Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NO POLLS IN GREAT DEBATES: read guidelines
A 0 0%
B 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I recall when it was settle science that the beginning of the universe was not a big bang at all and those who believed otherwise were belittled.
You must be quite old because George Lamaitre first proposed the idea of the Big Bang theory in 1927, and while I'm in my early 60's and I don't remember that period of time, I wasn't that big into science in 1964 when the tide shifted away fro the Steady State Theory.)

Which is sort of interesting when you think that consensus on the Big Bang Theory (creationist aside) came together in some 40 years, while anthropomorphic climate change was first suggested in the late 19th century when 1890's Samuel Pierpoint and Svante Arrheius, not the UN, first suggested that carbon dioxide levels effected surface temperatures.

Of course here we are 150 years since Darwin's Descent of Man was first published and some still think that evolution is flawed science. Go figure.

History of climate change science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Science agreed the world was flat... until they proved that it wasn't.
Science agreed the sun went around the earth... until they proved it didn't.
Science agreed man couldn't fly... until he could build an airplane, and they he could.

Science will always prove thing, and disprove them. The problem is, in you really want to challenge a scientific finding, you must present a stronger scientific argument for the counter. That's how it works.

You're welcome to not believe in it, but if you can't prove it doesn't exist and the evidence leans towards it does, then the scientific consensus is that it does exist. To counter that consensus, you would need to find evidence that it doesn't exist.

1 person can disagree, but without a lack of sufficient evidence to argue the other way, the consensus will go to the 9136.
These claims are all false.

First, the accepted notions of a flat Earth and geocentrism long preceded the advent of the scientific method, and were all but non-existent among the learned by the time the scientific method was fully developed. Indeed, it was science that provided the unequivocal evidence that the Earth was an oblate spheroid and the working mechanism for a heliocentric solar system.

Second, by the time the scientific method was in fact developed (roughly, the 17th century) there was certainly no widespread notion among scientists that human-powered flight was not possible.

All you are doing is using your own ignorance to impugn science, which says nothing whatsoever about science but quite a bit about about you.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The climate change in question, is it man made, not the natural changes and cycles we have seen forever. I do not agree with those who claim this is easy to measure. If it was we could know what tomorrow's weather is going to be. We need a process and model that can predict weather due to natural processses and one which can show the change associated with man's acitivity separate from volcano eruptions etc.
You are right, climate prediction is not an easy task. But climate models that exist predict trends and not events. In general, climate models are mathematical representations of the interactions between oceans, land, air, etc.

Since a climate model predicts trends, it can tell you that it will be cold in the winter, but cannot tell you the specific temperature per day (that's weather forecasting).

We know that climate models work, since they have been tested with past weather data. So, from a statistical perspective, these climate models work! Therefore, we can expect it to predict with reasonable certainty what might happen in the future.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
We had a far warmer, drier winter than normal here on the west coast. I guess that serves as proof of an oncoming ice age.
Chuckman,

I also live on the west coast -- Southern California, to be precise. I have lived here since the late 1980s. So let's be sure to tell the whole story, okay?

We have had FOUR years of cooler summers and warmer winters. A major contributor to this has been the presence of a thin veil of cloud cover -- something that was practically unheard of in the preceding decades, particularly in the summer.

During the year leading up to this 4-year period, we had an episode of record-breaking cold (measured dawn temperature of 4 degrees Fahrenheit in my backyard) followed by two periods of record-breaking triple-digit heat in April, and several lengthy periods of extreme heat during that summer. This year (2014) is starting to look more like that year than the previous four years.

And by the way, since that record-shattering cold snap, my community has not had even one episode of below-freezing temperature. Short periods where the night-time temperatures dipped below freezing used to be quite common.

So, what we are seeing on the west coast is a lengthy period of extreme and unusual variations in weather patterns. Though the specifics differ, "extreme and unusual variations in weather patterns" are being experienced world-wide.

When it comes to global climate and climate change, we will do far better listening to our scientists than to our politicians.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 05-20-2014, 11:50 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
........When it comes to global climate and climate change, we will do far better listening to our scientists than to our politicians...........
Dunno why. The scientists are mostly funded by the politicians.

The global warming dialogue fits nicely into the evil/polluting/greedy corporation narrative that is so in vogue among liberals and those who know little. Like it or not, The Left controls the media in America and The Left awards the diplomas.

"Fat Cats and Greedy people are the cause of all ills", goes the meme. The fact that emission levels in the U.S. are at 1992 levels makes no difference to these control freaks of The Left. "America is always wrong, and we must punish ourselves".

Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Dunno why. The scientists are mostly funded by the politicians.

The global warming dialogue fits nicely into the evil/polluting/greedy corporation narrative that is so in vogue among liberals and those who know little. Like it or not, The Left controls the media in America and The Left awards the diplomas.

"Fat Cats and Greedy people are the cause of all ills", goes the meme. The fact that emission levels in the U.S. are at 1992 levels makes no difference to these control freaks of The Left.
Oh, for christ sake!

Globally the total amount of money used to support climate research amounts to $359 bn... globally.

$224 bn comes from the private sector, only $135 bn coming from government sources.

CPI

The left wing U.S. government spends a WHOPPING $77 billion on climate change research. Hell we've spent $223 billion on the f-35 joint strike fighter which is no closer to being operational than since it was approved in 2001! That is $1 billion less that all the privates sector research money spent on climate change across the globe!

Quote:
"America is always wrong, and we must punish ourselves"
This is what I find so hypocritically bizarre. Some can cry and tear there hair out over the national debt (most of which was based upon nearly Zero interest securities) which will destroy the future of "our children" but leaving the planet a hell hole of shrunken land masses, draught, famine and the serious possibility of global political instability like nothing that has ever been seen before is... huh, who cares. Amazing.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
he fact that emission levels in the U.S. are at 1992 levels makes no difference to these control freaks of The Left.
When the washtub is at maximum capacity it doesn't matter how slowly the water enters -- its still going to spill over.

Northeast Mississippi, eh? I know the area quite well. I have relatives there. Did you realize that a large number of the counties in Northeast Mississippi have Choctaw/Chickasaw names? (Difficult to tell which is which because the languages are very similar.)

-- Nighteyes (Mississippi Choctaw)

Last edited by Nighteyes; 05-21-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 12:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
The climate of the Earth has been changing since the Earth was created. Only an idiot could deny this, the issue is when governments are trying to impose taxes and hurt businesses by saying this climate change is caused by humans. There is not enough evidence to support that humans are causing any sort of shift in the Earth's climate.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM

513 posts, read 799,497 times
Just yesterday I was driving when a huge hail storm started. Everyone pulled over and ice the size of golf balls was falling from the sky. You couldn't see two feet in front of you. Afterwards there was ice on the ground, in June! I don't understand denying global climate change because it is clearly here. The "scientists" denying it are getting paid by oil companies and others who explicit interest is to propagate an agenda suitable for their employer. You can't trust someone who is getting paid to say what someone wants to hear.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:53 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Just yesterday I was driving when a huge hail storm started. Everyone pulled over and ice the size of golf balls was falling from the sky. You couldn't see two feet in front of you. Afterwards there was ice on the ground, in June! I don't understand denying global climate change because it is clearly here. The "scientists" denying it are getting paid by oil companies and others who explicit interest is to propagate an agenda suitable for their employer. You can't trust someone who is getting paid to say what someone wants to hear.
First off, it's still May for another week.

Second, this is completely unrelated to everything in this thread. Hail forms when strong wind gusts carry water to the upper atmosphere. Hail like that has been happening for centuries.

I'm not denying climate change, but a bad thunderstorm doesn't prove or disprove it either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates