Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM

173 posts, read 256,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I call B.S. What species did they hunt? What methods did they use? What state are we talking about. How do you know that they didn't eat what they kill?

To answer your very simple question, I've never killed any animals purely for fun and if I saw someone do it my respect for them would suffer proportionate to the perceived depravity of the act.

Note that this does not mean that I don't enjoy hunting. I enjoy hunting a great deal and there is an undeniable recreational value in a successful hunt that is greater than an unsuccessful hunt. What I want you to understand is that this enjoyability is present whether you are a subsistence hunter somewhere off the grid in sub-saharan Africa or if you are a city dweller from a family of great means who drives right past an organic grocer every time he or she goes hunting. In fact, the guy who MUST hunt probably has more fun killing something than the city dweller.
Well, if people who do it for subsistence take pleasure in it, that is certainly no less depraved.

I also have to wonder: is someone who finds great satisfaction in going on a killing spree of deer, elk etc. the same sort of person who enjoys going on a killing spree of more fully sentient humans, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:54 AM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I come from a family of hunters. We, nor any hunter I know, kill for jollies. If the hunter does not eat the meat they give it to friends or donate it to someone who needs it.

I know what you are describing and it is not the typical hunter. Near where I live there are "hunting preserves". These are places where they "raise" deer, elk, buffalo, sheep, etc. and charge a but load of $$ to city folks to take them out and kill nearly domesticated animals for the trophy head or rack. Its about as sporting as walking in a pasture and shooting a cow. While riding my horse I have come upon what I call piles of death where these lodges dump the remains, skulls with horns/antlers cut out, feet, etc. But even then the meat is processed by the preserve if the client doesn't want it. I know that because I have been given meat by employees when they clean out their freezers each season. I think that kind of practice is crap, but again it is not your typical hunter.

Managed hunting serves a purpose. It is a way to keep populations thriving. Left unchecked there will be a cycle of population explosion, disease and starvation and population crashes. And you know what contributes to the necessity of managed hunting? Lack of habitat due to urban sprawl and road construction. So next time you go to the mall, eat at that new restaurant, drive on that new highway or thru that new housing development you might want to ask yourself the same question.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
"People who oppose hunting are dumb, they don't know what it's like to starve," etc.
>>Which may be a valid argument in a part of the world where food is very scarce, but in the U.S.A., people can effortlessly make a switch to a vegetarian diet and still be healthy (which I have been evidence of for the past decade), and I doubt most American hunters actually kill deer, etc. for any form of consumption.

This statement alone, tells us why you're opposed to hunting ! If you don't want to hunt, don't, but you are one of those people that what everybody else to think and be like you.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersavina View Post
Well, if people who do it for subsistence take pleasure in it, that is certainly no less depraved.

I also have to wonder: is someone who finds great satisfaction in going on a killing spree of deer, elk etc. the same sort of person who enjoys going on a killing spree of more fully sentient humans, too?
Honey, you don't go on a killing spree. There are very specific guidelines to follow including age, gender, and number of animals you can take. They must be tagged and checked in.
I cant say I know any hunters that have gone on a killing spree or killed another human. So, uh, no.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
"People who oppose hunting are dumb, they don't know what it's like to starve," etc.
>>Which may be a valid argument in a part of the world where food is very scarce, but in the U.S.A., people can effortlessly make a switch to a vegetarian diet and still be healthy (which I have been evidence of for the past decade), and I doubt most American hunters actually kill deer, etc. for any form of consumption.

This statement alone, tells us why you're opposed to hunting ! If you don't want to hunt, don't, but you are one of those people that what everybody else to think and be like you.
I'd say that supporting vegetarianism where it is viable is more of an addendum to my general compassion for other living creatures, rather than a reason for being against hunting. That seems like kind of a strange assumption to make;

killing animals for pleasure and indirectly supporting animal slaughter/factory farming, etc. by eating meat when you can easily (and healthily) not do so both are examples of lacking enough compassion for animals other than humans, in my opinion.

I'd say that if someone, like me, sees hunting for sport as sadistic in nature, but sees absolutely no reason to become a vegetarian, that would certainly be odd.

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-23-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Honey, you don't go on a killing spree. There are very specific guidelines to follow including age, gender, and number of animals you can take. They must be tagged and checked in.
I cant say I know any hunters that have gone on a killing spree or killed another human. So, uh, no.
Yeah, I know typically you need a permit, etc. before legally engaging in the sport in many places.

Killing spree or not...5 deer or 1... What I mean is killing for pleasure.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, for sure, if a creature frantically signed to me, "No kill I," it would cause pause.
Sentient does not have to mean "can speak English".. just thought I'd put that out there..

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I come from a family of hunters. We, nor any hunter I know, kill for jollies. If the hunter does not eat the meat they give it to friends or donate it to someone who needs it.

I know what you are describing and it is not the typical hunter. Near where I live there are "hunting preserves". These are places where they "raise" deer, elk, buffalo, sheep, etc. and charge a but load of $$ to city folks to take them out and kill nearly domesticated animals for the trophy head or rack. Its about as sporting as walking in a pasture and shooting a cow. While riding my horse I have come upon what I call piles of death where these lodges dump the remains, skulls with horns/antlers cut out, feet, etc. But even then the meat is processed by the preserve if the client doesn't want it. I know that because I have been given meat by employees when they clean out their freezers each season. I think that kind of practice is crap, but again it is not your typical hunter.

Managed hunting serves a purpose. It is a way to keep populations thriving. Left unchecked there will be a cycle of population explosion, disease and starvation and population crashes. And you know what contributes to the necessity of managed hunting? Lack of habitat due to urban sprawl and road construction. So next time you go to the mall, eat at that new restaurant, drive on that new highway or thru that new housing development you might want to ask yourself the same question.
Yes.. I've heard about instances in which there have been places overrun by a species and local conservationists have called upon hunters to come wipe them out (do a cull) to rebalance the equilibrium and ensure other organisms can also thrive. That's something very different than what I'm referring to; just killin' for the Moderator cut: language of it; ...not for food, or any reason other than fun.

Just would like to know what the general consensus (based mainly on feeling, level of empathy) is on that.

I guess there actually isn't that much to debate regarding this; it's just a yes or no thing: do you have enough compassion not to kill a large animal for fun, or is the pleasure that you derive from it (if applicable) too great to resist?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-23-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
Quote:
I find this to be a rather bizarre connection to make. Hunters are typically not motivated by some sadistic need to kill something. Most hunters do it to get in touch with nature. It's the same motivation that people have to do other activities in nature, such as camping, hiking, etc. People don't have to sleep in the woods or hunt down their own food these days, but for some this is a way to temporarily get back to a simpler way of living as an escape. Most hunters have a good deal of respect for nature and eat the animals they hunt.

I'm not into hunting myself, but find it more noble to eat an animal that was hunted but allowed to live its life in the wild than eat meat from the supermarket that came from an animal that lived in a pen so it could be slaughtered.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Yes.. I've heard about instances in which there have been places overrun by a species and local conservationists have called upon hunters to come wipe them out (do a cull) to rebalance the equilibrium and ensure other organisms can also thrive. That's something very different than what I'm referring to; just killin' for the hell of it; ...not for food, or any reason other than fun.

Just would like to know what the general consensus (based mainly on feeling, level of empathy) is on that.

I guess there actually isn't that much to debate regarding this; it's just a yes or no thing: do you have enough compassion not to kill a large animal for fun, or is the pleasure that you derive from it (if applicable) too great to resist?
Dead is dead. I don't take issue with the why as long as the animal was killed humanely, legally and not wasted. If a person derives pleasure from the hunt and taking of the animal, and I'm sure they do to some extent or they wouldn't do it, who am I to judge? Personally, I hate to kill animals. Do I feel some empathy for the dead, sure, but I understand the greater good.

And it is not instances in places nor conservationists. U.S. Fish and Wildlife manage populations on a continuing basis everywhere. That is why there are rarely instances where the wildlife become greatly overpopulated.

Again, animals die for your pleasure. If you live in a house, drive on the roads, shop, eat in restaurants you are using up animal habitat. The loss of habitat kills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates