Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:30 PM

205 posts, read 245,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I was once told by another guy (of mixed-ancestry; 5 types) "You're from the 'Old way of thinking', and anyone who thinks like you isn't going to last for long.

This, after I had told him in a discussion that for all the 'races' to get-along, we simply have to learn to respect one-anothers' traditions, ways and religion(s), etc... And that tolerance goes both ways.

His argument was: "The only way for ALL people to EVER get-along and have Peace.. we all have to become 1 Race."

He went on to tell me (in so many words) that He was "superior" to me and more advanced (in maturity and other ways) because he was of 5 or more races, thus he had an understanding and "compassion" for all people.

His solution was: We have to Accept the "Melting Pot" and assimilate because it's going to happen anyway, and we are only fighting the inevitable by resisting.

I took his words in a sort of threatening manner, (since he was nottalking 'to' me, he was talking 'AT' me;almost daring me to disagree) and could tell that it was going to lead to a serious argument or worse.

So I left it at that.

Still, I believe he was wrong. And I wonder what others think about Society; whether or not we should
all forget our "roots" our "race" our "past(s)" and just become ONE HUGE RACE of 'mixed people' ..... ?

I may come on as sounding like a "racist"... but I don't believe his answer is THE answer to World Peace.
Wow, in a way, it's kinda messed up. In another "twisted way", I see where he is coming from. He is looking at the mixing of all races as a sort of "super race". Interesting, because everyone has skills, every race I think has skills and does things better than another, that's what makes us all different. With all that mixing, maybe that's what he was talking about, however, saying he was better than you is wrong and its good that you left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Why would someone permanently live in a different country yet refuse to adopt anything from the culture? That makes no sense. It doesn't matter if you're an American or not. If you're going to live there, adopt the culture. If you don't like the culture, leave. If living there as an American makes you uncomfortable to adopt the culture, give up the citizenship and become a citizen of that country. It's not that difficult.
People here don't have to adopt anything. I don't like the culture that we have here sometimes and I am American. Where should I go, hmm? It's not that easy to just get up and move to another country, if you actually knew anything about it then you would know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who has said that the European immigrants immediately forgot their languages? In a public place within earshot of others I still think it is rude to speak a foreign language if you know how to speak English. If you don't agree then so be it. It doesn't matter what language or languages were spoken in this country first it still doesn't change the fact that we adopted English as our de facto national language and that is the point!
It's not rude and only you think that. If you don't like it, then leave the area. If you can't suck it up and deal with it.I like to learn languages, so if i want to say practice French and im in the park and you hear my conversation, all of a sudden I am being rude? No, the rude person is the person eavesdropping to begin with. I would love someone to come up to me though and tell me that I am being rude. I would politely explain to them that its my right as an American for freedom of expression which includes speaking multiple languages, if they continued with the issue, then it might not go so well for them as I have a low tolerance for ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,560,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
That is SO TRUE
I hear that African American women despise Black men who marry out of their own race.
Thus what you say rings true to everything I've heard and seen.

No disrespect to you or to anyone who disagrees.
But I respect that decision to hold your men to a certain standard;
that is: Give someone from your own race a chance, before looking
Past them and "falling" in love with the "pretty white girl". :/

(not to disrespect White people, either; just making a point)

This entire interracial thing has African American men and women in a really bad place right now. Both genders who date and marry interracially seem to despise each other, and they seem to despise those of us who don't want to be in interracial relationships. They have a huge problem with Black men and women choosing to be with each other. I simply wish both sides would become at peace with their own choices, and let the rest of us live in peace as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM

63,270 posts, read 29,369,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
Wow, in a way, it's kinda messed up. In another "twisted way", I see where he is coming from. He is looking at the mixing of all races as a sort of "super race". Interesting, because everyone has skills, every race I think has skills and does things better than another, that's what makes us all different. With all that mixing, maybe that's what he was talking about, however, saying he was better than you is wrong and its good that you left.

People here don't have to adopt anything. I don't like the culture that we have here sometimes and I am American. Where should I go, hmm? It's not that easy to just get up and move to another country, if you actually knew anything about it then you would know that.

It's not rude and only you think that. If you don't like it, then leave the area. If you can't suck it up and deal with it.I like to learn languages, so if i want to say practice French and im in the park and you hear my conversation, all of a sudden I am being rude? No, the rude person is the person eavesdropping to begin with. I would love someone to come up to me though and tell me that I am being rude. I would politely explain to them that its my right as an American for freedom of expression which includes speaking multiple languages, if they continued with the issue, then it might not go so well for them as I have a low tolerance for ignorance.
Only me? You couldn't be more wrong. And yes it is rude. I have lived here before the invasion so why should I be the one to leave? Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines I said I am not eavesdropping nor am I interested in what these people are saying but they are being loud about it and it's everywhere. It's not about rights it's about rudeness. As I said, I may have the right to spit on the sidewalk but it's still rude. If I want to learn another language it will be of my own choosing not one who's group refuses to assimilate into our country.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-16-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 PM

20,135 posts, read 16,240,744 times
Quote:
Who has said that the European immigrants immediately forgot their languages? In a public place within earshot of others I still think it is rude to speak a foreign language if you know how to speak English. If you don't agree then so be it. It doesn't matter what language or languages were spoken in this country first it still doesn't change the fact that we adopted English as our de facto national language and that is the point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
Quote:
Only me? You couldn't be more wrong. And yes it is rude. I have lived here before the invasion so why should I be the one to leave? Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines I said I am not eavesdropping nor am I interested in what these people are saying but they are being loud about it and it's everywhere. It's not about rights it's about rudeness. As I said, I may have the right to spit on the sidewalk but it's still rude. If I want to learn another language it will be of my own choosing not one who's group refuses to assimilate into our country.
At this point there have been so many posts on this that it borders on thread hijacking and you are now mostly rehashing the same previously stated points. Both of your position are abundantly clear and from this juncture forward you are both going to agree to disagree. Any future posts with references to this will be deleted.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:46 PM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,695,185 times
I used to live in a place where most people were white but had different appearances. I got married and moved close to several military bases where lots of people were different. I moved to another area and worked with basically two races, black and white. I was always taught to be nice to everybody and I was.

People are different. Through this and a few more moves I became educated and learned who I wanted to be around. I met a white girl in Denver, Colorado, who taught school AND sang at a nightclub. This would be unheard of where I came from. Nightclubs and teachers were usually not talked about in the same sentence.

Then we were discussing some of the people who moved into Charlotte from less polite areas in Sunday school class one day when another country girl like me made a revelation. She said she used to live in an area where there were fewer people and everybody was friendly with everybody. She said she now lives in a more populated area where people can pick and choose who they wanted to be friends with. You can still be nice to everybody; but you don't have to choose to be friends with everybody.

Good idea. I reserve the right to be friends with only people I want to be friends with and I don't pick my friends by race, nationality, etc. I pick friends who have similar interests to me. But I feel no responsibility in making sure my friends are diverse. I would consider that picking my friends because of their skin color. I think that is what some people think we should do. If that is what they want to do; more power to them, but realize others have a right to choose their friends however they choose too.

Last edited by NCN; 06-16-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 11:28 AM

31,272 posts, read 22,268,814 times
"Is it better to Assimilate into the "Melting Pot" just to 'get-along'? "
If it increases my(our societies) happiness and well being I'm for it. If not, screw it.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:37 PM

297 posts, read 477,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is the great mystery. Why does this upset people? Diversity is enriching. Heaven forbid any Native English speakers actually learn any of these languages others in our midst are speaking! No, we can't have that!

All the US gov't requires is that immigrants know enough English to get their business done in shops and gov't offices, and to learn the basics of US history for the citizenship exam, if they choose to become citizens. That's the way it's always been, through Republican and Democratic governments. If the government is happy with that standard, why would some citizens have a problem with it?
Wouldn't that be a beautiful thing. ?

I mean, other people and races from different countries around the world are allowed and
welcomed to live in the United States,

And when they they get here no one cares enough to be interested in learning
about the new immigrants' culture,
or to learn their language;

People here are very selfish, and expect others to Speak English,
and have no interest in learning new languages,
just out of genuine interest of others and their ways.

It is sad. We could be learning SO much, but nobody cares.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 PM

297 posts, read 477,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyadra42 View Post
I lived on the rez for some years in the town of Kayenta at the base of Monument Valley. They are the poorest of the poor. Yes there are some elders who can not speak English and can only speak Navajo, however they are dying out. All Navajo children learn at either a BIA school or a normal state run school, and from what I have seen they do surprisingly well with learning English.
THAT is what I'm talking about; Why I started this thread.
Seems like there are people out there who want to get rid of
or 'kill-off' others who are full-blood (of any race)
as a way to make some sort of 'peace'.

But being full-blooded "ANYTHING" is a beautiful thing.
A rare occurrence here in the United States.

Those elders need to pass their knowledge
before it dies with them.

I wish "I" was full blooded at times.
But Grandfather knows that in my heart,
I belong to the people. And where I stand;
and to him, I AM;

...as a human being, and respecter of ALL
walks of life.

(here, on the internet, it's easy to become
like everyone else, and be disrespectful;
which I am guilty of. :/ .
But that is not how I am in person. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates