Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 AM

662 posts, read 1,053,879 times

Advertisements

I also think people need to look at the facts that whites are underrepresented at Google too.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 AM

56 posts, read 63,341 times
Haha, I didn't realize that they broke down their percentages to tech vs non tech jobs and leadership. Which I think is really interesting. Just in case anyone else didn't realize that.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,791,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbf2324 View Post
Haha, I didn't realize that they broke down their percentages to tech vs non tech jobs and leadership. Which I think is really interesting. Just in case anyone else didn't realize that.
I didn't catch that at first either(wonder if they added it afterwards?)

I was trying to figure out why they changed the order of the races on the Leadership tab compared to the other ones until I realized they were sorted from lowest to highest. Which makes it interesting that despite being the smallest demographic overall, in tech, and in non-tech, blacks out number hispanics and mixed races in leadership.

Not exactly what I expected, but definitely interesting.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:13 AM

684 posts, read 876,555 times
The more I consider what is and has been going on, the more I recognize that Google and other high-tech companies in Silicon Valley are and have been knowingly racist. Even worse, the incredible anomaly is that the Google elite and the elite from many (if not the vast majority)t of the other tech companies in Silicon Valley poise themselves as extremely being liberal and donate heavily to the Democratic party.

Moreover, Google's diversity numbers are no surprise to them, they and other Silicon Valley companies know and knew exactly where their companies stand and stood on a diversity basis. They simply decided to hide the issue by avoiding to report the numbers at all costs. They don't make any true effort to support diversity. It's all talk and window-dressing pablum, nothing else.

If there is one thing that really disgusts me, it's hypocrisy and hypocrites, and that is exactly what this amounts to. But this is hypocrisy at a level that's mind-boggling.

The Google elite preach one thing, but do something entirely different and have done so since it was founded. A pox on Google and its "don't be evil" slogan.

Google doesn't care about blacks. It hasn't made any special efforts to train them or locate facilities near populations that have a high-black representation. Everything the Google elite have said about diversity and their support for the the liberals' diversity drive is and has been simply pure and duplicitous dribble.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Posted by Wudge

Google doesn't care about blacks. It hasn't made any special efforts to train them or locate facilities near populations that have a high-black representation. Everything the Google elite have said about diversity and their support for the the liberals' diversity drive is and has been simply pure and
duplicitous dribble.
Firstly, This is not just about Blacks, this is about Blacks, Hispanics, and Women. Second, Google is a business and just like any other business. It's number one priority is to make money. Everything else takes a back seat.

Also most people know the old saying: You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him/her drink it. Only 5% of the total work force is STEM jobs. That is an insanely small amount people. This problem is much more broad than a particular race. Americans generally (excluding Asians) are not interested in working towards a STEM related degree. Especially, anything tech related b/c it requires years of studying for math and science. Engineering degrees require the most study time than any other degree. There are many organizations trying to expose young children (specifically from under represented minorities) to the STEM fields. It is going to take time and a lot effort from all sides. Including parents. Parents have a huge role in exposing their children to sciences/math/etc. Even if they do not work in those field themselves

Yes, I agree. They are hypocritical to preach about diversity when they don't exemplify it themselves. But this is by no means even 50% their fault. To be honest, I am very glad they put their big boy/big girl pants on and came out with the numbers. Its a step forward.

Last edited by kbf2324; 05-29-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 10:35 AM

303 posts, read 597,339 times
Hmm. I don't think Google is being racist but it does highlight the lack of emphasis in STEM fields in public schools, especially schools that are primarily comprised of minorities.

It would be crazy to assume that Google would hire you just because of the color of your skin. Though, if they really wanted to help bolster their diversity numbers, they could do more to bring interest to those fields into the black/hispanic communities? Send their Google Engineers in for career days, help fund programs designed to generate enthusiasm for math and the sciences!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Posted by TheMillersWife

they could do more to bring interest to those fields into the black/hispanic communities? Send their Google Engineers in for career days, help fund programs designed to generate enthusiasm for math and the sciences!
Yes, I agree. I think Google does have a program to expose children to computers and math. But I do think they can do more. It is not necessarily their responsibility but it will only benefit them and the U.S. in the long run.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,432,485 times
No. Google is not "racist."

There simply aren't a lot of black engineers.

I would know... I am one (by degree).

Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,928,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Google doesn't care about blacks. It hasn't made any special efforts to train them or locate facilities near populations that have a high-black representation. Everything the Google elite have said about diversity and their support for the the liberals' diversity drive is and has been simply pure and duplicitous dribble.
Facilities are located where the business deems it has the best competitive advantage; locating it in a primary black area where not one single black person has the skills to work there, and the area being very far from the talent pool, is just not good for the business. Simply locating a business somewhere does not create a talent pool, blacks (and all races) are more than welcome to gain the skills Google requires and apply for a position there.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 AM

684 posts, read 876,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Facilities are located where the business deems it has the best competitive advantage; locating it in a primary black area where not one single black person has the skills to work there, and the area being very far from the talent pool, is just not good for the business. Simply locating a business somewhere does not create a talent pool, blacks (and all races) are more than welcome to gain the skills Google requires and apply for a position there.

When it was the tech leader, IBM located several of their facilities in and around New York City, including at least one in Harlem. Moreover, it hired a lot of blacks and other minorities in the fields of finance, accounting, human resource, purchasing, security, etc.. Further, it had a formal company-wide program that fully supported educating minorities in fields that they both could benefit from.

Google has done nothing, absolutely nothing. Yet they go around making contributions and pretending and crowing about their support for the Democratic platform.

My Mother did not raise me to be stupid, and I know hypocrisy and duplicity when I see it. Google says one thing and does entirely another. Nothing could be clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates