Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Imo, Pets cost more than kids sometimes. For example if your pets need their coat groomed or cut each visit is about $30-70 depending on size and type of service. While my kids usually get a cheap $8 cut per month.

As for food, my kids can eat human food which can be cheaper if you buy something like one whole chicken and feed like 2-3 kids for $5 while some dogs eat like these new frozen meals that cost $5-7 and bigger dogs each a lot more than kids.

So in theory, Pets can cost as much as kids in the short run if you choose to spoil them.

I've seen owners that spoil pets where:

- Dog only drinks a certain brand of spring water for 4-5 bottles a day.
- Some picky dogs/cats only eat certain pet food usually soft type that are pricey

Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,283 times
I have two cats, and they are my children...whether anyone likes it or not. I'm going to lose one of them soon, and I am absolutely heartsick. Cats give us unconditional love. After all, a cat can be so many things to humans: a friend, a child, a companion, a support system, a nurse, a silent therapist. A cat can even provide a purpose in life for the elderly, the infirmed, or the mentally or physically disabled person, and could well be their sole reason for living. Is it any wonder we feel such heartache, misery, and pain when they pass from our lives?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
I do not allow dogs in my house.

If guests say............" my dogs are JUST LIKE kids and you allow kids? "

I reply, not the kids who lick their private parts while on my sofa !

Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
My 2 cents - which is about $5 these days: I put the animals over and above the humans.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
I'm not sure why someone would be so concerned about how others view their pets. I love my cat & you can be sure I'd put my cats safety over the safety of a stranger, especially a murderer (I don't even understand that view in the OP, very very odd). I find many people to be rude, disrespectful, & just all around annoying. I much prefer my cat over some of those people. But in the end, really, what concern is it of yours if a person truly loves their pet & wants to provide the best life for their pet? I don't trust people who have such ambivalence towards animals, there's something off going on there.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
I think it's because dogs are loyal and will love you no matter what. They don't judge you and will always be around. There's also something so innocent about dogs that you want to protect them forever.

And if I had the choice between saving some stranger in the street and my Boston Terrier, I would choose my baby without thinking twice.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

I am re-opening this thread. Please remember all posts are supposed to be civil - no personal attacks, no sarcasm, no snarky comments, no accusations, no name calling.

Stay on topic. DO NOT DISCUSS OTHER POSTERS - PERIOD.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-02-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 09:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
It boils down to this. Animal lovers understand their relationship with their pets and non animal lovers don't get it. It is that simple, and the two different camps will never get the other person's viewpoint. I won't convince you and you won't ever convince me.

All I can say is that my personal life has been enriched enormously by the wonderful dogs and cats (and even a hamster thrown in) over the years. They give me a whole lot more than I give them and they never abuse our relationship........something I can't say for lots of people who have entered my life over the years.

Don

Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
I have had many dogs over my lifetime and in my experience they are far more loveable and loyal without an agenda other than the basics of life, i.e. food, water, exercise outdoors and a consistent hand; they are kind and true as well.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
I am thinking about the idiotic story about the pitbull owner(and she was an activist for pitbulls at that) who had her throat ripped out by her own pitbulls.
What does her hubby do?
Why,he bury the dogs with his wife.

I notice it is only certain ethnicities and cultures that treat animals better than humans.

There has to be a middle ground i suppose.
I do not want animals elevated over humans,but I DO NOT want to see the atrocities done to animals in some Asian cultures.
For ex,some Asian countries cook a half born duckling and eat it. NO NO NO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates