worry about finding it (we have clubs too, just under the guise of "medical clinics") - but I've gone without a zillion times, and haven't once experienced actual withdrawals. When I can't have a cigarette for xxx hours, however, I feel like I'm going to knock the teeth out of the next person who crosses my path. But THIS is the legal drug? 'Murica, gotta love it.
Exactly, same here. I smoked pot when I was a teenager/early 20's. At one point, I decided I didn't want to smoke it anymore. so stopped. In my late 40's, I had a botched back surgery that causes horrific pain. I was offered hard core drug, all kinds. I tried some, but I was the one always telling the Dr to lower dosage or try something less dangerous. I never use as many as the recommended dosage, only when the pain is unbearable. I tried other herbs that didn't help. If I smoke some pot now and then, it works better than anything and I can avoid the side effects of every prescription med and I can get a good nights sleep.

Now. cigarettes I have smoked for years. I want to quit. Even for the price and the feeling horrible when they are the one thing you will go get no matter how the weather. Luckily, I don't have any health problems yet. I am having a horrible time kicking that habit but I will..eventually. There are no comparisons on the terms of which is more addictive for me.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
The new "fad" of vapor pens to inhale are not all THC. You get choices. I think the high THC sold in the mini-cartrides is only several drops or so & CBD & Hybrid are more? Need to check dispensary websites to be certain as info on company site is far from complete. Honest company, hasn't been able to produce enough to keep up with demand as shortage of workers. Great for CO economy, IMO

The vaping pens are here to stay IMO because they solve these problems: No smoke smell wars, some states are going to be allowing vaping cannabis only, in part because they don't want to have to have people checking farms & transporters to find out if they are illegal untaxed or not. If people smoke cannabis in usual ways, much of very healthful cannabis oil is burnt up before it can be inhaled. The cannabis oil in the pens is the same product that was in pharmacies for nearly 100 years. It has been proven to help over 200 medical conditions, mostly by medical scientists specializing in this 1 plant.

Cannabis has been used since our earliest recorded history with 0 deaths as a direct result. Every person that has seriously studied this plant will tell you that.

Most pills can have profound side effects, including death, about 125,000 American deaths a year. Cigarettes (tobacco) may cause 300,000+ American deaths a year, alcohol 100,000+. Are you more concerned about a drug that refuses to kill & helps treat 200+ conditions, than all drugs that do kill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Related is the new fad of using vapor pens to inhale concentrated THC (not a few times X, exponentially more). The health concerns haven't been studied yet but legalizing marijuana will quickly enable commercial enterprises to ramp up production faster than anyone can effective study the health effects.

Part of the issue is the toxins that can be introduced in the process of concentration and when those are inhaled they are of course, toxic to the body.

Like many things, marijuana in the most common form might be benign but it won't stay that way. The hand wrapped job will go the way of hand wrapped cigarettes and the consequences of the vapor pens coupled with high concentrations of the active ingredients directly inhaled will produce profound side effects, none of them healthful.

While one can say that regulations and so on will deal with those issues, look how fast vapor cigarettes took off. Anyone believe that technology won't take off faster with marijuana? [MOD CUT/off topic]

Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 AM

458 posts, read 644,982 times
Pot can be taxed like alcohol which is great for the support of our country and also profitable for big business.
Not legalizing marijuana would be too anti-patriotic and foolish.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post

Most pills can have profound side effects, including death, about 125,000 American deaths a year. Cigarettes (tobacco) may cause 300,000+ American deaths a year, alcohol 100,000+. Are you more concerned about a drug that refuses to kill & helps treat 200+ conditions, than all drugs that do kill?
This sums it up right here.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
This sums it up right here.
Not to mention all the lives effected by abuse. I have a family relative that can trace all his negative poor choices in life back to alcohol, he just cannot handle alcohol well, yet he continues to use it. He has given it up and switched to pot and really made himself useful and made gains in his life, all to lose it to alcohol once again, over and over. I really wish he would just give up the alcohol and use cannabis instead. Ideally speaking being sober for them would be best, but starting with baby steps first would be great. Ditch the booze and grab a vape.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
I didn't read all the responses to your post. I've known people with various chemical dependencies and the pot smokers, are by far, the calmest, most laid-back and personable of them all. I have never been concerned about a pot addict stealing from me or becoming obnoxious. I've never understood why it's illegal when nicotine and alcohol are and clearly cause quite a bit of trouble for people. I'm not suggesting that out-of-control pot users can't be outrageous. I am just pointing out that I've never met them. Granted, I've never experimented with any drugs so I only know this from an observational standpoint.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
my brother smoke weed all his life five , six a day, every day. he became a space cadet, yes he could work but it fried his memory. in ally it killed him. Just how can one say having the high feeling is good for you to survive. people say they weed is totally safe, but all those chemicals can't be good for you. especially since the manfacting and pro ducting the product in uncontrolled. no telling what they are adding to the product.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my brother smoke weed all his life five , six a day, every day. he became a space cadet, yes he could work but it fried his memory. in ally it killed him. Just how can one say having the high feeling is good for you to survive. people say they weed is totally safe, but all those chemicals can't be good for you. especially since the manfacting and pro ducting the product in uncontrolled. no telling what they are adding to the product.
Are you the first person on the Earth to claim in 10,000 years of cannabis use that it claimed your brothers life?

"Weed" does not kill brain cells, it can cause short term memory loss, however. If your brother died I would suspect other harder drugs to be the blame, not "weed".

Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I skipped most of the responses, because I assume they are like every other pot thread. So I'll just make two points:

1. I'm fine with pot being legal, with all the appropriate stipulations and taxation. It's silly that it is still victimized.

2. OP's moniker is appropriate.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Right, and the post I was answering is so spot on. Lying to yourself isn't healthy, just FYI.
Here is a bunch of lies you can read. I'm sure you can disprove it all. We know now pot is just as harmless as water.
DrugFacts: Marijuana | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
It's biased information used to influence uninformed and personally inexperienced persons like yourself. I guess you still wear your D.A.R.E. t-shirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
The marijuana did not kill him. It would have make global news.
No body puts stuff in weed. They would either get killed or lose all their customers. Potheads don't smoke laced weed, nor do they run into that problem often. I've never once seen any weed that has been laced, it's also way too expensive for drug dealers to put more than one type of drug into a bag, and sell it for the same price, all the while losing customers. It makes no sense and happens only in really rare cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates