Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 09:03 PM

66 posts, read 114,294 times

Advertisements

We live in times when stupidity, superficiality and mediocrity are idolized while people boast about how hard they work, how big is their salary, and how much taxes they pay. People competing about having material things... no matter at the expense of what in many cases... even if it's selling illegal drugs.

The worst that can happen to a society is when people become wealthy, but still mediocre because having money is the only standard to determine success. There are many examples in Hollywood. Justin Bieber, which has become a role model for many youths, is another example. Food for thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 12:04 AM

48 posts, read 139,343 times
That's why I hope China and Japan continue to buy more U.S. Treasury securities to pile on top of the $5 trillion they already own. They will conquer the USA without a single shot being fired.

All these superficial "rich" Americans won't be smiling or bragging too much after they're made into sweatshop peasants earning $5/day like the average Chinese worker.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:26 AM

410 posts, read 1,107,338 times
In general, we as a society no longer value intellectual pursuits. 100 years ago Latin and Greek were taught in high school. Now we teach remedial math and reading in college.

You can watch the local evening news and it is 50% celebrity gossip and reports on the newest fast food options. We are a dumbed-down society and most people don't care. As long as we have the latest phone, biggest gas-guzzling vehicle, sexiest clothes. We are walking zombies who can't even write a correct sentence. We know nothing.

We don't think. We want everything done for us.

People worship talentless media figures and listen to talk show hosts for advice.

We are our biggest enemy and we don't even know it.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:55 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Every society has always revered that which is superficial.

Pomp and pageantry of all sorts is inherently superficial.

The Pyramids at Giza (and beyond) were enormous exercises in superficiality. The elaborate rituals of nobility, the gaudy dress of priests, the idolization of actors in films and on the Elizabethan stage and those who were court jesters. In reality, a great many trappings of culture are simply superficial manifestations. Consider ornate gravestones that go beyond mere marking and recording. Or waxing ones car? Please. Aside from basic rust-prevention, most car cleaning is so it looks nice and shiny, not so it lasts longer. Our attire is largely superficial. Our silly bright-green, watered and fertilized and landscaped yards are superficial.

So? It's normal human behavior. And it's certainly nothing new.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:02 PM

66 posts, read 114,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
In general, we as a society no longer value intellectual pursuits. 100 years ago Latin and Greek were taught in high school. Now we teach remedial math and reading in college.
Nowadays, copy and paste is rampant in colleges as well academic dishonesty both from students and professors. When I was completing my Master's Degree there was a professor who used the ideas of one of the students for his doctoral dissertation without giving credit to the student. There is no ethics anymore, but survival instinct no matter what.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:43 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsy994 View Post
That's why I hope China and Japan continue to buy more U.S. Treasury securities to pile on top of the $5 trillion they already own. They will conquer the USA without a single shot being fired.

All these superficial "rich" Americans won't be smiling or bragging too much after they're made into sweatshop peasants earning $5/day like the average Chinese worker.
And all the US has to say to china is we wont pay you.

Of course that would destroy US governmant credit.....but its a good ladt ploy

Old 06-08-2014, 01:44 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
OP, learn a new word: nouveau riche. Also, parvenu. It very well matches what you referring to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau_riche
In Russia, it's a "new Russian". Epitome of Russian style parvenu.
But it's the same type of people. Also, they are the same everywhere.
Not sure why you surprised though. Idolatry of Mammon always lead to only this outcome.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:56 PM

48 posts, read 139,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
And all the US has to say to china is we wont pay you.

Of course that would destroy US governmant credit.....but its a good ladt ploy
LOL --- so you're saying the U.S. govt. wants to act like a typical consumer who doesn't pay their credit card bills ??

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan --- might as well serve up America on a silver platter to our Chinese Masters. They already own us.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipo11 View Post
We live in times when stupidity, superficiality and mediocrity are idolized while people boast about how hard they work, how big is their salary, and how much taxes they pay. People competing about having material things... no matter at the expense of what in many cases... even if it's selling illegal drugs.

The worst that can happen to a society is when people become wealthy, but still mediocre because having money is the only standard to determine success. There are many examples in Hollywood. Justin Bieber, which has become a role model for many youths, is another example. Food for thought!
I disagree, I know lots of people who do NOT idolize stupidity and superficiality..money is the "standard to determine success" only by those who strive to have more of it, and can't (and probably never will be) content with what they have.
It's up to the parents to teach by example rights from wrongs, not some star on T.V.
I don't know a Justin Beiber...I gather he's just another one of many actors...if teens had a parent or mentor in their lives they wouldn't be looking to the T.V. for their role model.
For many people wealth is not a prerequisite for health and happiness.
People who feel the need to flaunt or boast about the money they make are usually (in my opinion) hiding other insecurities...and it's their way of making themselves feel better.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Idiocracy was a so-so movie but a brilliant social commentary.

I don't think we're all that far from true Roman-style "bread and circuses" where reality shows will feature actual deaths.

This morning I was reading an article on whether Tom Cruise was still a "movie star". I am not a Tom Cruise fan, but the article was interesting in that it showed that box office trends favor "unoriginal" scripts. Sequels of comic book fiction and movies based on old TV shows do far better box office than something original. People just do not want to have to think anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates