Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM

297 posts, read 477,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

... But I do think we'd need a substantial change in national direction to deal with the black/white color line, since it's been around since our nation's founding.
Do you think maybe,
that perhaps if certain countries weren't founded/built
using slaves, or taking by force (here and around the world)
that perhaps the races would get along better?

I mean... this kind of crap has been going on since the "beginning"
of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:06 PM

31,270 posts, read 22,268,814 times
"Is it better to Assimilate into the "Melting Pot" just to 'get-along'? "

Wouldn't work. Humans are tribal and competitive regardless of the reasons why.

Wanting all people to mix is just the other extreme of wanting all people to be the same. I like variation and I also like things to stay the same.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not about knowing English but speaking it as their primary language of usage in public. That's not happening anymore.
It never did, universally. Polish immigrants spoke their native language with each other in public, Germans did the same, Russians did and still do the same, and certainly in the Chinatowns and other Asian enclaves, those languages are spoken in public. The same in Latino neighborhoods. In some Chinatowns, the street signs are bilingual. Who cares? I don't understand what the objection is.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 PM

63,270 posts, read 29,369,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It never did, universally. Polish immigrants spoke their native language with each other in public, Germans did the same, Russians did and still do the same, and certainly in the Chinatowns and other Asian enclaves, those languages are spoken in public. The same in Latino neighborhoods. In some Chinatowns, the street signs are bilingual. Who cares? I don't understand what the objection is.
It's like living in a foreign country, that's why. If one doesn't want to assimilate to English out in public then they are being rude and should feel free to move to the country that speaks their native language. If you don't agree then so be it.

it's getting more prominent among Hispanics because of so many of them being here illegally.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:13 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,603,077 times
^^^I see & hear the exact opposite. Most hispanics I come across or work with speak english, if not fluently than at least good enough that I can understand them. I actually like going to the hispanic area in my city because it IS like being in a foreign country. The vibe is totally different than anywhere else in the city. Plus, the food is excellent, especially the little dive places. I don't see that being here illegally has anything to do with whether hispanics speak english or not. If they want to be here by choice they'll assimilate to a degree. I don't believe one should discard one's native culture, norms, etc simply because they moved to a different country. It also takes time to become fluent in a foreign language, even if they're immersed in it totally.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
^^^I see & hear the exact opposite. Most hispanics I come across or work with speak english, if not fluently than at least good enough that I can understand them. I actually like going to the hispanic area in my city because it IS like being in a foreign country. The vibe is totally different than anywhere else in the city. Plus, the food is excellent, especially the little dive places. I don't see that being here illegally has anything to do with whether hispanics speak english or not. If they want to be here by choice they'll assimilate to a degree. I don't believe one should discard one's native culture, norms, etc simply because they moved to a different country. It also takes time to become fluent in a foreign language, even if they're immersed in it totally.
Who said one has to "discard" their native culture and language? There is a time and place for everything. If one knows how to speak English then they should speak it in public. I don't care what they do at home.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:12 PM

Why is it upsetting if two people are having a conversation with each other that doesn't concern you & they're speaking in a foreign language? I hear russian or spanish around me constantly as there is a large population of each in my city. I notice it & move on. It doesn't bother me if someone is speaking to another person in a foreign language, it doesn't involve me so I'm not concerned about it.

Last edited by thefragile; 06-04-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why is it upsetting if two people are having a conversation with each other that doesn't concern you & they're speaking in a foreign language? I hear russian or spanish around me constantly as there is a large population of each in my city. I notice it & move on. It doesn't bother me if someone is speaking to another person in a foreign language, it doesn't involve me so I'm not concerned about it.
Sometimes you can't "move on". You're stuck listening to the babble. As I said, if you know how to speak English then why not do it then when out in public?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:43 AM

Are you saying that if you lived in say Germany or France & you were friends with another American, you wouldn't speak english with each other? Please, of course you would. That's just the way it is. If you're with your peers you'll speak that language. Now if you're talking about being in public doing say business transactions, then sure speak english. Otherwise, have at it, no skin off my back. Sometimes I try to figure out what they're saying as I listen in on their conversation, lol. I can never figure it out but whatever, it fills the time.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,062,750 times
If you look at what is actually happening its segregation by idealogy in this nation. This is a huge nation and their is room for everyone to gather in cultural and social groups as always. This leads to what you see in less and less federal control as states even ignore federal laws themselves. We call it the red and blue states now but even within states its further broke down. In many ways we are going back to past and less and less a melting pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates