Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:35 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times

Advertisements

I have ugly handwriting regardless if it's print or longhand. Some of us are just not born with those skills. Everybody in my family has beautiful handwriting. My ugly handwriting is not because I didn't practice, trust me I did plenty of drills. We had a silly teacher who made us buy a special paper that would tear up if we tried to erase it. She was convinced that would improve our handwriting. Yeah right.

Mavis Beacon teaches typing saved my life.

I really don't see the point of teaching longhand. Maybe teach how to read it in case you ever need to read old manuscripts or signatures(which I actually had to do in one of my past jobs), but to write it? No, it's totally pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 06:28 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
I see why cursive is being phased out of schools and not taught as much any more. Prevailing technologies now allows most of us not to hand-write much out any more. Curricula at schools change with the times.

I enjoyed learning cursive writing in schools. I generally have very nice handwriting. Sometime back, I also had a calligraphy class and enjoyed that as well. I have always admired beautiful handwriting.

Other than writing things down myself such as notes I take in an occasional similar, I only write letters to elderly people a few times a year who do not have computer access. Before using computers a lot, my times of handwriting have definitely waned.

Perhaps the only students who should learn cursive are those who plan to study history (literature or arts) in an academic setting. So many historical documents before 1900 were indeed hand-written.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:39 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Cursive was absolutely necessary at some point in time.

Try going to college back in the 70s or 80s and writing down an entire lecture in block letters. Actually, 2-3 a day. Good luck with that.

Also, writing in cursive does help to concentrate and memorize the material.

Although so does typing, to a lesser extent.

I think it's the computers that killed the cursive writing.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:57 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Some of us are just not born with those skills.
Nobody is born with it.

Like anything, it's a skill that has to be learned.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:50 AM

57 posts, read 48,841 times
There is no point in teaching cursive in modern society. It's a complete waste of time, time that could be used instead to teach skills that actually matter in the modern world.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Cursive writing is being phased out of the educational system in a lot of parts of the country. I keep hearing people freak out about this, but I don't really see the point of teaching cursive writing to our kids. We're not exactly dipping pens in ink these days, so what's the big deal? Printing is so much easier to read anyways, and with all the time that is wasted on teaching cursive, kids could be learning something useful like typing or another language.

Give me an actual legit reason for teaching cursive writing to all students. To me it's seems like teaching old English. It obviously would be important for a historian or something of that nature, but it has no place in modern society IMO.
What's the point of teaching math? Everyone has a smartphone with a calculator on it. What's the point of teaching anything if you think that teaching cursive writing is a waste?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:12 PM

57 posts, read 48,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
What's the point of teaching math? Everyone has a smartphone with a calculator on it. What's the point of teaching anything if you think that teaching cursive writing is a waste?
Math is actually a skill that is used in everyday life. Cursive is redundant, it's a fancier form of normal writing that is harder to read. It's not used in modern society. Schools should teach skills used in modern society. Anyone who's worked in mathematical fields can tell you that calculators, unlike normal printed writing, do not make mathematical skills redundant.

The least schools can do is stop scaring kids into thinking they need perfect cursive in oder to survive college, because in modern college you don't need to know cursive. In college you are punished for using cursive because unlike 5th grade teachers college professors know it's the 21st century and not the 19th! Utterly disgusting to see a child worried about their future because they're having trouble with cursive even though they can get As in math and science, while a child who gets Cs in math and science and an A in cursive is OK. Pathetic waste of time accomplishing nothing but holding students back.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:30 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Some people are saying that cursive needs to be taught so you can take notes when no computer is available. I take notes with hand printing (I'm actually faster at printing than cursive due to trying to make the cursive more perfect). And there's no real reason to make police reports be cursive to prove they are hand written by the officer.

And let's not talk about signatures and cursive. Most signatures are cursive only in that they are connected "letters" and barely legible. Is that an "i", an "e", or a lazy "r?" Often hard to tell. A "b?" An "l?" Is it an "h" or an "l" and "n" together? Often no way of knowing. Capital "M's" that look like capital "N's" so you get the name wrong right off the bat. Is that bump in the line another letter or two? Maybe. But what letter?

There's a reason computer text is printed, not cursive. It's more legible and easier to read and interpret without wading though individual style. Ironic to talk about cursive in a medium that doesn't contain any of it, except in extremely rare occasions. I look around me right now at business cards, product packaging, magazine covers, etc. and see no cursive. Wonder why that is if it's so much more legible? We don't use much cursive in engineering, architecture or drafting, though there is a definite handwriting font style used in those disciplines for clarity and legibility.

Can I read cursive? Yes, as well as Olde English and numerous other classical font styles. But do I see it as a necessary curriculum? No. It's something that could be an elective for those that are interested in it as historical field of study or art form.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:43 AM

3,852 posts, read 2,228,506 times
You can read Old English?

Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
You can read Old English?

yeah, and Latin and working on pre-Gaelic runes. None of which are required curriculum anywhere.

And of course, I can easily read the various ornate calligraphic fonts that are used for many Olde English and Latin documents, which many people can't. But again, it's not a required curriculum anywhere. Which is why I say, cursive should be an elective for those that are interested in it, but not required.

Many people who love cursive would still have a hard time reading a document in this:

It's just a lost writing style, except to people who are interested in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates