Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Thanks! It felt like I was the only one concerned with this issue where I live, I'm glad to see others are paying attention...
Actually, I have you to thank for the refresher course. The cartels have always been on my radar but browsing through El Blog Del Narco gave me a couple of wake up shocks. I encourage anyone who dismisses the cartel's power to read a few pages.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:04 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
As long as it is mostly Mexicans killing other Mexicans, I could care less. But if they start bringing their barbaric cartel violence to my Gringo community, than it is on like donkey kong. I live in a community where a high percentage of people are armed to the teeth. We love our 2nd amendment in my community.
I won't be the one to attack you for this viewpoint, because it's the one carried by the vast majority of Americans. If we aren't personally affected by something, we don't care.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Actually, I have you to thank for the refresher course. The cartels have always been on my radar but browsing through El Blog Del Narco gave me a couple of wake up shocks. I encourage anyone who dismisses the cartel's power to read a few pages.
It's disgusting and shocking to see what animals our need for drugs have created.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:00 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
It's disgusting and shocking to see what animals our need for drugs have created.
It's disgusting and shocking to see what animals the
insistence on perpetuating a failed model of prohibition and criminality have created.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:12 PM

781 posts, read 736,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
insistence on perpetuating a failed model of prohibition and criminality have created.
True. All the war on drugs has succeeded in doing is make these people rich and extremely powerful. Nothing succeeds quite like absolute failure for some people....

Old 04-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
+1 My point exactly, something's gotta change.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:27 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
+1 My point exactly...
It is? The last time it was mentioned you dismissed the notion.

Quote:
...something's gotta change.
Yeah... The M-O-N-E-Y
Get it out of the equation.

You asked what is the solution:
Quote:
The same one that every other thread on the topic boils down to.

Re-Legalize all natural state.
Re-Medicalize all pharmaceuticals and synthetics.

Since it's all about the M-O-N-E-Y...
Until the money is dealt with... all the rest is just a sad circle jerk.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 PM

I agree with you that prohibition is part of the problem and that something has to change yes..

Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 PM

265 posts, read 409,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Let's face it, this pretty much boils down to drugs. Cocaine, heroin and marijuana with some meth and ecstasy throw in on the side. Until we deal with the drug issue on this side of the border, the cartel's will be there to take advantage of the situation. As somebody noted, there's been a dent in the marijuana trade albeit a minor one. However, as long as it's illegal anywhere (and we have the DEA screwing with our medical marijuana states) the cartels will traffic the stuff across the border as well as send people into our national forests to grow it right here. 1st step in combating the cartels, legalize weed across the board.

The harder drugs are a tougher issue but legalizing and regulating them may ultimately be the answer. Junkies are gonna feen no matter the legality. By regulating the harder drugs and prescribing them you help identify the user base and can manipulate treatment programs. You will also stop the spread of Hepatitis and AIDS and have a safer product for public consumption. Sounds crazy but keep this in mind, as much as the DEA and the media hype the hard drug problem, about 1% of the population consumes 80% of the hard drugs in the US. Making hard drugs legal would have little affect on the common man.

That being said, I doubt we'll see the legalization of hard drugs across the board for years to come........look what a battle it's been to re-legalize a harmless weed. So the other alternative is to combat these cartels with US troops. How about we close at least half of our overseas bases and put that excess manpower along the Southern border? Just in Germany, South Korea and Japan alone we have over 100,000 troops. Imagine what a difference half that number would make sweeping the border 24/7..........and if we took the fight to the cartels, I doubt they'd last long pitted against our military.

As somebody else said, it's all about the money. Take away the demand and the cartels will wither away... but with all the money being made by them now, I imagine they've bought some very powerful allies in Washington.
Who gonna give that order? Who is gonna throw their political career (and earning potential) to the wolves for America?

Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
Who gonna give that order? Who is gonna throw their political career (and earning potential) to the wolves for America?
Hopefully someone will actually step up and unify this country at some point. Maybe someone in politics is in it for the right reasons, and not the money. Perhaps that person can step up, put their career on the line and lead us. For every great movement in history, it took a great leader to get the movement started...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates