Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:45 PM

215 posts, read 351,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I am so sick "Guns kill people".
Normal gun owners do not commit mass shooting.
Why we cannot relook at mental illness and how we treat it?
You are correct, mental illness is not taken very seriously. Media and sound bites rule the nest.
We sure are wasting some great talent on really useless negative gun propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:59 PM

85 posts, read 132,381 times
Can't believe how quickly this thread has gone into the weeds.
As for the physician who commented about the skein of healthcare and privacy laws I know your despair. The healthcare professionals I have spoken to have basically said the same thing, that their hands are tied. A talented advocate can work from there. Unbind. Empower. Treat and or confine.

People forget why there is a Second Amendment in the first place. It's an insurance policy in the people themselves. Because as long as there has been people, somebody somewhere eventually will do something to you that is intolerable or want you to do something against your will. Either you submit or resist. The difference now is that here you are a citizen. Back then, you were a subject. In more ways than one.

Last edited by Mr.Quiet; 07-06-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Because countries that do not have guns do not have the gun violence problems that the US has in epidemic proportions.

No guns = no gun deaths. Easy answer that doesn't need to be made complicated.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Guns make it far easier to kill, and more likely. That applies to both murder and suicide. That's why we're TRYING to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, wife abusers, etc.

If all weapons were equally deadly, guns wouldn't be an issue. The gun enthusiasts would just carry screwdrivers and pencils.

This is true.

How come we never see people out hunting with butter knives and screw drivers?

Answer: Because knives and hand-arms are very weak, and ineffective single target, close-range, melee weapons.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Because countries that do not have guns do not have the gun violence problems that the US has in epidemic proportions.

No guns = no gun deaths. Easy answer that doesn't need to be made complicated.

Interesting assertion...naive, but interesting! It's especially interesting when you consider all of the countries that are supposedly non-gun and yet every one of them has gun homicides still...and suicides and accidents...

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/b...ence-with-ban/

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 07-06-2014 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 10:22 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
"Why do people blame guns instead of mental illness?"

Here's a question-why is it that when mental illness is the supposed problem, no solutions are offered? Every time there's a shooting, pro-gun advocates blame it on mental illness so those who are attempting to address the solution via gun control are said to be solving the wrong problem. However, as soon as attention is diverted, they all slink away, without ever offering a constructive solution towards the mental illness issue. I'm all for (reasonable) gun rights, but those in favor of gun control, regardless of whether they have actually found the cause, are at least trying to implement preventative measures. In other words, the people who blame mass shootings on guns try to stop guns, while the people who blame them on mental illness do absolutely nothing to try and solve mental illness. They just sweep the issue back under the rug.

Until a pro-gun advocate offers some sort of solution to the mental illness issue, I will tend towards the other side of the argument. I'm going to side with those that offer a solution to what they think is the problem rather than those who stop once they think they've identified the problem.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That exact thing happened in China: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/30/wo...hina.html?_r=0

The reason people aren't up in arms about knives is that most of those kids survived. Compare that to Newtown. If for some reason I'm stuck with the unfortunate choice of being shot or stabbed, I'll take stabbed every time. There are prisoners who have been shanked dozens of times and still lived. Few people get shot dozens of times and live. Bullets are a very efficient way to kill, after all.

Pumping weapons and ammo into a society of people who are largely undereducated and marginalized is criminally stupid.

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
According to the article, 5 of those 28 were critically wounded and apparently none died. What do you think the numbers would be if it was a gun attack?

Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Why don't we blame evil in the hearts of men?

Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I am so sick "Guns kill people".
Normal gun owners do not commit mass shooting.
Why we cannot relook at mental illness and how we treat it?
Why do people blame guns instead of mental illness?

BECAUSE, guns are too easily obtained, and easily obtained guns in the hands of a mental ill person (or child) is a recipe for disaster.

I agree that mental illness is an issue that isn't adressed properly for the safety of the sick person and everyone around them. Human rights makes it impossible to have a mentally ill person admitted unless they are an immediate and obvious threat to themselves and other people. Also, sometimes they seek help and they aren't taken seriously. By the point a mentally ill person snaps, it's too late.

Note: a suicidal friend of mine was turned away from our ER, and thankfully was discovered by her daughter after she took an overdose.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
I think it needs to be pointed out that the onion is not really a news source, it is satire. Some stories are somewhat based real news, others are just flat out made up.

From their FAQs:
Quote:
The Onion is a satirical weekly publication published 52 times a year on Thursdays. The Onion is published by Onion, Inc. The contents of this material are © Copyright 2010 by Onion, Inc. and may not be reprinted or re-transmitted in whole or in part without the express written consent of the publisher. The Onion is not intended for readers under 18 years of age.

The Onion uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases where public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.

NOTE: Editorial submissions of any kind are not accepted. The Onion cannot guarantee their return, nor can The Onion guarantee a response to unsolicited submissions. Requests for articles/graphics from past issues are not accepted and The Onion cannot guarantee a response to such requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates