Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:51 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times

Advertisements

What about people like me? A college student (who lives in an apartment) with a roommate who smokes marijuana on a daily basis. I wake up to the aroma of marijuana (she does it at night), and I have to put a towel at the bottom of my door so the smell doesn't stink up my room even more. That inconveniences my sleep and my health because I don't want to smell that sh*t.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:08 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Really? It's never been a gateway drug for anybody? For not even one person? I find that hard to believe.
For the MAJORITY of people, no it is NOT a gateway drug.

Quote:
You don't need a mind-altering drug to treat glaucoma; there are herbs which do that.

- Bilberry contains flavonoids and nutrients needed to protect the eye from further damage.
- Chickweed and eyeweed are good for all eye disorders.
- A combination of ginkgo biloba extract and zinc sulfate may slow progressive vision loss.
- Jaborandi is a rainforest herb that contains pilocarpine, used for over 120 years to relieve interocular pressure in glaucoma.
While it is true that there are other herbs that can treat glaucoma, marijuana is also an herb that can treat it. The thing is, one herb may help one person but not another. Marijuana is just one more herb in the arsenal of herbs to treat several maladies.

Cat

Old 03-21-2014, 06:13 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
If one glass of wine makes you tipsy, you must weigh something like 90 pounds.

ONE CAN HAVE A GLASS OF BEER OR WINE BECAUSE ONE LIKES THE TASTE AND IS THIRSTY.

THE ONLY REASON ONE SMOKES POT IS TO GET STONED. ONE DOES NOT SMOKE POT FOR THE SMELL AND THE TASTE.
Wrong. I often take just one hit to relieve pain (doesn't get me stoned, given my tolerance), and also happen to love the smell and taste. But when I do smoke to get high, why is that a problem? Adults can legally get drunk, and I hate alcohol - so shouldn't I be allowed to use an alternative, which happens to be even SAFER? Thankfully my state says yes, yes you can.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
It's hard to get an accurate idea of what a typical pot smoker is, because most pot smokers don't advertise the fact that they are pot smokers. A lot of people when referring to pot smokers, are talking about people who are very open about their habit, and often don't care what people think. It's a bit like using alcoholics, when trying to understand typical drinking behavior.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
What about people like me? A college student (who lives in an apartment) with a roommate who smokes marijuana on a daily basis. I wake up to the aroma of marijuana (she does it at night), and I have to put a towel at the bottom of my door so the smell doesn't stink up my room even more. That inconveniences my sleep and my health because I don't want to smell that sh*t.
I'm sure your dorm has a non-smoking policy, and most definitely (unless maybe you're in CO or WA) does not allow pot in the rooms - so you can either complain to the RA, talk like an adult with the offending smoker, or look into living in a single or off campus. Pretty simple stuff, and probably a good lesson for dealing with things in the real world. Do you think nothing in life will ever annoy you, and how will you deal with it outside of a college setting?

Besides, if we are talking about legalization (not sure if that's the point of this thread), obviously that will make no difference. People will do drugs or other altering substances, always have and always will, regardless of the laws. Look how many folks here are encountering it, despite it not being legal in their state. So what's the difference?

Edit: Just noticed you live in an apartment, not a dorm, but the same basic advice applies... either talk to her nicely to see if a compromise can be met, complain to the landlord, or see about getting a different place. Life isn't always ideal, sometimes you have to adapt!

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-21-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
For the MAJORITY of people, no it is NOT a gateway drug.
But it's not accurate to say it's not a gateway drug. For many, it is.

Quote:
While it is true that there are other herbs that can treat glaucoma, marijuana is also an herb that can treat it. The thing is, one herb may help one person but not another. Marijuana is just one more herb in the arsenal of herbs to treat several maladies.
The herbs I listed are not mind-altering; marijuana is. And how many druggies who have glaucoma try those other herbs before using marijuana?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Since some people are visual learners:
Picture Source
Pinkmani, the potheads won't accept the data you posted. They will just say it's "government propaganda." But good data, useful data you posted, anyway.

Last edited by Fleet; 03-21-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 PM

25,576 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
....... How many deaths can be contributed to marijuana use? NONE! Let me repeat that: NO DEATHS CAN BE CONTRIBUTED TO MARIJUANA USE!!! ......
What has been documented is that habitual marijuana use by teenagers alters brain structure.
Heavy Marijuana Use Alters Teenage Brain Structure | Psychology Today
But you were right on one point; they were still alive. For a while, anyway. Some of them died later:

Quote:
As medical marijuana sales expanded into 20 states, legal weed was detected in the bodies of dead drivers three times more often during 2010 when compared to those who died behind the wheel in 1999, according to a new study from Columbia University published in the American Journal of Epidemiology.
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...-deaths-n22991
You can write in caps if you want. The truth is what it is.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
The amount of ignorance is in the Op is staggering. I don't see any supporting evidence - just a lot of far-right yelling-points: blaming "hippies" and so on.

As for the topic statement, there are a lot of people who are "delusional, irresponsible and short sighted." Many of them are extremists or idiots of various flavors, but as long as they aren't hurting anyone else, I don't want my tax dollars wasted chasing them or putting them in prison.

The same idea holds true of pot users. I have no idea what people see in the stuff, but the same can be said of: alcohol, tobacco, gambling, trolling bars for sleazy pickups, or buying into political extremism. One is probably better off not doing any of those things, but the role of law is prevent harm to others, not to legislate morality. As long as the pot user isn't hurting anyone else, I don't care what he's doing. If, however, he's doing something that can hurt others, such as driving while high, he can get the same fate as a person who's driving while drunk. It is simple enough and avoids wasting tax money on trying to enforce morality, which is a terrible idea.

Finally, I love the notion that pot is somehow causing the doom of this nation. Doom compared to what?
"Back the day" when one could get heroin and cocaine as legitimate drugs? Or, are we talking about the "good old 1950's" or so, when people smoked like chimneys and alcoholism was far more common? While I have no use for drugs like pot or those listed, it is disingenuous to act as if this is some unique point in American history where now - and only now - we've crossed some "turning point" into allowing drugs to filter into our lives.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Since some people are visual learners:

Picture Source
Cute picture, but in my 37 years on this planet, I have never met anyone who lost everything from pot alone - and I personally resemble the "before" picture more accurately (minus the gender difference), despite having smoked for over 20 years now. I have also lived in San Francisco, which probably has the worst homelessness problem in the nation, and can tell you they're not generally potheads... they are usually addicted to alcohol and/or hard drugs like crack, and in about 80% of cases suffer from untreated mental illness. So that photo is pure propaganda, especially considering it didn't even come from a real source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates