Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 05:57 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

What's worse than learning cursive writing?
Learning two mutually exclusive forms of cursive writing!

(Anyone remember the scene in the "Dirty Dozen" when they spill ink over the ledger, rather than sign in...? That was due to the fact that neither could write in the current Germanic cursive.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurrent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%BCtterlin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 07:12 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Wow, at least in cursive the letters are distinct. BCtterlin letters look so similar, eg. B and L. One must need to use context a lot to know what letter is written. Now that woud be tough.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:08 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Remember there was a time you could tell which Catholic elementary school by the style of their cursive handwriting.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I had dinner tonight with a group of professors who teach at a local liberal arts college. One does not allow use of electronics in his classroom because of the potential distractions. That means that the students must take notes. Cursive is faster than printing. He has noted that being able to write cursive (about 20% of his students do) affects the responses to his examination essay questions. Those who do not know cursive have a hard time answering the questions in the time allowed.
Cursive enables you to write quickly, and pen and paper will always be around. Printing is slow, and when you hurry it becomes very hard to read. There's also screens you can write with a pen if your so inclined.

I was taught to write letters properly, at a private school. When I got married, I did the invitations myself. My inlaws thought they were printed. It's nice to be able to write something which looks classy. But then without cursive I would never have had the notes I depended on in college. They looked scribbled, but I had my own shortcuts, and used arrows and such to show how things were related. If I'd had to print I'd have missed most of the information.

My hobby is writing and I do the manuscripts on the computer, but have a large pile of notes about characters, their history, when significant things happened, and so on, which I consult, but all that is in cursive. I can write very small and readable cursive too, but I use liquid ink pens so there is no friction. It's also permenant ink so if coffee gets spilled on the page, it dries and you can still read it.

With cursive if you have an idea you can take a pen and run with it since it can keep up with the speed your brain is running to you get it all down.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:14 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If I'd had to print I'd have missed most of the information.
More likely, you'd simply have learned to print much more quickly. It's not hard. Just look at how latter-day text crazies have learned to compose so quickly with just their stubby little thumbs.

Last edited by Reynard32; 10-18-2015 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 03:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Form committees and figure out all the other things we don't need to know. Then it will be much better when enemies wants to conquer our country. We will be a nation of know-nothings.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
More likely, you'd simply have learned to print more quickly. It's not hard. Just look at how latter-day text crazies have learned to compose so quickly with just their stubby little thumbs.
No, I don't think so. You have to pick up the pen to print. You change your hand position. You move the paper. Cursive flows and you can write out a lot in a very quick way. I used printing for emphasis in my notes.

When I write out something, before that, I've got notes which are written giving me a direction. And it requires a lot of editing to fix up the first draft since I let my fingers remember where they need to go. But its a first draft, and often like writing down the scene as you see it in your head. The hardest part is sometime coming up with this really great idea but figuring out it just isn't ever going to fit in the reality of that particular time/story/character. There is a place where all my people and their lives exist and I feel as if I'm drawing from them. Stream of consciousness is often something you do fast and just recording what you see/hear/feel. Edit later. There is also a definate part played by how the writing appears if written--the care, the defination of the letters, the slant of the lines, and so on, which changes with cursive depending on how much you're thinking of each individual word.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:47 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
I never thought it was such a big deal: in Italy what you call "learning cursive writing" is simply called "learning to write", no big deal,no fuss.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:32 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
What's the point of a lot of stuff? Why teach long division when a calculator does it in seconds. Know how many times I used long division in calculus, never.

I think cursive is still important. Being able to read our Constitution, prescriptions, old script, love letters, is all part of being a gentleman or lady. I actually write in cursive and in a way respect those who do a little more. Receiving a hand printed business letter seems so unprofessional. Cursive written on the other hand, especially if it is clean and practiced, is much more presentable.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
OP,
When writing a professional report, say you're career is in the LE community or the military, Law or Health Care, you better to do it in a professional manner or you can kiss your career good bye, most companies take reports very seriously. Thank you..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
So what's the professional manner? I would assume printed, being that so many people under the age of 35 can't read or write in cursive. I don't know about other parts of the country, but I grew up in the PNW and the school I attended went to d'nealian in the mid 80's. I would think that the military wouldn't even allow cursive writing on reports these days, as most of the kids joining the military these days can't interpret it. Add to this the fact that anyone that has learned English as a second language has no idea how to read cursive writing.

Also, I'm a physical therapist, and I can assure you that nothing in the rehab center that I work for is written in cursive outside of a personal note by one of the older secretaries or nurses. Any type of actual document or report is done in print. There is no rule to this that I know of, but all of our employees use print for everything but our signatures.
Officer Clark, when on duty, has to keep a daily journal and operations log. It has to be done in cursive. Why? Because cursive is much faster and if a report has to be written in a 5 minute time frame and handed in (remember, the report becomes a legal document). The fact is Officer Clark and his fellow officers would take at least three times as long to write out a report in block letter manuscript, and that does not guarantee it would be more legible.

Can you imagine your doctor writing out your prescriptions in manuscript?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates