Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:50 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times

Advertisements

I think that the future will be Dystopian. Society's becoming more and more 1984-ish. Look at the way that political correctness has seeped into the mainstream. Pretty soon it's going to be considered a "thoughtcrime" to even think un-pc thoughts.

Too much surveillance in the current society. You can't even create a brand new email account WITHOUT linking it to a cellphone number. And that's just the way it is NOW. Imagine what things will be like 10 or 20 years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I think the divide between the haves and have nots will widen to the point where the haves will live in gated areas surrounded by security. Of course technology will continue to develop but only for the rich. The poor due to climate change and dwindling everyday supplies will turn on each other and create their own form of government.
What is sad is it seems the US is heading there quicker than it should be thanks to the Obama ideals. He has some good ideas but we are not living in the age of Star Trek. We cannot go to sickbay for free when we are not feeling well. We cannot chill out and explore our creative sides no matter how many times Pelosi spins the high unemployement as "freeing people from Job lock" . We need decent paying jobs to put food on the table and a roof over our head. We can't go to a machine and order a cheeseburger and have it materialise out of thin air. For the millions of illegals the Obama adm. wishes to give amnesty to who will feed, clothe and house all these people? The answer today is the working middle class who are being crushed by taxes and expensive feel good programs.
I feel the US is quickly moving towards becoming a third world nation where the difference between the Haves and Have Nots will be disgraceful.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:45 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
It is a little hard to respond to this claim because I am not very clear of the time-frame you are using to suggest that water and food will be a problem in the future.

This is clearly incorrect as we have a history of improving our food generation (or farming) techniques. Genetically modified crops changed how we plant food. And already, we have the preliminary techniques to start creating synthetic meat in the lab.

Read Bill Gates Blog on the future of food for more information.
Most people over look the obvious. Without fresh water, there will be no crops. The ability to grow food is getting better all the time, but you still need large amounts of water. California farmers (right now) are going out of business because they can not get the water they need for their crops.. Fresh water has been directed to LA for private consumption, from the Colorado river before the farmers get their water.

A huge portion of the Southwest is in a multi year severe drought that is expected to continue for several more years maybe even decades. Just a few days ago, the paper listed ten towns in Texas that have only weeks left till all their fresh water is exhausted. I was just talking to another forum poster who said that he and other neighbors have water shipped to them from 100's of miles away just so he can live on his property. The need to ship the water just became required this year, and obviously there is no water for crops.

I can understand why most people don't see this as an issue. 95% of the population has water available right at their tap at their sink. I live in farming country and water is the biggest concern we have, even more so then electricity. I can live without electricity but I can't live without water.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:19 PM

260 posts, read 195,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Add to Down Side:

- Monitoring, tracking, and control by international, federal, state, and local governments as well as large corporations will be ubiquitous and inescapable due to radical advances in technology
I think it will be great when there are no more secrets. As for authority having too much information? Good. They will keep the peace at any price and all people really want is someone who will give them something to do. It seems to be tabu for people to accept the reality that they need and want direction. Those who don't will deal with it just as those who do will complain but be happier for it.

Why is that bad?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
I think that the future will be Dystopian. Society's becoming more and more 1984-ish. Look at the way that political correctness has seeped into the mainstream. Pretty soon it's going to be considered a "thoughtcrime" to even think un-pc thoughts.

Too much surveillance in the current society. You can't even create a brand new email account WITHOUT linking it to a cellphone number. And that's just the way it is NOW. Imagine what things will be like 10 or 20 years from now.
Other than technological advancements that will enable enforcement against Thoughtcrime, PC is nothing new except it may be the fore-bearer of a lasting judicial system that roots out malign dissent, keeps people on the correct and same page.

Why is that such a bad thing?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Most people over look the obvious. Without fresh water, there will be no crops. The ability to grow food is getting better all the time, but you still need large amounts of water. California farmers (right now) are going out of business because they can not get the water they need for their crops.. Fresh water has been directed to LA for private consumption, from the Colorado river before the farmers get their water.

A huge portion of the Southwest is in a multi year severe drought that is expected to continue for several more years maybe even decades. Just a few days ago, the paper listed ten towns in Texas that have only weeks left till all their fresh water is exhausted. I was just talking to another forum poster who said that he and other neighbors have water shipped to them from 100's of miles away just so he can live on his property. The need to ship the water just became required this year, and obviously there is no water for crops.

I can understand why most people don't see this as an issue. 95% of the population has water available right at their tap at their sink. I live in farming country and water is the biggest concern we have, even more so then electricity. I can live without electricity but I can't live without water.
Other than an immediate reduction in people, we need to realize that just because the Mafia says "Move to Las Vegas" doesn't mean we should move to LV, a place with not enough water to sustain such a large population. The American Southwest should never have been so over-populated as it is now but some folks gotta have that tan.

I think the water thing will mostly be a non-issue in 10 years. People will no longer be able to reproduce so irresponsibly and there is the distinct possibility that there will be a 'containment protocol' initiated to rid the planet of so many unnecessary people before it truly gets bad.

Also, there is cloning. Cloning of meat tissue, vegetables, etc. for consumption and insects too, which are a never-ending supply of proteins the UN has started using in poorest Africa to feed the hungry rather than water-intensive former commodities like rice.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:42 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times
Quote:

I dont know if I have detailed answers to the questions your raise here, but I think future technologies are going to be able to solve many of these problems -- including water shortage.

WaterGen, an Israeli Company has demonstrated the technology to create water.

It was called one of the most innovative companies of 2014. This and many other similar technologies can solve these problems ... just give it a few years.
Originally designed to hydrate troops in severe combat situations, Water-Gen created a water generating unit that turns air moisture into drinking water. That's right: It creates water out of thin air. The solar or electric-powered water generator, which can sit on the ground or in vehicles such as tanks, produces between 10 and 20 gallons of fresh, cold, drinking water per day.

For California, Water-Gen's water-generating technology has great potential to serve those located in the state's Central Valley, a large, dry and rural area.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Quote:
Westernwilly; I agree with most of your ideas, but not all.

Computer tech will continue to advance.
Robotics will change a majority of the lower paying jobs (just saw a news video at a local green house that has several robots that work 24/7/365 and they are only $25,000 each). Even per the employees there, the robots are faster and do a better job. Fast food will become automated. Manufacturing will drastically increase the automation as it becomes cheaper. I would guess that we could see a 80% decrease in robot costs over the next decade.

Just read an article that said that the US is using 75% less gasoline for consumer use then we did in 1996. I have difficulty believing 75% but I would believe 30% by the charts I have seen. I think this trend will continue. People are moving back to the city or closer to their job. California has had a big enough decrease in fuel tax revenue that they are talking about taxing mileage driven to make up the difference.

The middle class will slowly disappear and with it will be our culture, this will take decades and will be slow enough to not be noticed by most.

Fresh water will be the biggest emergency and will be serious within years. This will make the Southwest of the US a wasteland after the population of the Southwest moves to the East. California will have a very serious problem.

Food prices will YOY increase to the point of causing some starvation among the lower income. This will cause rioting. If you think that riots could not happen in this country (USA) then you need a history lessen. I'm old enough to have been in the riots of the 60's.

I can continue but I'm not trying to right a book, just a post for a forum.
Why? Why would water in the Southwest just disappear?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:52 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
With the so called climate change does not look good for man , as God is bringing a global drought , as His hand is off the earth as people turn their backs to Him and sin abounds

Old 06-04-2014, 05:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Other than an immediate reduction in people, we need to realize that just because the Mafia says "Move to Las Vegas" doesn't mean we should move to LV, a place with not enough water to sustain such a large population. The American Southwest should never have been so over-populated as it is now but some folks gotta have that tan.

I think the water thing will mostly be a non-issue in 10 years. People will no longer be able to reproduce so irresponsibly and there is the distinct possibility that there will be a 'containment protocol' initiated to rid the planet of so many unnecessary people before it truly gets bad.

Also, there is cloning. Cloning of meat tissue, vegetables, etc. for consumption and insects too, which are a never-ending supply of proteins the UN has started using in poorest Africa to feed the hungry rather than water-intensive former commodities like rice.

This is very real and not some conspiracy drivel and progressives are behind it.

Agenda 21, the Population Bomb, and the Georgia Guide Stones | The Anomalies Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates