Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Wow, what I said was not mean and nasty. If you thought that, you are way too sensitive. People these days get so mad when you tell the truth. The majority of fat people are that way because they overeat. There's just no nicer way of saying it. Like I said before, not many people were fat 100 years ago, so obesity isn't just an accident. If people were actually honest with themselves and stopped making excuses, they could lose weight and be healthy.
There are ways to be truthful without coming across as a mean person...come on really,THAT is your true pattern of thinking?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:50 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I have hyperthyroidism. Check out my pics - I am slim.

The overweight people around me whom I see on a daily basis at work:

- eat big lunches in restaurants while the others bring their sandwich or have salad
- pour tons of sugar in their coffee
- bring Starbucks coffee to work
- drink soda while others drink water
- eat unhealthy snacks in between their meals on desks while we eat nothing or fruits
- always linger around the free snacks when somebody brings in something bec of special occasion.
- don't seem to be interested in any sporty activity other than just watching it on tv.

Then they look at me and complain I have better genetics. Makes me mad.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:06 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

- eat big lunches in restaurants while the others bring their sandwich or have salad
- eat unhealthy snacks in between their meals on desks while we eat nothing or fruits
- always linger around the free snacks when somebody brings in something bec of special occasion.
- don't seem to be interested in any sporty activity other than just watching it on tv.

If you are hyper, that is overactive, so you would more than likely be thin.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:08 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
I have to say....I don't think that the OP's statement is fair. I'm saying that as one who's always been thin despite eating like a field hand.

When I was in college, my first roommate was substantially overweight. When she first met me (we were initially assigned roommates back then), she kiddingly said "I hate you." We became good friends and, it's a fact, that I ate a lot more than she did! Yes, she snacked a lot (I still don't), but I ate larger portions and, generally, more than she did.

DH and I are both thin, and so are our kids. That doesn't mean we're necessarily making healthy choices, so people shouldn't wag their fingers at others about that, either.

All I'm saying is that, for many people, the tendency to put on weight is genetic. All you'd have to do is flip through our family albums and you'd see generations of thin, well-fed people. As an adult, I often think of that poor kid (my roommate) and am sad for how so many others made judgments about her eating habits.

What appears to be is not always the case.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:11 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Probably because they already know about their own body size and don't need another person pointing it out.

Some people really DO have thyroid problems and of that group, some can lose weight easier than others. But I think that having thyroid problems makes losing weight harder than not having them.

100 years ago, people - ALL people - got more exercise. Back then, people walked more, rode horses, didn't watch TV, and scrubbed their clothes on a rock. They didn't have an abundance unhealthy foods either.
I was so glad my doctor didn't follow the recommended guidelines and went ahead and put me on synthroid even though I was within the "normal" range - but very low. It really helped.

I started feeling better and more alert. I was already exercising regularly since I was military, but kept packing on the pounds. I did go from an active job to a desk job, so that extra activity was prior was probably helping the weight issues. I did have to increase my workouts to twice a day to get rid of the weight faster, but once it was gone, was able to taper back to normal daily workouts to maintain.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGMONoChemtrail View Post
I wouldn't say all fat people do this, but why does anyone make excuses for their failures? Because it's easier to make an excuse than to take an honest look at oneself and say, "I've messed up! I've been eating WAY too much and not exercising enough! I need to make some changes."
Finally someone I can agree with.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Probably because they already know about their own body size and don't need another person pointing it out.

Some people really DO have thyroid problems and of that group, some can lose weight easier than others. But I think that having thyroid problems makes losing weight harder than not having them.

100 years ago, people - ALL people - got more exercise. Back then, people walked more, rode horses, didn't watch TV, and scrubbed their clothes on a rock. They didn't have an abundance unhealthy foods either.
And what's stopping people today from exercising? There are still plenty of places to walk. And there are also a lot more gyms and fitness classes people can take advantage of.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Its a social stigma that some people feel release from so they feel better about themselves.

Its a similar situation as a divorce, where generally both parties say the other was at fault.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Thank you for proving my point. Hyperthyroidism doesn't have to make people fat. Yes, you might have to work a bit harder to stay slim, but it's not impossible. It's just easier to make excuses than take control of your weight issues.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:27 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
In countries with food shortages you do not see fat people.
Nor do you see it in any large number in countries without food shortages where people simply take better care of themselves and don't eat as much junk. (Japan and China are examples)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates