Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 12:59 PM

684 posts, read 871,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Tell you what.

Go to an area math competition, science fair, robotics competition.....then go to a soccer, basketball and football camp.

Report back to me on the ethnic breakdowns of the participants that are putting in extra effort to be good at the sport or math etc.

Meanwhile, the racist NBA has about 75% of their players black?

We see study after study on the impact of historical racism, on the poorer test scores for blacks, the bad schools in the inner city, the lack of blacks in STEM and so forth......and then when a major tech company has few black employees you blame THEM for not being diverse?

WTH....you don't even know that diversity means you hire the best available REGARDLESS of race etc. Instead you are complaining because they aren't essentially meeting a quota by not using the % of blacks that were high acheiving and in STEM fields etc. but from the general population without regard.

Until this week, Google had always hidden the numbers that would enable people to assess whether or not their actions matched their rhetoric; i.e., Google's alleged support of diversity.

It's pretty clear to me that Google is not proud of their numbers, as evidenced by its Senior VP of People, Laszlo Block, statement that "Google is miles from where we want to be."

Based on Mr. Block's statement, it could be that Google might well not ever have understood what diversity meant. Or perhaps Google just did not care (hypocrisy), which some people might think would be a good reason to keep your numbers to yourself.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-30-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Ok, let me condense that mess for you:

If blacks make up 15% of the US population but social, economic and cultural forces lead only 2% to entertain a degree in a tech field ,it's stupid to expect a company like google to be closer to 15% than to the 2% number.
From what I have read, African Americans represent 2% overall but just 1% in their software development/engineering functions.

Some business people would think that Google should have at least placed a major focus on hiring blacks with degrees in fields where they have a more robust presence as Google was staffing other parts of the company, such as administrative and other corporate overhead areas, think: accounting, financial planning, purchasing, human resources, marketing, security et al. That has been anything but a novel concept and approach in other corporations.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:25 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
Diversity is simply the most popular HR buzzword for "How to justify hiring other than the most qualified candidate".
I work with people that are from every race/ethnicity you could imagine and really enjoy it - but using diversity as a reason to hire just doesn't work too well.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Diversity is simply the most popular HR buzzword for "How to justify hiring other than the most qualified candidate".
I work with people that are from every race/ethnicity you could imagine and really enjoy it - but using diversity as a reason to hire just doesn't work too well.

You said: "Diversity is simply the most popular HR buzzword for "How to justify hiring other than the most qualified candidate".

I don't disagree with you at all except to note that "diversity" has been a buzzword for decades now; it's anything but a new buzzword in the HR world. Moreover, it was often used in the past to drive affirmative action hires within companies.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,689,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Maybe they don't get enough high quality black applicants, which wouldn't be a shock given the culture/situation that black babies are typically born into. I very much doubt a company that size would have racism ingrained in its recruiting staff.
Racism can be unconscious. The rabid right-wing troll can demonstrate racism (as seen on this forum and others) that is overt or coded, but even the most progressive person can also have racist thoughts and feelings - known or unknown that influence their decisions as well.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:39 PM

966 posts, read 1,351,472 times
Maybe the reason there are not more blacks working for them is that google could not find any that were qualified.
The color of someones skin should not qualify or disqualify them for a job.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:41 PM

The above is a list of Google Employee Resource Groups. I suppose if one is white and male, you cannot have your own group?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalwart1 View Post
Is the NBA a racist company, since about what, 90% of players are black?

Racial makeup has very little to do with racial attitudes.
Ninety percent of NBA players are black because they are the best basketball players in the world. White owners - even rabid racist Donald Sterling, formerly the owner of the LA Clippers - know that hiring the best players will make them the most money. In this society, sports - at least on the field or court - are the only true meritocracy, because there are so few people on Earth who are elite athletes that we all know who the best are, and they are the ones who survive to the top level of their craft.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Ok, let me condense that mess for you:

If blacks make up 15% of the US population but social, economic and cultural forces lead only 2% to entertain a degree in a tech field ,it's stupid to expect a company like google to be closer to 15% than to the 2% number.
Agreed. But we should all strive to improve that 2% - especially black people.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
You said: "Diversity is simply the most popular HR buzzword for "How to justify hiring other than the most qualified candidate".

I don't disagree with you at all except to note that "diversity" has been a buzzword for decades now; it's anything but a new buzzword in the HR world. Moreover, it was often used in the past to drive affirmative action hires within companies.
I didn't say "diversity" was a new term - just popular. It became the go-to term when "affirmative action" became an unfavorable term.

If you were hired because you were a particular color/race/ethnicity and everyone you worked with knew that was why you were hired, how would you you feel? What if you were the best candidate, and everyone assumed you were hired because the company was promoting "affirmative action" or "diversity" as the reason they were hiring certain people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates