Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,959 times

Advertisements

Walmart wasn't created out of thin air by some evil supreme capitalist in the sky. The lament about Ma and Pa stores being run out of business doesn't hold weight, because Sam Walton was one himself when he started Walmart as a small town discount store in the 1960's. All the other Ma and Pa's had the same opportunity, but either chose not to, or didn't have the business acumen to do so.

Does Walmart game the system? Of course they do. If enough consumers find enough distaste in Walmart's business tactics, that they refuse to shop there, then Walmart will go out of business. So far that hasn't come close to happening. Most of the opposition comes from the upper middle class and wealthy moralizers, who have no need to shop at Walmart, nor the need to consider Walmart as a source of employment.

Having stated the above, it would be interesting to see the financial hit Walmart would take, if all government entitlement programs would suddenly end. On both the revenue and employee costs side of the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
In a world in which we have endless war, pollution, starvation, lack of clean water, etc. I cant be mad at wal mart. They have low prices and hire/promote black people. What else can I ask for?

Those mom and pop stores in my old neighborhood where I grew up pre walmart never hired black kids.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:29 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Walmart wasn't created out of thin air by some evil supreme capitalist in the sky. The lament about Ma and Pa stores being run out of business doesn't hold weight, because Sam Walton was one himself when he started Walmart as a small town discount store in the 1960's. All the other Ma and Pa's had the same opportunity, but either chose not to, or didn't have the business acumen to do so.

Does Walmart game the system? Of course they do. If enough consumers find enough distaste in Walmart's business tactics, that they refuse to shop there, then Walmart will go out of business. So far that hasn't come close to happening. Most of the opposition comes from the upper middle class and wealthy moralizers, who have no need to shop at Walmart, nor the need to consider Walmart as a source of employment.

Having stated the above, it would be interesting to see the financial hit Walmart would take, if all government entitlement programs would suddenly end. On both the revenue and employee costs side of the equation.
I would say most Americans game the "system" to some degree. America was founded with the notion that "Americans" would have integrity, morals and ethics. Not so much now. It has become a game in itself. It is not capitalism's fault either.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 AM

287 posts, read 506,546 times
I shop at Walmart and other big box stores being fully aware of their questionable practices and ethics. While I conceivably could "stick it to the man" and give my money only to local businesses, it's not worth the hassle or extra cost. I do business every day with companies that I don't like, but I have to pick my battles; I can't fight The Man on everything, else I'd go insane.

It's hard stomaching the idea that my hard-earned money is going towards some CEO's yearly $30 million bonus, but I have no alternative that allows me to save the same amount of money on the products I buy.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 PM

202 posts, read 265,108 times
I'm no Walmart fan but when push comes to shove they're no different than any other big box store with miniumum wage workers, products made overseas, corporate tax breaks.

I used to work for a very high-end department store. Most workers still made minimum wage, the only difference is that you pay $150 for a shirt made in China or Vietnam as opposed to $15.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
I'm no Walmart fan but when push comes to shove they're no different than any other big box store with miniumum wage workers, products made overseas, corporate tax breaks.

I used to work for a very high-end department store. Most workers still made minimum wage, the only difference is that you pay $150 for a shirt made in China or Vietnam as opposed to $15.
And that is what people don't seem to understand. Walk through any mall in America and majority of the employees you see are making minimum wage or close to it. Also, these are chain stores. Go into most grocery stores and these employees are making close to minimum wage.

Fast food workers want $15 an hour. Well what about that employee working at Hot Topic? Should they also make $15 an hour? How about that kid handing out samples of Panda Express in the mall? Should they also make $15 an hour?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Moderator cut: against forum guidelines
Retail work can be very physically demanding. You don't suppose all that mdse unloads itself from the eighteen wheelers and just flies up on the displays by itself do you? Or maybe you think moving around heavy mdse all day isn't really work? Productivity for cashiers is TIMED, how many items per minute are scanned, obviously OP is clueless about how retail works.
It can also be mentally exhausting dealing with the masses of stupid people who couldn't find Moderator cut: inappropriate , scammers who try to BS their way into fraudulent purchases or returns, entitled jerks who treat retail workers like scum, etc. etc., Yeah just a walk in the park working at Walmart, so much less deserving of a livable wage than someone who 'works hard' sitting at a desk all day.
I couldn't agree with you more.

I worked at Wal-Mart back in the 80's and I have always said it was the hardest job I ever had. Meaning it was work! Stocking shelves...all the lifting, bending etc. It ain't no picnic let me tell you! And especially for minimum wage!

Old 07-03-2014, 03:30 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Lots of small business owners don't know how to run a business that's why they are gone not because of Walmart.

When these small businesses close at 5-6pm during the week that's why they don't last. Most people work during the week until that time. People like to go home after work eat dinner and go out and run errands and do some shopping.

If you want to run a business and be open only 9-5 you will fail for sure.

This has happened to me many times I go to the local businesses and they aren't open or just about to close. So I save that hassle and just go to the big chains that I know are open 24 hours or at least until 10pm

Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
The walmart groceries in our area are co-existing with the family grocery stores in our area quite well. They just do NOT sell the same items. The family chains near here seem to sell lots more ethnic foods, better bakery items, and ethnic deli items. You will NEVER see in a walmart. In our metro area that is how the shoppers buy.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Lots of small business owners don't know how to run a business that's why they are gone not because of Walmart.

When these small businesses close at 5-6pm during the week that's why they don't last. Most people work during the week until that time. People like to go home after work eat dinner and go out and run errands and do some shopping.

If you want to run a business and be open only 9-5 you will fail for sure.

This has happened to me many times I go to the local businesses and they aren't open or just about to close. So I save that hassle and just go to the big chains that I know are open 24 hours or at least until 10pm
This is the same exact issue we have in my town. The business district is right by the commuter train station. Most commuters come home after 6pm. When does the local hardware guy close?..5pm. He has complained he isnt making money and that home depot is killing him. I told him to stay open to 8, he would pick up more sales from the commuters. He said he is open enough....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates