Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,694,124 times

Advertisements

A lot of the angst surrounding this topic stems from our long history of exploitation of immigrant labor. The other side of the equation includes a view toward the question of national sovereignty and authority and whether it is vested in the citizenry or the mercantile class. The "corporatized American" has come to believe that the privilege of democracy in now ensconced in the power structure, and the interests of business (i.e. "business needs) as something being above that of the citizenry. The underlying theme here is that America is now deficient in it's ability to sustain some kind of mythical tech "edge" without the help of foreign labor, and I've also concluded that paid shills for the various immigrant labor visa programs are out in force now because the stakes are high in this corporate campaign that seeks the lowest dollar compensation for labor, and getting the public's thinking steered in that direction is crucial to that end..

Most of the chatter regarding immigration is relevant to work, or on the right of things, the fear of an emergent political force. You hear a lot about "hard work" this is the immigrants mantra, why? Because they've been told that we love those who work hard and contribute to society. But, all too often these immigrants end up as low wage workers who contribute little except to act as a social burden to the taxpayer and a boon to those whose homes, children, and lawns are maintained for little cost. Those from the more privileged classes of India and Asia with the means to get here usually do well in the general scheme of things, but, they too represent a load on America simply for the fact that they are here at a time when we have an employment crisis of our own.

On another note, I've noted more than a few posts here that allude to the inevitability of a scenario that posits the presence of a larger and larger foreigner populace in the US up to the point that we could be held hostage to the whims of the foreigner's political interest. If this is an inevitability, and it may well be, the only conclusion one could draw from that would be that our immigration problem is most likely the the most important civics lesson America ever had. We, the citizens of America will need to turn off the tube, the gaming, the entertaining, and participate, otherwise, "we" won't be the "we" much longer..

Marketing Amnesty and Cheap Foreign Labor | The Tribune Papers

Good report on the sales job we're getting from the likes of Facebook Mark...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-26-2014 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Merge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,225,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
A lot of the angst surrounding this topic stems from our long history of exploitation of immigrant labor. The other side of the equation includes a view toward the question of national sovereignty and authority and whether it is vested in the citizenry or the mercantile class. The "corporatized American" has come to believe that the privilege of democracy in now ensconced in the power structure, and the interests of business (i.e. "business needs) as something being above that of the citizenry. The underlying theme here is that America is now deficient in it's ability to sustain some kind of mythical tech "edge" without the help of foreign labor, and I've also concluded that paid shills for the various immigrant labor visa programs are out in force now because the stakes are high in this corporate campaign that seeks the lowest dollar compensation for labor, and getting the public's thinking steered in that direction is crucial to that end..

Most of the chatter regarding immigration is relevant to work, or on the right of things, the fear of an emergent political force. You hear a lot about "hard work" this is the immigrants mantra, why? Because they've been told that we love those who work hard and contribute to society. But, all too often these immigrants end up as low wage workers who contribute little except to act as a social burden to the taxpayer and a boon to those whose homes, children, and lawns are maintained for little cost. Those from the more privileged classes of India and Asia with the means to get here usually do well in the general scheme of things, but, they too represent a load on America simply for the fact that they are here at a time when we have an employment crisis of our own.

On another note, I've noted more than a few posts here that allude to the inevitability of a scenario that posits the presence of a larger and larger foreigner populace in the US up to the point that we could be held hostage to the whims of the foreigner's political interest. If this is an inevitability, and it may well be, the only conclusion one could draw from that would be that our immigration problem is most likely the the most important civics lesson America ever had. We, the citizens of America will need to turn off the tube, the gaming, the entertaining, and participate, otherwise, "we" won't be the "we" much longer..
The inevitability you are talking about is partly a reality in many parts of America today. The work visa discussion has much interests from India and other countries. The illegal immigration problem has lots of vested interest groups all over the discussion. Voting bloc, business lobby, ideological conflicts. There is no consensus. And no, Americans are participating. Religious groups want to take in migrants, for example. They are participating not in your ways. Not everyone understands your math.

The only people who don't seem to have a big lobby are the middle class.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM

35,785 posts, read 21,159,559 times
Quote:

Although I am NOT pro illegal immigration, I don't not fault the poor man trying to feed his family,,,BUT I think the "root" stems from us even today- forget the past...The mighty dollar $$ as you pointed out- takes precedence over rule. On another token, we are being bought out by foreign investors. So where is OUR land- ours anymore? A cash foreign investor can low ball a deal for a home right under the noses of some poor hard working us citizen dealing with credit, family, jobs and savings... and our VETS lose out as well... Cash TALKS the rest walks.
There is no balance and it will be the end of us. We are not even allowed to fly our US flag at will HOA will take your home.. Yes, citizenship? our very core is being stripped. Rules of immigration are put in place for the poor not those in high places that really make a difference.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,225,646 times
Quote:
Marketing Amnesty and Cheap Foreign Labor | The Tribune Papers

Good report on the sales job we're getting from the likes of Facebook Mark...
I would say you are unlikely to get much support from the left. This is too conservative to many liberals.

Also, the left already is much driven by rising political groups. It sometimes makes me wonder if the people in these liberal rallies even matter as much as it looks. You said the "we" will no longer be "we". I think that's happening now. The reason there is no consensus on the issue is that the citizenry is already a changing demographic. There isn't a concept called "Americans" anymore. That community is being dissolved. A new community of international people is being formed in some of the most prosperous cities.

Did you see how little attention politicians give to native Americans and African Americans? It's all about where the biggest votes come from. When people shouted stop deportation at Obama rallies, most Americans there didn't say a thing except nodding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates