Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
Well, even though I fish, though not that often, I never keep them. When the fish get gut hooked and die, I feel freaking horrible. The climax of fishing is the Fight, and then back to the sea it goes. I mentioned it before, but a mammals nervous system is the same as ours. They feel pain and fear quite the same way we do. Not justifying killing lower forms of life, just saying I wouldn't feel as bad as if I killed a mammal.
As far as hunting, I couldn't do it. When I was a kid, I shot a Coot with a BB gun. The bird flew off screeching. I felt like the biggest Moderator cut: language ever. I even put bugs outside,because I don't like to kill them. I will kill big spiders in my house only because I'm scared to death of them so I'm not picking them up, and I sure as heck can't sleep till it's out of the house. Little spiders, no problem, pick up, put them outside. Yea, they have to die cause I'm a wuss!
Now if I have reason to kill something, I would have no problem doing it, but I wouldn't feel good about doing it.
To me, and maybe I don't understand it, but it's seems like in hunting, the climax is the killing. So again the question is why do hunters enjoy the kill? No trying to condemn people, just don't understand it. I've watched hunting shows where guys look like they made a mess in their pants when they kill something. You just took a beautiful animals life, it should a somber moment.
If there is No pleasure in taking the animals life, then what is it about hunting that is so awesome that so many people do it.
You said it yourself: You don't understand it. You are making a major assumption that the climax is the killing. And you make this assumption because you probably have little to no understanding on the mind and thought process of an ethical hunter. There are a lot of hunters out there who have a kill in their crosshairs and let it walk. Why? Because the whole experience is the climax. I went out for the first time last December. Within the first 5 minutes of setting up shop out in the woods I knew this day would be a fulfilling experience whether I went home with a kill or not. At the end of the day, having several months worth of meat just made the whole thing better.

The idea that a hunter "takes pleasure" in "the kill" is overly simplistic. The point of success in a hunt is an exciting moment. It is not necessarily the kill itself, but the culmination of everything that went into that moment. If you don't understand it, get out and try it before you arrive to conclusions about others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Truly, y'all saying that it's okay to hunt for entertainment because its a form
of family/friend bonding time, or that y'all don't really enjoy the part where
the animal gets a bullet shoved through its brain and its legs give out but
rather the part you put fear into its mind and cause it to run all over the
woods/plains what have you, is really a form of deluded self-justification
remarkably similar to that of your average serial killer.

I've
always been sensitive to the experience of animals without a voice. Cats,
iguanas, mice, dogs, deer...they all feel life, too, but in a quieter, cruder
fashion I suppose. The only reasonable conclusion I can draw about the
character of someone lacking empathy for creatures outside their own species is
either sheer ignorance or a dark evil.
Why don't you answer the question below:
Quote:

Are you OK with slaughtering animals raised in cages yet you're not OK with
allowing animals to live wild, free, dignified existences and suffering a minute
or two of being killed by a hunter (or animal predator)?
You keep declaring your empathy for animals and how they are no different than humans in that they feel pain, fear, they play and enjoy life. You keep making the analogy between hunting wild animals and serial killers.

Do you believe that a cow feels less pain, fear and enjoys munching grass in a pasture less than a deer? Do you believe the person who would make his livelihood killing and butchering innocent animals every day enjoys it any less than a hunter enjoys killing. He doesn't have to do that type job. He must enjoy it. What kind of deluded self-justification or dark evil draw a person to a job day after day killing.

Do you also believe serial killers really enjoy taking the life of their victims or do you understand that most serial killers suffer from mental disorders, psychosis, family history of drug, alcohol or sexual abuse. Do you know that some hunters do feel actually feel remorse and empathize and feel a connection with their kill. The reasoning and drive in the mind of a serial killer and that of a hunter is so contradictory that making that analogy would seem ignorant.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Of course eating plants isn't bad. I think you've been arguing with people who have tried to reason with hardlining, proselytizing, ethical strict-vegetarians to no avail and have decided that the only thing left is to troll.
"Plants can ‘hear’ themselves being eaten - and become defensive when attacked."

Plants can hear themselves being eaten - and become defensive when attacked | Mail Online

At least meat eaters kill their food before they eat it and don't eat it alive like vegetarians.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
"Plants can ‘hear’ themselves being eaten - and become defensive when attacked."

Plants can hear themselves being eaten - and become defensive when attacked | Mail Online

At least meat eaters kill their food before they eat it and don't eat it alive like vegetarians.
You know, hunting is pretty mild compared to the horrorible deaths visited upon plants. We chop them into little pieces, or bite off little bits at a time. We boil them alive, we pull their leaves off one by one, we mash them, or we skin them alive. We rip open a pea pod and eat its babies one by one, while it watches.

I think I'm going to become a strict carnivore. At least then I'm only taking one life per meal, instead of dozens or even hundreds of lives.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You know, hunting is pretty mild compared to the horrorible deaths visited upon plants. We chop them into little pieces, or bite off little bits at a time. We boil them alive, we pull their leaves off one by one, we mash them, or we skin them alive. We rip open a pea pod and eat its babies one by one, while it watches.
Yup. I recognize the tongue-in-cheek but on some level it's kind of interesting how easily people consume plants without any qualms at all. Both plants and animals are mechanical machines. Because animals move around a bit more and have an illusory "consciousness" we innately value them differently (higher) than plants. And some people think eating animal flesh is disgusting or pitiful, while eating plant flesh is A-okay.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yup. I recognize the tongue-in-cheek but on some level it's kind of interesting how easily people consume plants without any qualms at all. Both plants and animals are mechanical machines. Because animals move around a bit more and have an illusory "consciousness" we innately value them differently (higher) than plants. And some people think eating animal flesh is disgusting or pitiful, while eating plant flesh is A-okay.
I agree. Just because a rabbit looks more cuddly than a head of lettuce is no reason to discriminate against the poor vegetables. We shouldn't condone species-ist behavior in our modern and enlightened society.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:56 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
I can't believe the animus towards hunters displayed here. Again, neither I nor my husband, nor anyone in my family ever hunted, but that doesn't mean it's "immoral" for others to do so. Equating hunting with animal torture and abuse is nuts. And, although I don't eat meat, I do use animal byproducts, and someone has to slaughter those animals, right?

Hunting, and I'm not referring to canned "hunts," which I abhor and where I'd invite the wimps to take their chances hunting a bear in the Adirondacks, is a managed exercise here, and I'm assuming that's the same elsewhere. There are rules for hunting, and hunters who don't abide by them will have their hunting licenses revoked. I have no reason to believe that good hunters don't want to make a clean and quick kill, just as other natural predators do.

Generalizing that hunters are cruel and driven by a desire to inflict torture on animals is as ridiculous as generalizing that people who don't hunt are never guilty of animal abuse.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I agree. Just because a rabbit looks more cuddly than a head of lettuce is no reason to discriminate against the poor vegetables. We shouldn't condone species-ist behavior in our modern and enlightened society.
Technically, it's more like kingdom-ist, but your point is taken

Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines

I believe hunting qualifies as a sport because there are rules to follow and you are competing against other hunters. It takes skill.

If herds of deer weren't culled, besides inbreeding and disease, there would be serious damage to the ecosystem from over grazing. Plus they'd be as invasive and as much a nusance as boar, which some here feel are exceptions.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-10-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
This has Nothing to do with my question.
I am absolutely fine with killing animals to eat, get rid of an invasive species or protecting life or property.
The guy at the slaughter house isn't enjoying killing the cow. I've watched hunting shows. These guys look like they are taking get pleasure in killing something.

The problem is taking Pleasure in killing something. No one ever answers this!
You still haven't given any reason that taking pleasure in killing your own food is a problem. Yeah, I love it when I catch a big Chinook or a pheasant folds from a perfect shot. What is your reason for feeling there is something wrong with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates