Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 AM

684 posts, read 873,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
why do we look at color at all? and honestly what percent of that line of work is black? prob 1 or 2%

We look at a person's color, because racism has taken place in hiring decisions.

As regards your comment on 1% or 2% on "that line of work", I know that there are other tech companies that have higher percentages of African Americans, and they do take a person's minority status into account when they make hiring decisions.

Google has long claimed to support diversity. Apparently, Jesse Jackson has called them on it.

I would not have started this thread except for the fact that Google has claimed they support diversity. And when they released their numbers, you had to question whether racism exists there. I certainly believe hypocrisy does.

This is not to say that I support diversity. I don't. I support unity and merit-based hiring. But I also do not support hypocrisy or racism.

As far as my mind goes, Google should have said they support merit-based hiring, not diversity. However, after examining their senior executive hires, I don't think that is true either,.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:47 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,060,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's not going to change until more minorities get into business startups.
This is probably a better route to go although certainly not easier.

I hear there are a lot of issues with software patents and copyright laws that the big boys may use to cut small business entrepreneurs down to size.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,873,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
We look at a person's color, because racism has taken place in hiring decisions.

As regards your comment on 1% or 2% on "that line of work", I know that there are other tech companies that have higher percentages of African Americans, and they do take a person's minority status into account when they make hiring decisions.

Google has long claimed to support diversity. Apparently, Jesse Jackson has called them on it.

I would not have started this thread except for the fact that Google has claimed they support diversity. And when they released their numbers, you had to question whether racism exists there. I certainly believe hypocrisy does.

This is not to say that I support diversity. I don't. I support unity and merit-based hiring. But I also do not support hypocrisy or racism.

As far as my mind goes, Google should have said they support merit-based hiring, not diversity. However, after examining their senior executive hires, I don't think that is true either,.
And I asked before and still have gotten no answer;

- what is Google's impact ratio analysis in hiring?
- have you viewed their applicant flow log?
- have you viewed their availability analysis and recruiting area?
- what is the availability of blacks in the recruiting area for the specific positions that you claim are underutilized?

If you do not know any of the above answers, then you have no idea if Google is practicing discrimination or not. As a posted a few posts ago, whites and males are actually under represented in the company more than anyone else.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:15 PM

684 posts, read 873,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
And I asked before and still have gotten no answer;

- what is Google's impact ratio analysis in hiring?
- have you viewed their applicant flow log?
- have you viewed their availability analysis and recruiting area?
- what is the availability of blacks in the recruiting area for the specific positions that you claim are underutilized?

If you do not know any of the above answers, then you have no idea if Google is practicing discrimination or not. As a posted a few posts ago, whites and males are actually under represented in the company more than anyone else.

I have not said that Google is racist. I have said that I believe it is hypocritical, because it has long claimed to support diversity. But after keeping their numbers forever hidden, it now claims after releasing the numbers -- shortly after Jesse Jackson paid them a visit -- that they are far from where they want to be.

Moreover, I have also said that based on their senior executive hires, I do think that Google could well be bigoted in favor of Jewish hires, or perhaps they simply prefer them.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 PM

32,003 posts, read 27,183,135 times
I'll say it again, why is it when it comes to blacks there always must be some magic number that signifies "diversity"?

Google has gays, lesbians, females, Asians, Indians, and other minority groups in enough numbers that they certainly are a diverse company by any standard. Having a set number *reserved* for blacks is getting old and people are tired of such quotas.

Unless someone can prove Google actually and actively discriminates against African-Americans it is time to move on.

Blacks/African-Americans pull this stunt all the time; just because they make up "X" portion of a population there should be a corresponding number employed in this or that career or job. Well I'm sorry but things do not always work out that way for a variety of reasons.

Men make up half to above the population on average in most parts of the United States, but yet nursing is a profession dominated by females. Odd how you don't hear about large media protests, federal government intervention and whatever to address that imbalance.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:57 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,615,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Google's Official Blog Announced:

"We’ve always been reluctant to publish numbers about the diversity of our workforce at Google. We now realize we were wrong, and that it’s time to be candid about the issues. Put simply, Google is not where we want to be when it comes to diversity, and it’s hard to address these kinds of challenges if you’re not prepared to discuss them openly, and with the facts. So, here are our numbers:"

Google Diversity Numbers - Business Insider

Color me stunned at the incredibly small 2% black employment figure from a corporation that has always supported liberals and liberal politics. At a minimum, if Google is not racist (and/or sexist), something very hypocritical is afoot here, because they have always alleged that they support diversity.
Yes. Google is racist.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:42 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,165,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbf2324 View Post
That is because Blacks have a deeply rooted history of systematic oppression in this country,
I’m sure some will get a little wild when I say this, but it’s no longer whites in the majority oppressing blacks, but other blacks. The only person is the black community that seems to recognize this is Dr. Cosby, but he’s a sellout in the black community.

It's time for them to get over it and stop playing victim.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,566,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I don't know what's been said about this in previous posts, but there were just too many to go back and read, so I'll add my two cents even if I repeat someone else's opinion.

I'm really tired of hearing about "diversity."

People act as though every company should have the same percentage of blacks as the percentage of the general population - or they're not diverse enough. Who cares? Blacks only represent 12% of the population, and they tend to have concentrations in certain areas like most other ethnic groups. If Google's workplaces aren't in one of these concentrations, finding enough qualified black folks to represent 12% of your company might be pretty damn hard.

I'm also tired of the assumption that if a company doesn't have that magic number of minorities, somehow it's being racist. As the poster above said, this simply isn't a white person's problem. It's not up to whites to give blacks special privileges and dispensations just so they don't have to compete as hard or so they don't have to be quite as qualified as a white applicant.

Oh, and how come no one ever worries if there are enough Asians or Arabs or Mongols or Native Americans working for these places? It seems like the issue is always whether there are enough blacks or that blacks need some kind of handicap in order for them to get hired.

And no, I'm not a racist. I'm not even white. But I can see nonsense when I see it.

Being non white is irrelevant. so I don't know why you make mention of it.

A company doesn't have to hire a magic number. However any company with some smarts knows that the broader its talent pool, and the larger its base of potential consumers is, the better off it will be.

So if there is some reason why blacks and Hispanics are underrepresented, apart from their choice not to work at Google, or pursues STEM careers, then it will be in Google's interest to find out.

Indeed in that not too distant future blacks and Hispanics will account for 40% of this country's population. It can ill afford to have such a large group under performing.

I have a question to ask though. Blacks AND Hispanics are under represented, yet your post focuses only on blacks. WHY?

Old 05-31-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I’m sure some will get a little wild when I say this, but it’s no longer whites in the majority oppressing blacks, but other blacks. The only person is the black community that seems to recognize this is Dr. Cosby, but he’s a sellout in the black community.

It's time for them to get over it and stop playing victim.

No one will get "wild". We will just correct you.

Bill Cosby wasn't referring to blacks as a whole. He referred to those who are trapped by ghetto pathologies, which only impact about 30% of the population.

Now those who don't get their information about blacks from the media, but who actually know the diversity of the black community, know this.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I'll say it again, why is it when it comes to blacks there always must be some magic number that signifies "diversity"?

Blacks are 3%, Hispanics are 4% of Google's employee base in California where they are 40% . Yet you only mention blacks. Can you tell me why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates