Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

Dogs have the unique ability to pull the same strings in our hearts and minds as babies do. From a Darwinian perspective, we are wired to nurture the young, innocent, and helpless because it further propagates our own species. Falling in love with puppies is the dogs' way of playing our own hand against us.

Unfortunately, we are also a brutal species capable of the most inhumane things to ourselves and to animals. It is because of our own brutality that I have a special place in my heart for dogs. Where we humans can stand up and fight, choose sides, and choose right and wrong, a dog has no conception or capability to do so. It has trusted you completely to take care of it, to feed it, to nurture it as a baby would.

In my opinion, the level of ethical and moral maturity of a society can easily be discerned by how it treats all innocent beings - humans and animals alike. If one can only look at a dog and see an "animal" and not a being with its own emotions, fears, and loves, then I fear that person would have a difficult time doing so with humans.

I can say this... I'll take a dog about to be euthanized for biting someone over a pedophile priest any day of the week.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:57 PM

48 posts, read 139,634 times
I think America's perverse obsession with pets is because we're a society that is very immature with our feelings and need to feel constantly validated that we're special. Pets can do this for us because they are totally subservient to us --- they depend on us for food and shelter and we're dumb enough to think they "love" us. A total stranger can drive up and offer your dog a juicy steak and your dog will climb into a strange car and happily leave you for that tasty meat. So that is love of a loyal pet, huh?

Truth be told --- the American people are not a very loving bunch of folks. Everywhere you look, there is one group hating on another group. Whites hate on blacks and Latinos, Christians hate on gays and lesbians, Republicans hate on Democrats and poor people, rich folks hate on the 99% who made them rich, and on and on and on it goes.

We only love those things that love us back unconditionally and depend on us for survival, so in that way we can feel superior and always in control of them. The psychological term is "transference" --- which means we humans place unrealistic expectations on animals to act like surrogate humans for our emotional needs and wants. When an old lady lives alone and raises 10 cats and treats them like kids --- it's probably because she never had kids or her own kids abandoned her and so she needs something to replace that emotional void. Many men will treat their dogs like a wife or best friend because their inability to maintain a human relationship results in them seeking something that will tolerate their anti-social behavior. Most women won't tolerate a fat guy who spends all his time sitting on the couch and drinking beer and watching football -- but old Rusty will sit there and pretend to be the best buddy simply because he knows he's getting fed by the obese loser on the couch. Many men think this is "love".

Unfortunately, I don't see any remedy in the near future for America's obsession with pet culture. I just drove past an animal hospital that looked like it cost around $2 million to build. Probably has a veterinarian in there who studied in school for 10 years just so she can operate on a turtle's broken claw. All those human resources for animals that would be in the woods eating grubs and killing each other if not for humans treating them like pampered Gods.

American society has a LONG way to go to be considered sophisticated or worthwhile to continue existing.

Last edited by Antsy994; 06-01-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I'm an animal lover but cats are my favorite. Their love is a pure love, they have no hidden agendas and they give us as much pleasure as we give them. I have never had an animal disappoint me or try to get one over on me, which I can't say for people.

Don't get me wrong, I like people, and love my two Sons to death, but my cats also have a very special place in my heart. Whenever one of them has gotten old and passed away I mourned just as if they were a family member and shed a lot of tears over their passing.

You either are or aren't a pet lover, and if you aren't it is impossible to ever explain the bond we who do love them have with one another. There isn't a moment of the day when they don't make me smile or laugh out loud at something they did, and they ask so little of us for all the pleasure they give.

So, yes, in lots of respects I do like animals better than people and am not ashamed to say that.

Don

Old 06-01-2014, 10:22 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Many claim they'd rather save a human stranger over pet on the grounds that human life should be valued higher, or another person's child vs. their own spouse or adult friend on the grounds that a child has longer life to live, but in the end, actions speak louder than words. There's more to these prioritizations than just age and species.

While saving the latter in each case above wouldn't exactly be the "right thing" to do, I would understand the decision. I mean goodness forbid if I had to say... choose between a friend's baby vs. my own nephew or niece!

As far as how we spoil our loved ones, that's always been a basic premise that we get to spend our money on the way we like. You can argue how spending an average of $750, $1100, or $1500 per year on a cat, medium dog (~50lbs) dog, and large dog (~90 to 110 lbs) respectively is wasteful, but then someone else can easily argue how a luxury car as a gift for a spoiled teen, or thousands of dollars of electronics is just as wasteful, no matter the divide between 1st class and 2nd class citizens.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:14 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Because animals are completely dependent on you for survival, so you can feel a deep sense of obligation to make sure that pet has a loving and happy life. You also understand that people can "take care of themselves" so you might not be as caring towards them because you know that people can care for themselves, they don't need you to survive.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:36 AM

412 posts, read 684,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsy994 View Post
I think America's perverse obsession with pets is because we're a society that is very immature with our feelings and need to feel constantly validated that we're special. Pets can do this for us because they are totally subservient to us --- they depend on us for food and shelter and we're dumb enough to think they "love" us. A total stranger can drive up and offer your dog a juicy steak and your dog will climb into a strange car and happily leave you for that tasty meat. So that is love of a loyal pet, huh?

Truth be told --- the American people are not a very loving bunch of folks. Everywhere you look, there is one group hating on another group. Whites hate on blacks and Latinos, Christians hate on gays and lesbians, Republicans hate on Democrats and poor people, rich folks hate on the 99% who made them rich, and on and on and on it goes.

We only love those things that love us back unconditionally and depend on us for survival, so in that way we can feel superior and always in control of them. The psychological term is "transference" --- which means we humans place unrealistic expectations on animals to act like surrogate humans for our emotional needs and wants. When an old lady lives alone and raises 10 cats and treats them like kids --- it's probably because she never had kids or her own kids abandoned her and so she needs something to replace that emotional void. Many men will treat their dogs like a wife or best friend because their inability to maintain a human relationship results in them seeking something that will tolerate their anti-social behavior. Most women won't tolerate a fat guy who spends all his time sitting on the couch and drinking beer and watching football -- but old Rusty will sit there and pretend to be the best buddy simply because he knows he's getting fed by the obese loser on the couch. Many men think this is "love".

Unfortunately, I don't see any remedy in the near future for America's obsession with pet culture. I just drove past an animal hospital that looked like it cost around $2 million to build. Probably has a veterinarian in there who studied in school for 10 years just so she can operate on a turtle's broken claw. All those human resources for animals that would be in the woods eating grubs and killing each other if not for humans treating them like pampered Gods.

American society has a LONG way to go to be considered sophisticated or worthwhile to continue existing.

Well after that post I hope that you donate your time and money very generously to all human charities. If not then it would certainly be hypocritical.
All of these horrible people who seem to hate people:

"If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals.”
– Albert Einstein

"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
"
– Albert Schweitzer

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

“I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

I am one of those with that "perverse obsession". But the more people I meet the more I love animals, pretty much any animal.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:55 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What makes humans superior to animals? We all evolved together on this little planet. We are all stuck here together, so how about we quit acting like we are the only life form that matters? We are all animals, and are not above or better then them. We are different, but not better.
Oh, I SO agree with this!

But some religions, Christianity included, teach that humans are superior to other life forms.

Those religious beliefs probably developed because humans are omnivorous mammals. We'll eat just about any other form of life to keep ourselves alive. Religions exist to explain morality, to teach us what is ok and what isn't. So people will justify killing and eating other life forms by citing whatever religion they believe. Even cannibalistic societies, which probably developed due to lack of availability of other forms of protein in their environment, use religion to justify eating other humans.

Humans with wealth and options can choose to be vegetarians and to reject moral systems that don't make sense now.

Humans who are poor and have few options will eat anything in order to maintain their own life, and will choose a moral system that justifies what they do.

Use the above to understand why wealthy people are more likely to treat other animals like humans while poorer people are less likely to treat other animals like humans.

Humans are just animals trying to stay alive, after all.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
I don't think people value their own dogs over there own family, but I might value my own dog over you.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:28 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Would I save a dog's life over a human beings life - NO. Who would I rather spend time with, who brings me more joy in life - DOGS, hands down. Animals, both domestic and wildlife are what make's life worth living for me. People I take in measurable doses, some more than others. When I die, my money doesn't go to family, it goes to animal rescue and wildlife preservation. No apologies.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:51 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
because animals seem helpless and we feel the need to take care of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates