Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 PM

313 posts, read 533,405 times

Advertisements

Especially outside the US, I notice since a lot of films, TV and other media are set in New York and Southern California/the greater LA area, characters or themes including say Jewish American characters, or Catholics, say Italians, are more common. I've nothing against these groups, but I'm wondering if it makes seem the US more Catholic/Jewish than it is? When I was younger I thought there were a lot more Jews in the US than there are, but outside the Northeast, LA, and a few other scattered regions, there are hardly any Jewish people in the US. Italians aren't really common outside the Northeast, some major Midwestern cities or San Francisco either.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:50 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,388,730 times
The rest of the U.S. outside of the East Coast and West Coast is sometimes referred to in a disparaging way as "the flyover states". So yeah, the concentration of the mass media in those two places makes them pretty narrow-minded and self-absorbed when they decide what to write about or film. There aren't a whole lot of tv shows or movies that take place outside of NYC or southern California. And when they do show the rest of the U.S., it's almost always in a rural context. You'd never know there were big cities in the Midwest, the Plains, the Southwest, etc.....

Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM

233 posts, read 375,692 times
The Catholic church is the largest single church in the US, well the world - so it's an easy default. A lot of urban areas east of the Mississippi have high populations of Jews.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 PM

13,704 posts, read 22,002,504 times
Key words here are "TV, film and other media" which have never, ever reflected the average American household or lifestyle. Ever.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 PM

233 posts, read 375,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Key words here are "TV, film and other media" which have never, ever reflected the average American household or lifestyle. Ever.
What about Roseanne? lol.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM

6,414 posts, read 5,547,645 times
Catholics are by far the largest Christian denomination in the US. Yes it is the overwhelming majority religion in the Northeast and S. California; but those aren't the only areas that are heavily Catholic. Most of the midwest, especially around the Great Lakes, is Catholic as well. The only other geographic "concentrations" of particular religions/denominations are Baptists throughout the South and Mormans in Utah. Then you have the many other protestant denominations scattered all over the place. Catholics are still the largest though; and they are growing in huge numbers. This is especially true in the South and West with the large growing hispanic populations there.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,642,990 times
I think so. I am originally from the Midwest (Nebraska and South Dakota) and now live in Seattle, and I have yet to ever even meet a Jewish person. So it always seems pretty foreign to see them represented in movies or shows as if they are a large segment of the population. And I know some Catholics, but even they are not in huge numbers in the places I have lived.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,916,756 times
Heck yeah! I don't know about Catholics, but it seems like if you just depended on the t.v. to determine demographics you would assume that about 20% of Americans were Jewish, but in actuality they make up less than 3% of the population. I actually have tons of Jewish friends, but I live in Florida.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,979,562 times
I always thought Protestants were overrepresented-but then again I'm from Philadelphia-where there are more white Catholics and Jews than white Protestants.

If religion/prayers/church are shown on TV it is almost always Protestant-I remember being confused when I was a kid why nobody ever said the Catholic blessing before meals on TV haha. Italian, Irish, Hispanic Catholics and Jews are often stereotyped it seems. The biggest and easiest example I can think of now is The Simpsons where just about everyone is Protestant and there are several jokes toward Catholicism and Family Guy- which is rare that it shows a Catholic family but they are crude and dysfunctional and the show has several crude jokes directed toward Jews.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,763,250 times
I believe Catholics are the largest single Christian denomination in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates