Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:19 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,578,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
-- but if someone is really into their cultural roots, why not go back home.

OK so all Texans and Georgians living on NYC, hop to it back home! Same thing for NYers living in California or FL.

While we are at it, why not send back every one other than the Native Americans! I mean who is to say which culture is "American" and which isn't?

Yes every one must speak English, though maintaining their own languages is fine. There are a certain core ways of doing business, etc., which people need to become familiar with. But I think that most people can manage the basics and still maintain much of their culture.

Do you ask the tens of thousands of Americans living in France only to speak French?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 PM

297 posts, read 477,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
What you need to ask is how do Americans behave when they settle overseas. Do they cling to each other in US only colonies, setting up "American" schools? Or do they try to fit in? How many learn the local language?
That's an intriguing thought. Never really thought about that.

I just assumed that when Americans move to other countries , that they try their best to learn the native language, and
try to fit-in as best as possible.

But they probably make their own English-speaking "colonies", or whatever, when their numbers get big. Pretty much what other immigrants do here (ie: asians who start their own "Chinatown(s)).

For the most part, I imagine that they have to try to go with the culture-majority. ? ?

I wonder if anyone has 1st hand knowledge of this... ?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-24-2014 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,856,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
What if you're an American Indian (Native American) like I am,
and I AM home.

What is your solution NOW ?
Yes, the Indians have sovereign lands -- I never claimed otherwise. It's a little different in tribal lands obviously --- but it's not too common you'd meet Indians who can't speak English.

I was referring to people from other countries who want to cling to their own languages and cultures and cannot adapt to American culture.

I also wouldn't suggest anyone from the USA relocate to another country and never learn anything of it's language or culture.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,856,649 times
Quote:
OK so all Texans and Georgians living on NYC, hop to it back home! Same thing for NYers living in California or FL.

While we are at it, why not send back every one other than the Native Americans! I mean who is to say which culture is "American" and which isn't?

Yes every one must speak English, though maintaining their own languages is fine. There are a certain core ways of doing business, etc., which people need to become familiar with. But I think that most people can manage the basics and still maintain much of their culture.

Do you ask the tens of thousands of Americans living in France only to speak French?
I would suggest that the tens of thousands of Americans living in France learn and speak French and adapt themselves to the culture there --- at least those who are permanently residing there.

Why would you move to France to live but cling to American culture and never learn the language of France? That would make no sense to me. If you were very attached to American culture and the langauge, why would you leave to live somewhere else for the rest of your life?

Tourists of course are different but they aren't permanently going to live in those other countries.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:04 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,698,189 times
Quote:
I read your whole reply, and it sounds good. But...

What about those people that want to force others to marry out of their race, and 'mix'
their genes in order to create a race of people that supposedly will live
in harmony?
Who the hell even proposes that kind of idea? I have never heard or such a thing or even met people like that. Forcing people to marry outside one's race? That doesn't even make sense. You are more likely to meet someone who is uncomfortable with marrying interracially than you are someone who thinks it should be forced.

Moderator cut: against TOS

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-24-2014 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: See message sent

Old 05-24-2014, 12:10 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,698,189 times
Quote:
And this is how most immigrants behave. They know that their kids will get no where unless they learn how to speak English. Thanksgiving is a big holiday in NYC even with our 40% foreign born population.

Not every American genuflects in front of "the troops", and many might prefer if there was less attention on foreign wars and more on taking care of the troops once they return, or of the families, if they die. So why demand that immigrants do this?

What you need to ask is how do Americans behave when they settle overseas. Do they cling to each other in US only colonies, setting up "American" schools? Or do they try to fit in? How many learn the local language?
Are you sure? Is that why California prints off a lot of their documents in several different languages?

Here is what people do not understand...when you choose to emigrate to another country, become a citizen there, and pledge your allegiance to them, you are deliberately making a change to your own culture. You are literally uprooting your own culture to become part of a new one. Expecting an American who continues to pledge allegiance to America yet live overseas to assimilate into a foreign country's culture is not the same thing as expecting an immigrant who is a naturalized US citizen to assimilate. Yes, an American overseas should learn the local language. How else are they supposed to get around? Are we so entitled to believe everyone should speak English outside the US? American schools already exist overseas for military children. If you're not military, learn the language. Plenty of people do that, yet still hold American citizenship.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 AM

63,272 posts, read 29,369,295 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: against guidelines All Americans no matter what state they live in share our identifying culture, language, etc. Most so-called Native Americans who tribes settled within our borders have assimilated into that identifying culture also.

Those whose first language isn't English can speak their native tongue all they want in private. No one is suggesting that one can't maintain their minority culture either just when out in mainstream America assimilate and blend in. Who is suggesting that one can only speak English, period?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-24-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
That's an intriguing thought. Never really thought about that.

I just assumed that when Americans move to other countries , that they try their best to learn the native language, and
try to fit-in as best as possible. ?

No they don't. Unless they move because they are married to some one from there. They usually behave as an enclave community, even in US territories like the USVI.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Moderator cut: against guidelines All Americans no matter what state they live in share our identifying culture, language, etc. Most so-called Native Americans who tribes settled within our borders have assimilated into that identifying culture also.

Those whose first language isn't English can speak their native tongue all they want in private. No one is suggesting that one can't maintain their minority culture either just when out in mainstream America assimilate and blend in. Who is suggesting that one can only speak English, period?

Ask a group of people what is "American" culture and you will get a huge argument. What it usually boils down to is a group forcing down their notion of what being "American" is down the throats of others.

Indeed part of this fallacy is the notion that most immigrants either don't speak fluent English, or aspire to speak it. I mean who do you think really migrates to the USA to be poor, because that is what you will be unless you speak English, and speak it well, and know how to interview for a job. Indeed among Dominicans 60% report speaking English well, and only 15% report not being able to speak English. For Haitians it is 75% speaking it well, and only 5% not at all. This from the 2005-9 ACS.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Are you sure? Is that why California prints off a lot of their documents in several different languages?

Here is what people do not understand...when you choose to emigrate to another country, become a citizen there, and pledge your allegiance to them, you are deliberately making a change to your own culture. You are literally uprooting your own culture to become part of a new one. Expecting an American who continues to pledge allegiance to America yet live overseas to assimilate into a foreign country's culture is not the same thing as expecting an immigrant who is a naturalized US citizen to assimilate. Yes, an American overseas should learn the local language. How else are they supposed to get around? Are we so entitled to believe everyone should speak English outside the US? American schools already exist overseas for military children. If you're not military, learn the language. Plenty of people do that, yet still hold American citizenship.

Go even to the USVI, and one will see "statesiders" living in enclaves separate from the rest of the population, yet DEMANDING that the others adjust to THEM!

So why should Americans live overseas but spit on those countries' cultures and then adopt nativist attitudes to immigrants here.? I am NOT referring to US civil servants. I am referring to people who live PERMANENTLY in these countries.

Most of the signs that are in foreign languages are aimed at POOR people, most RECENT arrivals and are in situations where there will need to be a PERFECT understanding of what is being said.

85% of Dominican immigrants speak English, and 60% report speaking it VERY WELL. Dominicans are heavily skewed to the NY/NJ area where there are many accommodations for non English speakers, and yet they know that in order to progress they will have to speak the language used by the broadest cross section of the population, and that is ENGLISH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates