Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
^^^Really? I don't think so. Do you see intervention in films that depict christians, gays, jews, blacks in an offensive way? No. So there goes that argument.
I see films that detect MUSLIMS in a bad way have a bounty placed on the film maker.

Moderator cut: Against Great Debates guidelines

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-06-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 12:32 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,247 times
Go on internet sites when there is a discussion of the gay lifestyle.

Gays can throw the words " haters" and "bigots" all day long.

Yet, if one with opposing views uses the word "perverted" they many times have their posts removed, get a warning from the moderator, and get suspended from posting.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:02 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,315 times
Yes
We live in a politically correct society where we are suppose to walk on eggshells

EVERYONE thinks they're a victim nowadays, maybe with the exception of East Asians.

Gays, straights, whites, blacks, illegals, republicans, democrats, women, men--all sensitive idiots who think the world revolves around them and become offended at anything and everything.

All you have to do is read the comments in yahoo articles. Then you'll see whiny Bob talk about how he didn't get into Harvard because Harvard accepted a black person in place of him due to affirmative action.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:17 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
The Millennial generation is just soft soft soft, the slightest thing will blow up. I think 1 of 2 things is occurring
Quote:
- We're just becoming soft and overemotional
Becoming softer and more emotional (meant as "emotional" in the positive sense) is a good thing and not a bad thing though IMO, if you really think about it!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
Yeah, I think people make a big deal out of something just because they think they can. It's not that it bothers them so much, it's their fifteen minutes of attention. And if it does bother them that much, then they need to get a grip cause lets face it, this is life and you have to deal with whatever is thrown your way. Lets put on our BIG Boy/Girl pants and get on with our lives...

Old 06-06-2014, 02:49 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
Didn't know which category this would fall under so I just put it here. Keep in mind this is the point of view of a college student so I can't do the whole " back in my day..." posting. It just seems like nowadays you can't say anything, as I like to say, " outside the box" without somebody catching feelings(young people slang for getting offended) over it. The Millennial generation is just soft soft soft, the slightest thing will blow up. I think 1 of 2 things is occurring

- We're just becoming soft and overemotional
- We've gotten progressively meaner and the softness is the adaptation to that.
I think all this eagerness to get offended, can be nothing more than an excuse to attack someone that meant no harm, and to then gain the support of others, in the attack. As far as I can see, this is one of the worst methods of bullying.

I'm often dubious of the motives of the one that's been offended, and quite often I can see there is more to it, but since they are being seen as victim of sorts, no-one is willing to question their purpose in this claimed offence.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:55 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Oh it's no doubt an overly-PC world we live in. But, white guilt started it a generation ago, now known as the Boomers. Us x'ers are the ones that built it into the vernacular, and the current generation now uses it as a calling card.

NO film maker would be that disrespectful or controversial. Except the one and Sasha Baron Cohen.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:55 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
I don't think so.

Some people are all about how they have such a thick skin and that nothing bothers them.

There are plenty of people out there who don't really care what people say or think.
Or so they say, but the devil is in the details. There are some people who make that general statement that end up proving themselves wrong time and again. There are some that actually live that viewpoint, but also some that are the opposite. It is often just a macho statement to make oneself appear tougher than they really are in my experience.

There is always something that might bother us a little. The key is to express the disagreement in a mature way rather than over the top at some minor matter.

I think the "nothing bothers me" type and those bothered at every little thing are the extremes. Most well adjusted people try to be at the happy medium. It seems there are fewer people with the balanced perspective today.

We should not over-react over a minor thing. About ten years ago, there was a group of us that met for coffee and one guy was older (in his 70's) and would on occasion use the term "colored fellow" when describing a black acquaintance. One guy kidded him by telling him what year it was and that was message enough as far as we were concerned, but we knew the era he grew up in and did not scold him. Now in a workplace this would be a no-no of course. He was not meaning it derogatorily because he liked the guy. If it had been the "n-word" we probably would have asked him to not say it.

By the same token if you hit someone's dog with your car by accident, you don't rudely attack the owners by saying it was just an accident and they are upset over nothing. Believe it or not, there are some people like that. It is about common sense.

Just my two cents and if you disagree, I'll try not to let it bother me. LOL.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-06-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 PM

36 posts, read 49,123 times
I don't know if we've gotten too sensitive, but we have gotten to the point where most people speak very sensitively for fear of potentially offending anyone that may be hyper-sensitive to what is being said.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:38 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
As to the OP's comments I think there are too many people on either extreme (too sensitive or too rude/insensitive) and not enough that strike a healthy balance.

On the word phrasing, I don't mind if a group does not want a term used, but I want clarity over confusion (remember in the 90's when people were not sure if black people should be called "blacks" or "African Americans"; then the "Indians" or "Native Americans" issue. I think all four are fine today). The best term for all of us is the human race of course.

Kind of a cop out answer, but that is what I have observed. In any event, I doubt anyone will be too sensitive in reply or too rude either. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates