Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:33 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times

Advertisements

My overall impression has been three pronged about this thread. There seems to be three good solid ideas about how to handle the Cartels:

1) Legalize drugs (remove prohibition), taxation, and control the flow ourselves.

2) Tighten our borders, bring home troops abroad and add to the border patrols.

3) Military action against the Cartels.

We are pretty deep into this thread now and these are the three prevailing ideas about how to handle the current crisis we have down south.

Of these three, which is the most doable?

Old 04-26-2014, 07:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
My overall impression has been three pronged about this thread.
There seems to be three good solid ideas about how to handle the Cartels:
I'd say there are only two:
1) Re-Legalize & Re-Medicalize...
2) Tighten our borders...
Though the second probably isn't even needed if the first is done right.

The ramblings and rantings of crackpots don't really count for much:

Quote:
#1. It could be achieved by the end of business on Friday

Old 04-26-2014, 10:44 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
We should absolutely tighten our borders and put troops along it. It will never happen though as both political parties must vie for the Latino vote. Sad how many decisions are made not whats best for the country, but how parties will remain in power.

Legalize drugs is insane. Marijuana....who cares? But you really want your children walking around in an environment where cocaine and heroin are legal?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
We should absolutely tighten our borders and put troops along it. It will never happen though as both political parties must vie for the Latino vote. Sad how many decisions are made not whats best for the country, but how parties will remain in power.

Legalize drugs is insane. Marijuana....who cares? But you really want your children walking around in an environment where cocaine and heroin are legal?
My response to that would be: "I'm not sure. As the father of 4 kids, and a previous drug user (hard stuff), I can say that the reason I got into drugs was because it was the cool party thing to do. Removing prohibition would probably have similar results to what happened in Holland when they legalized pot. Pot because boring and only fun for the tourists. Because it wasn't cool anymore, kids moved on to different things.

Would I rather them buy drugs from a 15 year old strapped MS13 gang member or from CVS pharmacy? That's a really tough question to answer.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:39 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
My overall impression has been three pronged about this thread. There seems to be three good solid ideas about how to handle the Cartels:

1) Legalize drugs (remove prohibition), taxation, and control the flow ourselves.

2) Tighten our borders, bring home troops abroad and add to the border patrols.

We are pretty deep into this thread now and these are the three prevailing ideas about how to handle the current crisis we have down south.

Legalization, without a doubt. There has already been a significant hit to cartel profits with Colorado's full legalization of marijuana, and as Washington and other states go the legalization route, it will decimate their bottom line. Will cartels still exist if marijuana, or all drugs for that matter, are legal? Sure....but they won't have nearly the pull they have now...which means their power over Mexico as a whole will diminish to the point they may actually be controlled.
"Tightening the borders" is just political lip service. Our borders are already heavily patrolled, and no amount of manpower will prevent 100% of contraband or smuggled persons from coming over the border. When there is a large profit to be had, there is always a means to make it happen. Removing that incentive is the answer.
And I am also a parent. Education begins in the home; it doesn't require government to tell us which drugs are bad (weed, coke, meth, heroin) or good (tobacco, booze, pills).

Old 04-27-2014, 01:04 AM

50 posts, read 111,083 times
Simple rewards for turning over drugs drug dealers ect .if you turn in information on the were abouts of drugs or a dealer to the police they reward you with the street value of the bust.this should include
Anything forfeited by the homes cars ect.Right now just the goverment gets their money's have an open season let the people profit on the war on drugs not just the police and fed gov

Old 04-27-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell1949 View Post
Simple rewards for turning over drugs drug dealers ect .if you turn in information on the were abouts of drugs or a dealer to the police they reward you with the street value of the bust.this should include
Anything forfeited by the homes cars ect.Right now just the goverment gets their money's have an open season let the people profit on the war on drugs not just the police and fed gov
Not a bad idea, but, I could see how many people would exploit this by using the Govt money to just pay for their drugs..

Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
First, of course, legalize mj.

We have the ability to strike key personnel in countries on the other side of the planet. Countries that pose no threat us. Yet right in our backyard is a country whose state of affairs is becoming a threat. Focus our efforts South of the border. Use drones to blow those orgs apart person by person, starting with their upper leadership, then work our way down. Chainsaws and beheading won't find off hell fire missiles.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

The only thing I disagree about is that he stated that Holland said by making it legal for 16 and above at coffee houses, they made mj boring. Well, alcohol is legal for adults, and for many, it's not boring. I'm not so sure it would become boring by making it legal.

Regardless, it leaves plenty for one to think about.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

The only thing I disagree about is that he stated that Holland said by making it legal for 16 and above at coffee houses, they made mj boring. Well, alcohol is legal for adults, and for many, it's not boring. I'm not so sure it would become boring by making it legal.

Regardless, it leaves plenty for one to think about.
He has one of the better policies and some of the best ideas I've seen on the subject to date....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates