Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,603,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wrong! We have one "identifying dominant" culture and language. All others are just minority ones so we are not multi-cultural per se.

Never said that most Hispanics aren't here legally, did I? You couldn't be more wrong that it is only illegal alien Hispanics that are constantly speaking Spanish in public. I know, I live in the thick of it.

How are Hispanics being catered to? You're kidding, right? Just about every business and our government provides a Spanish translation to everything. How about "press 2 for Spanish" on your phone? Hispanics are even being favored in hiring practices by denying jobs to native English speakers who can't also speak Spanish.

You're right in most cases (except the elderly) an immigrant must know English to gain citizenship. However, that's not the point. The point is that they don't "speak" it out in public and it doesn't matter whether they are here legally or illegally it's all the same.
Uh, could you point out what the one identifying dominant culture is here? Is it Nascar? Shooting guns? Pressing 2 for spanish is pandering? Does it take that much work for someone to press 1 for english? I didn't realize I was being so burdened all this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 PM

63,275 posts, read 29,369,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Uh, could you point out what the one identifying dominant culture is here? Is it Nascar? Shooting guns? Pressing 2 for spanish is pandering? Does it take that much work for someone to press 1 for english? I didn't realize I was being so burdened all this time.
You must be joking if you don't know that we have a dominant culture and a part of it is the English language. Are we Hispanic in identity as a country? Are we Asian in identity as a country? I'd keep going but you must have gotten it my now. If not, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's not about burden having to press 2 for Spanish but pandering to one certain ethnic group. Where's the press 1 for German, etc.? English is our language don't like it then wing it on your own.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,578,600 times
Quote:
Wrong! We have one "identifying dominant" culture .

Wrong on two counts.

1. There is no DOMINANT US culture. Why don't you come to NYC and tell the Italians, Irish, and Jews that they ought to behave like the WASPs? In the NY metro area the Westchester culture is VERY different from the Long Island! And don't let us talk about Jersey Shore! And these are all American.

2. The MAJORITY of Hispanics are FULLY COMPETENT in English.

YOU have a discomfort in hearing foreign languages, and if that is an issue, just get up and move away!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
You must be joking if you don't know that we have a dominant culture and a part of it is the English language. Are we Hispanic in identity as a country? Are we Asian in identity as a country? I'd keep going but you must have gotten it my now. If not, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's not about burden having to press 2 for Spanish but pandering to one certain ethnic group. Where's the press 1 for German, etc.? English is our language don't like it then wing it on your own.

In NYC it is press ONE for Spanish, TWO for Russian, THREE for Chinese, FOUR for Italian, FIVE for Korean, so why your angst at Hispanics?

Old 06-11-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In NYC it is press ONE for Spanish, TWO for Russian, THREE for Chinese, FOUR for Italian, FIVE for Korean, so why your angst at Hispanics?
That's not the way it is in most of the country. Why ONE for Spanish? Shouldn't it be ONE for English?

Old 06-11-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Wrong on two counts.

1. There is no DOMINANT US culture. Why don't you come to NYC and tell the Italians, Irish, and Jews that they ought to behave like the WASPs? In the NY metro area the Westchester culture is VERY different from the Long Island! And don't let us talk about Jersey Shore! And these are all American.

2. The MAJORITY of Hispanics are FULLY COMPETENT in English.

YOU have a discomfort in hearing foreign languages, and if that is an issue, just get up and move away!
You can remain in denial all you want but those are all minority cultures in the U.S. I don't know about the majority of Hispanics being FULLY competent in English but they sure don't like to speak it and that's my point. If they are fully competent then why the press (whatever) for Spanish on the phone? Kind of blows holes in your claims, doesn't it?

It isn't always possible to "move away" when someone is babbling in Spanish where I live. You are surrounded by it. Why is it that you think that native English speakers should have to adapt rather than the other way around?

Old 06-11-2014, 04:37 PM

31,270 posts, read 22,268,814 times
Quote:
You can remain in denial all you want but those are all minority cultures in the U.S. I don't know about the majority of Hispanics being FULLY competent in English but they sure don't like to speak it and that's my point. If they are fully competent then why the press (whatever) for Spanish on the phone? Kind of blows holes in your claims, doesn't it?

It isn't always possible to "move away" when someone is babbling in Spanish where I live. You are surrounded by it. Why is it that you think that native English speakers should have to adapt rather than the other way around?
Anybody that doesn't learn English in this country is at a severe disadvantage and new comers know it. The common language that binds people together here is English, regardless if their family originally spoke Spanish, French, German, Arabic or Swahili. And thanks to the British it is the common language used across the globe. I have some older relatives that speak Spanish as their original language but their children and grand children all speak English as their Native language. Quebec is a good example of what a different language can do to a country.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/24/bu...inds.html?_r=0

Shows that over 80% of Hispanics get at least some of their news through English language media. Not only do the bulk of them access English language media but the % who do is INCREASING.

So I don't know about your angst that the USA will soon be a state of Mexico.

So what is the "majority" culture? This is the USA, a land which has always been multi lingual and multi cultural from its inception, despite the attempts of nativists to crush that.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Anybody that doesn't learn English in this country is at a severe disadvantage and new comers know it. The common language that binds people together here is English, regardless if their family originally spoke Spanish, French, German, Arabic or Swahili. And thanks to the British it is the common language used across the globe. I have some older relatives that speak Spanish as their original language but their children and grand children all speak English as their Native language. Quebec is a good example of what a different language can do to a country.

Please let him know this. Most nativists have this notion that the USA belongs to them alone, and they alone should define what "majority" culture is. I have yet to meet a Mexican/Central American bus boy whose English wasn't quite fluent. They have no desire to be washing dishes for the rest of their lives. I also see nothing wrong with bilingual people. Indeed its in the interest of this country if more people became bilingual. Once some one has strong competencies in two languages, its easier for them to learn a third.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 PM

658 posts, read 850,113 times
Quote:
You are aware that black women are the loneliest women in the USA. In part because the gap between the % of black women with college degrees vs. black men is even higher than is the case for other groups. And in part because black men (both those with and without college degrees) are now marrying white, and a lesser degree Asian and Hispanic women at an almost 25% rate.

So black women, and ESPECIALLY college educated black women, are the least likely to have partners.

This is obviously not a topic that black women don't consider to be important.

I didn't know there was a statistical measurement for loneliness amongst all races? Black women, the loneliest?

From what I have been told, loneliness can occur even in crowds, heck people are lonely in their marriages, so how did you pick out Black women as being the loneliest women in the USA?

Black men still marry black women on a larger scale than they do other races.

Please stop and I hope you are not a black woman spouting this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates