Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 PM

810 posts, read 1,453,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Google's Official Blog Announced:

Color me stunned at the incredibly small 2% black employment figure from a corporation that has always supported liberals and liberal politics. At a minimum, if Google is not racist (and/or sexist), something very hypocritical is afoot here, because they have always alleged that they support diversity.
I think that if you are going to work at Google, you have to be smart. And that's all.
It's probably a bad idea for you to go around associating the result of that criterion with race.

You can be sure that the politically correct weenies at Google are falling all over themselves trying to get the correct Leftie-approved racial mix in there.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM

662 posts, read 1,052,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I think that if you are going to work at Google, you have to be smart. And that's all.
It's probably a bad idea for you to go around associating the result of that criterion with race.

You can be sure that the politically correct weenies at Google are falling all over themselves trying to get the correct Leftie-approved racial mix in there.
But what about employers biases towards or against people of a certain race? DeMarcus won't necessarily get called back faster than John Washington. There have been several studies where companies show implicit or explicit bias to candidates, regardless of skill. It's not what you know, but who you know.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,905,023 times
Quote:
When it was the tech leader, IBM located several of their facilities in and around New York City, including at least one in Harlem. Moreover, it hired a lot of blacks and other minorities in the fields of finance, accounting, human resource, purchasing, security, etc.. Further, it had a formal company-wide program that fully supported educating minorities in fields that they both could benefit from.

Google has done nothing, absolutely nothing. Yet they go around making contributions and pretending and crowing about their support for the Democratic platform.

My Mother did not raise me to be stupid, and I know hypocrisy and duplicity when I see it. Google says one thing and does entirely another. Nothing could be clearer.
Last I saw, Google was the world's most valuable company, not IBM. Perhaps IBM should have concentrated on hiring the most qualified instead of hiring based on race.

Also, what is preventing any black person, or an race, from obtaining those qualifications themselves? Are you saying black people are so dumb that they need their hand held to obtain these things, while other races do not? That is an insult in itself stating that blacks need to be cuddled like a five year old, while other races can go out on their own and do it themselves.

Also, you have no idea why IBM located facilities where they did; IBM was a much larger company and involved in more things than Google is, so you are basically comparing apples and oranges. There are many factors that go into facility location (tax incentives, land prices, etc), especially when the hiring area is rather large, like nationwide.

You and no one has answered one single question from my first post:

- Have you ran an impact ratio analysis and applicant flow log for Google's hiring?
- Have you reviewed the availability demographics for their positions?
- Have you reviewed their recruitment area?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM

684 posts, read 874,946 times
I've posted online going on twenty-three years now (since the time of Mosaic), and I have avoided revealing too much about my personals. However, I've said elsewhere that I'm an old codger in my ninth decade. Moreover, I have two undergraduate degrees (one in engineering) and several graduate degrees -- one in information technology, which at the time equated to probably less than what most seventh graders know about technology today -- all of which were earned on full or nearly full scholarships at prestigious universities. Further, I've had multiple careers and am equally comfortable in a boardroom, a courtroom or a classroom or talking to a packed theater or auditorium.

Finally, I've mentored and helped many, many, many people in a large variety of ways during my lifetime, and I didn't care if they were male of female or were black or white or were Christian or Jewish or atheist or whatever. My focus has always been to be helpful to others (not just my family) when I thought I could do so. My nutshell philosophy in life has always been to: "do good" (versus do well).

As regards whether or not I can throw the first stone, I most certainly can and have on more than one occasion in my lifetime.

Moreover, it's a logical fallacy to hold that if a person has not done a specific thing, they can not then judge or advise others on that matter or similar matters. For example, a person need not be a user of hard drugs to validly warn others not to use them. Nor does a person need to speed around the local dead man's curve to advise or warn others not to do so. Perhaps still clearer to you would be the recognition that our system of jurisprudence does not require that we place twelve murderers in a jury box to assess whether or not a defendant who was charged with murder committed that crime.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-29-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Deleted quote

Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,390,094 times
It's not racist in the least. If anything, they would bend over backwards to give a job to a qualified black software engineer or social marketing expert.

The problem is blacks are sorely under-represented in the STEM fields in this country. About 2 years ago I graduated with my Master's in engineering and probably 1% of all the graduates in all the STEM fields combined were black. Historically, and is still the case today, whites and asians make up the vast majority of STEM grads, and of those, around 70% of them are male. Some fields are north of 80%.

So the problem isn't that Google is racist. The problem is blacks aren't going into the STEM fields at the same rates that whites and asians are. This is due to many factors. Peer pressure to adhere to a hackneyed "black culture," always conscious of one's minority status (I went to a majority black high school and trust me even though no one was racist around me, it was always somewhere in the corner of your mind and that has subconscious effects), lack of opportunities, lack of financial means, etc.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:42 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,457,940 times
The percentage of white employees at Google is lower than the national percentage of white Americans.

So is Google a racist company? Asians are clearly overrepresented compared to their population numbers in the United States. Perhaps Google should scale down on the number of Asian employees?

I'm fully confident Google will become much more proactive in reaching out to more minorities (which really means more blacks). Google is a very young company, it's not even twenty years old. The IPO was in 2004. It's focus has been expansion and growth since then. Now that it's maturing and has a more established corporate infrastructure and resources, it's in a position to instill corporate-wide affirmative action policies and programs. Which it will.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,835,654 times
I think majority of firms say they support diversity but don't practice it. Forget what % are minorities you have to look at what % of management and along that chain are minorities.

Too many American companies get away with hiring minorities for dead end jobs and no path to management or other senior positions.

I moved up to manager at a job and I was the next in line to move even higher when the company decide to go outside and bring somebody in that was completely new to the business and incompetent as well. The difference was the color of our skin and that was their deciding factor nothing else.

So what Google does is nothing new, same old American corporate color barrier.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,122,247 times
Quote:
When it was the tech leader, IBM located several of their facilities in and around New York City, including at least one in Harlem. Moreover, it hired a lot of blacks and other minorities in the fields of finance, accounting, human resource, purchasing, security, etc.. Further, it had a formal company-wide program that fully supported educating minorities in fields that they both could benefit from.
IBM was heavily a hardware/chip company, not a software company. It had huge quantities of employees for various manufacturing plants. There was far more potential for things like that.

Google is not. They do not make physical objects, and when they do it's contracted out to another company, not made in house. They need very few people for roles like that, the vast majority of the employees are highly technical and highly skilled.

Additionally, I consider the suggestion that company should have to locate their facilities somewhere specific to be able to hire minorities (as there are few in Silicon Valley) ludicrous.

Beyond that, I don't think the people currently complaining would be any happier if they hired all-black janitors and cafeteria staff.

As someone who majored in computer science at a state SUNY school, where there were plenty of minorities overall, the graduating CS class was about 5-10% female and <5% black, and electrical engineering/computer engineering was similarly bad. The people don't exist to hire.

If you want it to improve, then push heavier support of CS/Engineering at the lower school levels for poorer/more minority districts. Starting percentages in the major, while not high, were higher. But a secondary problem is that CS/Engineering are majors that don't "start" in College. It's extremely hard to succeed if you didn't start preparing for them as a kid, because everyone else did.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM

56 posts, read 63,228 times
Quote:

Moreover, it's a logical fallacy to hold that if a person has not done a specific thing, they can not then judge or advise others on that matter or similar matters. For example, a person need not be a user of hard drugs to validly warn others not to use them. Nor does a person need to speed around the local dead man's curve to advise or warn others not to do so. Perhaps still clearer to you would be the recognition that our system of jurisprudence does not require that we place twelve murderers in a jury box to assess whether or not a defendant who was charged with murder committed that crime
Yes, I quickly regretted posting it. I apologize, it was rude and unfounded.

Last edited by kbf2324; 05-29-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM

6,071 posts, read 6,070,215 times
Google Says It Supports Diversity, Yet Just 2% Of Its Employees Are Black. Is It A Racist Company?

Perhaps, though some of it may have to do with certain groups interest in STEM fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates