Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 10:58 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
strangely she never developed any symptoms in her blood, but her boyfriend continues to mess around with women in the area, and this was nearly a decade ago. From what I remember that HIV is not so much associated with gays but it has become increasingly being associated with the African American population especially amongst black women who are more likely to catch the virus than white or Hispanic women.
You don't develop symptoms in your blood. Routine blood tests usually cannot detect HIV infection. The only reliable screening test is the HIV antibody test and that's only 100% accurate after 3 months of infection.

Part of the problem with HIV is that many people are not educated enough to see the first signs. After the initial infection it can take many years to see other symptoms.

There is a one common symptom that shows usually two or three weeks after the person gets infected. People ignore it because it resembles a flu infection typically including any one or more of: fever, rash, swollen lymph nodes, muscle aches and joint pains. During that period (seroconversion) the common blood tests are unable to detect HIV antibodies so the person either needs to wait a few weeks or their doctor may order other tests that can detect the infection sooner.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You are spreading misinformation & there is nothing that irks me more than people who spread untruths. Please read this. CDC - HIV Transmission - HIV Basics - HIV/AIDS
Where is the "untruth" in the fact that anal sodomy is far more dangerous than vaginal sex?

HIV is a blood or semen bourne virus passing through damaged membranes, and it is much easier to rupture an anus or rectum than a vagina or cervix. The latter are designed to stretch to give birth, after all.

Although I certainly don't reccommend unprotected vaginal sex either, the empirical results after over three decades bear this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect
"yes, and also, the act of anal sex has become extremely popular with hetero teens and young adults, but it is more conducive to spreading HIV than vaginal sex. Why? because unlike vaginal sex, anal sex sort of ruptures the colon walls microscopically so that the microscopic capillary blood vessels in the intestinal wall are exposed and open to picking the virus up from the semen immediately. It goes directly into the blood stream. This is one reason why it was gays getting so much of it from the start. The human colon is simply not constructed to have things inserted,as it causes a certain degree of damage; it is constructed for things to flow outward from it. Even minimally, microscopically, ruptured capillaries lining the intestinal wall are a direct conduit into the blood stream."

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-16-2014 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: correction per OP

Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yard View Post
Anal sex is practised by hetero people as well, don't you think that it would have spread widely among them too? For that reason.
Not so much. With "bath house culture", you had gay men who had multiple anal sex partners, often over 500.

Even the highest levels of female promiscuity never got that high.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or maybe if AIDS research funding had been made available in the years before a famous gay actor friend of a former actor President died, they would have had an earlier start on identification of the virus and how it was transmitted.

You will recall, I'm sure, that the only two people researching AIDS at the CDC had to buy a microscope with their own money because they were turned down for funding to research a disease that was mostly only killing gay people. Oh, and heroin addicts.
Gee, when an ounce of prevention in this instance would have equalled not a pound but literally countless tons of cure.....

This was not a disease that was spread by casual contact, although there was initial hysteria about that. This was a disease spread predominantly by certain practices. And we all knew it, even then.

"Everyone who preached free love in the Sixties is responsible for AIDS....This idea that it was somehow an accident, a microbe that sort of fell from heaven -- absurd. We must face what we did."--Camille Paglia

Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 AM

12,041 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I was working for the State of MN during the time that Reagan was President. Efforts were being made early to educate state health workers about the disease. The training I was sent to receive was in late '84-early '85. A lot of people hadn't even heard about it yet at that time.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
morals didn't change so awfully much between the 50's and the 70's ..... people STILL had sex before marriage, people still cheated on their spouses, homosexual activity STILL occurred.....

It just wasn't talked about in the 50's ..... After all, if it is not acknowledged, then it doesn't exist.... right??

Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Because of irresponsible behavior within the gay community, I believe the heterosexual community will end-up suffering once again -- HIV/AIDS eventually transferred from the gay community to the heterosexual population -- and that a large number of heterosexuals will again end-up affected and/or die as a result of this new HIV explosion with the gay community.

In effect, innocent heterosexual people (bystanders) will again end-up being collateral damage that resulted from a new explosion of irresponsible behavior within the gay community.

There is no reason in the world why anyone should have to learn for a second time that the stove is hot. Much less end-up causing people who do not go anywhere near the kitchen to be severely burned and/or die.

The lack of respect this demonstrates for other people goes far, far beyond disgraceful.

I forgot to add the link to the story in my OP.

AFP.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moderator note from forum moderator: There will be no tolerance for gay bashing. The topic is two part: 1) is the current behavior/attitudes of some members of the homosexual community leading to an upsurge in AIDS and 2) will it impact the heterosexual community. This is not a thread to discuss whether homosexuality itself is acceptable or not, and all posts to say that or allude to it will most likely be deleted and, if it is offensive, the poster may be infracted. Please keep on topic. ~Oldhag

How are hetero people "innocent" when practicing unsafe sex or IV drug use etc.?

The only "innocent" people are the spouses who's partners are DL cheaters/chasers/drug users. Straight or gay.

And it's usually MEN so your outrage should be with the MEN infecting the [presumably innocent] hetero women.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you think gay men are any more reliable in the fidelity department than their straight counterparts, I would beg to differ.

According to a recent study/article in Atlantic magazine a claim was made that SSM men are supposedly better at fidelity, but didn't read the article and or do not know the methodology behind.

What one does know is that no small number of SSM one knows are on Grinder or similar Apps, the Internet and so forth taking their pleasures outside the marital bed. Andrew Sullivan one of the more famous gay activists/author etc... admitted years ago IIRC he and his husband have an "open marriage".

"The book Sex in America: A Definitive Survey, by authors Michael, Gagnon, Laumann, and Kolata, cites a study of homosexual male couples conducted by gay researchers.
The couples who participated had been together between 1 and 37 years.

Findings were as follows:
  • 100% (all) of the couples experienced infidelity in their relationship within the first 5 years.
  • Couples who remained together past the 10-year mark were able to do so only by accepting the painful reality of infidelity in their relationship
  • More than 85 percent of the couples reported that their greatest relationship problems center on issues related to outside relationships
Same sex marriage alert: Shocking statistics on gay and lesbian infidelity - National Sex & Relationships | Examiner.com

Take away message is that regardless of whom or whatever one is married or involved in a long term relationship with you have to do you first. For centuries "nice" wives were infected with all sorts of STD from their husbands. From royalty down to peasants it didn't matter. HIV is just another brick in the wall so to speak. This is why it is important to know one's status at all times. If you are HIV- before marriage and become aware and or even think your spouse is stepping out, it is time for a sit down.
Well, speaking for myself, I've never "experimented" outside our relationship and have no reason to believe my partner has either. I've known gay couples who had open relationships and it never worked for them. If you can't be monogamous, I don't see the point in a relationship. Or why you'd want to spend your life risking your health.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Because of irresponsible behavior within the gay community, I believe the heterosexual community will end-up suffering once again -- HIV/AIDS eventually transferred from the gay community to the heterosexual population -- and that a large number of heterosexuals will again end-up affected and/or die as a result of this new HIV explosion with the gay community.

In effect, innocent heterosexual people (bystanders) will again end-up being collateral damage that resulted from a new explosion of irresponsible behavior within the gay community.

There is no reason in the world why anyone should have to learn for a second time that the stove is hot. Much less end-up causing people who do not go anywhere near the kitchen to be severely burned and/or die.

The lack of respect this demonstrates for other people goes far, far beyond disgraceful.

I forgot to add the link to the story in my OP.

AFP.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moderator note from forum moderator: There will be no tolerance for gay bashing. The topic is two part: 1) is the current behavior/attitudes of some members of the homosexual community leading to an upsurge in AIDS and 2) will it impact the heterosexual community. This is not a thread to discuss whether homosexuality itself is acceptable or not, and all posts to say that or allude to it will most likely be deleted and, if it is offensive, the poster may be infracted. Please keep on topic. ~Oldhag

The CDC in Atlanta has a HUGE department for this problem. They've anticipated this big rise in numbers for some time. It's kinda nuts. I wish that there were a cure; while I'm not a fan of the behavior that leads to it, my dear friend and former roommate died in 2009 from AIDS, and it was heartbreaking.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

Oh, and when you get Shingles (it seems to happen to all of us, at some point, now), or if you rush for the Vitamin C when you get a cold, you should possibly reflect upon all the research that was done into viruses - particularly retroviruses - because of the AIDS Epidemic. Today, if you get Shingles, you can go and get a prescription to a drug developed as a weapon against AIDS. Previously, you would have suffered for years. Likewise, the knowledge of fighting viral infections with lifestyle changes, diet, and antioxidants, spread outward from Gay men who were trying anything and everything to survive the AIDS epidemic, in the Eighties. Some of the strategies they tried worked, and we all benefit from those advances in knowledge.

Many treatments for different diseases over the years have come out of others' suffering. Are you suggesting we all thank gay men and drug abusers for spreading AIDS? I think we all appreciate the sacrifices made by those with illnesses. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates