Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:42 PM

63,503 posts, read 29,523,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you look at what is actually happening its segregation by idealogy in this nation. This is a huge nation and their is room for everyone to gather in cultural and social groups as always. This leads to what you see in less and less federal control as states even ignore federal laws themselves. We call it the red and blue states now but even within states its further broke down. In many ways we are going back to past and less and less a melting pot.
And that is very unfortunate because it is akin to balkanization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Are you saying that if you lived in say Germany or France & you were friends with another American, you wouldn't speak english with each other? Please, of course you would. That's just the way it is. If you're with your peers you'll speak that language. Now if you're talking about being in public doing say business transactions, then sure speak english. Otherwise, have at it, no skin off my back. Sometimes I try to figure out what they're saying as I listen in on their conversation, lol. I can never figure it out but whatever, it fills the time.
If the conversation was in earshot of native Germans, the French then yes I would have the conversation in the language of that country and not in English.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,622,875 times
Lol, ok. Somehow I just highly doubt that, I really do.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:35 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,515,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I was once told by another guy (of mixed-ancestry; 5 types) "You're from the 'Old way of thinking', and anyone who thinks like you isn't going to last for long.

This, after I had told him in a discussion that for all the 'races' to get-along, we simply have to learn to respect one-anothers' traditions, ways and religion(s), etc... And that tolerance goes both ways.

His argument was: "The only way for ALL people to EVER get-along and have Peace.. we all have to become 1 Race."

He went on to tell me (in so many words) that He was "superior" to me and more advanced (in maturity and other ways) because he was of 5 or more races, thus he had an understanding and "compassion" for all people.

His solution was: We have to Accept the "Melting Pot" and assimilate because it's going to happen anyway, and we are only fighting the inevitable by resisting.

I took his words in a sort of threatening manner, (since he was nottalking 'to' me, he was talking 'AT' me;almost daring me to disagree) and could tell that it was going to lead to a serious argument or worse.

So I left it at that.

Still, I believe he was wrong. And I wonder what others think about Society; whether or not we should
all forget our "roots" our "race" our "past(s)" and just become ONE HUGE RACE of 'mixed people' ..... ?

I may come on as sounding like a "racist"... but I don't believe his answer is THE answer to World Peace.
But that guy was of mixed ancestry though. So that is a convenience that other people do not have. Those of us that are primarily of one ancestry, typically, have a choice to make. I have no problems with people of mixed ancestry, but a lot of them want to tell me how I should feel, as a Black person, when they are, and are not, Black, at the same time. People do not perceive them the same way, and depending on the mix, people do not see them as being African-American.

He wants you to accept the melting pot to assuage his own concerns, hang-ups, issues, etc. It is not out of genuine concern for you and your worldview. He doesn't care about others worldview, he just wants to everyone to come around to his.

You can't say that, in 2050, 2085, etc. "everyone will be mixed anyway so we may as well just accept this as our reality now". That is a moot point. The issue I am having is now, in the present, so you are making a straw man's argument. No what you're really saying in that is, "it is an inevitability that most people will be mixed, like I am, so you will be in the minority and you will be forced to accept this melting pot". What if it doesn't happen in his lifetime? What it doesn't happen for another 5 or 10 generations? Plus, what makes him think that it will happen at all; most people are primarily attracted to their own "race", and I don't see people fighting over each other to "breed" with mixed people. Results will vary but the knife cuts both ways.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 PM

8,578 posts, read 8,605,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Lol. Its quite funny that so many people are just beside themselves at that fact that most Black women in the U.S. are generally not interested in interracial dating or marriage. .

You are aware that black women are the loneliest women in the USA. In part because the gap between the % of black women with college degrees vs. black men is even higher than is the case for other groups. And in part because black men (both those with and without college degrees) are now marrying white, and a lesser degree Asian and Hispanic women at an almost 25% rate.

So black women, and ESPECIALLY college educated black women, are the least likely to have partners.

This is obviously not a topic that black women don't consider to be important.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's like living in a foreign country, .

No, its called living in the USA, a nation which prides itself in its, immigrant origins, and its multi ethnic and multi cultural diversity.

Most Hispanics are here legally. Do you know that only undocumented Hispanics speak Spanish in public?

And how are Hispanics pandered to?

In order to become a citizen one must demonstrate a knowledge of English. To read it and to speak it. No habla ingles, no US citizenship!

In order to get a job other than cutting grass, cleaning toilets, or washing dishes one must speak English, and be able to read it was well. No habla ingles, well then one will stay poor for ever.

So tell me again how Hispanics are being pandered to? Are you suggesting that they are an unambitious people, content to remain poor, and to ensure that their kids do no better?

Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
But that guy was of mixed ancestry

Mexicans are mainly mixed but their problems are in most cases worse than ours.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:52 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,515,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Mexicans are mainly mixed but their problems are in most cases worse than ours.
But that isn't our problem. It goes back to what I was saying earlier; Latinos and others of mixed ancestry will be the majority in the future, but if you look at how the OP framed the scenario I still call it the same way. They wanted us to assuage their concerns as though they were our own and they're not. We have our own issues with assimilation, as Black people; now the OP stated that it goes both ways, which it does. If I am tolerate of your views why can't you be tolerate of mine? Do you really want to be part of this culture, or do you just want the benefits of having lived here?

So if someone of mixed ancestry told you that they were better than you, because of this, how is that any different than the Aryan mindset or any other racist mindset that says that I am better than you because of my race? How is anyone better than anyone else, off of racial composition alone? There is no "one race" there will never be "one race"; we're all mixed and even if we all looked the same the composition would vary wildly from one person to the next. That guy still sees color, even though this runs in difference to what he preached.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
No, its called living in the USA, a nation which prides itself in its, immigrant origins, and its multi ethnic and multi cultural diversity.

Most Hispanics are here legally. Do you know that only undocumented Hispanics speak Spanish in public?

And how are Hispanics pandered to?

In order to become a citizen one must demonstrate a knowledge of English. To read it and to speak it. No habla ingles, no US citizenship!

In order to get a job other than cutting grass, cleaning toilets, or washing dishes one must speak English, and be able to read it was well. No habla ingles, well then one will stay poor for ever.

So tell me again how Hispanics are being pandered to? Are you suggesting that they are an unambitious people, content to remain poor, and to ensure that their kids do no better?
Wrong! We have one "identifying dominant" culture and language. All others are just minority ones so we are not multi-cultural per se.

Never said that most Hispanics aren't here legally, did I? You couldn't be more wrong that it is only illegal alien Hispanics that are constantly speaking Spanish in public. I know, I live in the thick of it.

How are Hispanics being catered to? You're kidding, right? Just about every business and our government provides a Spanish translation to everything. How about "press 2 for Spanish" on your phone? Hispanics are even being favored in hiring practices by denying jobs to native English speakers who can't also speak Spanish.

You're right in most cases (except the elderly) an immigrant must know English to gain citizenship. However, that's not the point. The point is that they don't "speak" it out in public and it doesn't matter whether they are here legally or illegally it's all the same.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:14 AM

172 posts, read 275,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I was once told by another guy (of mixed-ancestry; 5 types) "You're from the 'Old way of thinking', and anyone who thinks like you isn't going to last for long.

This, after I had told him in a discussion that for all the 'races' to get-along, we simply have to learn to respect one-anothers' traditions, ways and religion(s), etc... And that tolerance goes both ways.

His argument was: "The only way for ALL people to EVER get-along and have Peace.. we all have to become 1 Race."

He went on to tell me (in so many words) that He was "superior" to me and more advanced (in maturity and other ways) because he was of 5 or more races, thus he had an understanding and "compassion" for all people.

His solution was: We have to Accept the "Melting Pot" and assimilate because it's going to happen anyway, and we are only fighting the inevitable by resisting.

I took his words in a sort of threatening manner, (since he was nottalking 'to' me, he was talking 'AT' me;almost daring me to disagree) and could tell that it was going to lead to a serious argument or worse.

So I left it at that.

Still, I believe he was wrong. And I wonder what others think about Society; whether or not we should
all forget our "roots" our "race" our "past(s)" and just become ONE HUGE RACE of 'mixed people' ..... ?

I may come on as sounding like a "racist"... but I don't believe his answer is THE answer to World Peace.
I go along but I don't like that fact that I have to deal with 50 different cultures in 1 day. It is stressful and not fun. Also, there is no freedom of speech in the US. If you say something offensive, you can be fired or blackballed or get into a fight and society will side with the person being offended.

Moderator cut: against TOS So, yeah, go along. Otherwise, the man will banish you. Your coworker is right.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-08-2014 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates