Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Neither, treat it like tobacco or alcohol.

This shouldn't be that hard of a discussion, but we've spent several generations demonizing it and not dealing with the real facts about it. Its intellectually disgraceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Nixon wanted to hit the marijuana thing "right square in the puss."

Hi ignored his own commission's recommendations and findings.

43 years later his legacy lives on.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And what applies for marijuana should also apply for tobacco
Correct. The natural state ag product tobacco.

Quote:
-- just don't come running and whining...
Just don't confuse tobacco with the industrial product **cigarettes**
Can you appreciate the distinction?

Beyond the adulteration and advertising aspect the volumetric level doesn't compare:
even the stoniest of stoners aren't going to consume all that much MJ per year.
Few adults will ever consume more than an ounce or two.
That adds up to somewhere around the weight of 3 or 4 packs of coffin nails.

We don't need an ATF system for MJ.
There's no reason why adults can't buy that ounce at the farmers market...
in another wicker basket right between the asparagus and heirloom tomato's

Old 08-09-2014, 10:02 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Medicine or illegal drug?
Neither.
They should just repeal all laws of prohibition.
It is a natural plant.
I also say neither. It's a plant! What other plants are illegal? I can grow over a dozen different plants in my garden that have the capacity to kill a person; Castor, Foxglove, nightshade...just to name a few, but 'can't' grow marijuana? That makes no sense to me at all.
This is just a scam game for the Feds.
Quote:
The problems all began when they made it illegal. Before that it was common and it was a cash crop for many uses, but I don't think it was sold for people to smoke. The canvas on the covered wagons was made of hemp fiber, as were flags.
You are aware that Hemp and Marijuana are not the same thing. Yes, both are Cannibis Sativa, but just as any other plant, there are variaties. And yes, people smoked marijuana, if try did not grow it, them they had to get it from someone who did. Maybe they did not sell it, but rather traded for it. Who knows. The point is that marijuana has been in use for centuries. For recreational, for medical and as a stretch, industrial (hemp).
It is actually hemp that helped fuel the prohibition. Several big companies felt threaded by Hemp because of how versatile and useful it is.
This is where things get a little ironic. Due to big industry, Hemp; a subspecies of Cannibus Sativa was made illegal. So other Sativa strains are also illegal. But...they failed to include Cannibus Indica.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I would challenge that. Although the FDA does believe there is potential for a few cannabinoids, if they were to be completely isolated and synthesized and turned into a pill after being subjected to 15 years of testing and trials, to have some limited medical usage, the overall stance of the Federal Government at large and the Drug Enforcement Agency in particular is that there is no evidence of any benefit attributable to cannabis.

The USA govt KNOWS that their are a number of [proven]medicinal properties and uses for marijuana. I'm wondering why they took this patent out if they're not going to make use of it...the patent clearly states some of the amazing anti inflammatory properties..............................https://sites.google.com/site/6630507/home

Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
The USA govt KNOWS that their are a number of [proven]medicinal properties and uses for marijuana. I'm wondering why they took this patent out if they're not going to make use of it...the patent clearly states some of the amazing anti inflammatory properties..............................https://sites.google.com/site/6630507/home
The official government position is that there is no medicinal value in marijuana.

Even the first sentence in the 4th paragraph of you link states: The DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) classifies marijuana as a dangerous drug with no medical value.

So really, while people within the government know that MJ is misclassified, the official position is that it is a schedule 1 drug with no medical value. Drug companies don't even think that MJ is really a schedule 1 drug as at least 2 drugs are using synthetic THC and/or CBD's, but I don't remember the names or what FDA phase they are in.

Resources - Controlled Substance Schedules
Schedule I Controlled Substances
Substances in this schedule have no currently accepted medical use in the United States, a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and a high potential for abuse.
Some examples of substances listed in Schedule I are: heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), peyote, methaqualone, and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("Ecstasy").
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
Actually, the federal government does NOT deny that cannabis indeed possesses some medicinal value. It's just that, as a whole, they don't feel it should be made as legal as alcohol in view of the myriad problems that legalization would incur.
If this statement were true MJ would not be classified as schedule 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
To say that the Gov places pot in the realms of crack and meth is absurd. The laws are far, far, harsher for those drugs than for cannabis. Hell, in my state, kids are getting five years prison time for getting busted with a mere $10 worth of meth. My state puts meth in it's own, nefarious category insofar as drug-laws and their mandated penalties are. And our crack laws are just almost as harsh.
But anything less then an ounce of pot will sometimes just get you a ticket and a court date.
Given that this thread is about the federal government, what happens in any individual state is irrelevant. Typically, unless you are selling large amounts you aren't gong to get the Feds attention and would be charged under state law. State law varies between a felony for simple possession in AZ to no penalty in CO. However, under current legislation, federal possession charges are the same for cocaine, heroin, marijuana, as well as other controlled drugs.

The federal penalty for possessing any amount of marijuana is 1yr jail and a $1000 fine.
The federal penalty for possessing any amount of cocaine is 1 yr jail and a $1000 fine.
The federal penalty for possessing any amount of heroin is 1 yr jail and a $1000 fine.

21 U.S. Code § 844 - Penalties for simple possession | LII / Legal Information Institute
FEDERAL Laws & Penalties
NY & Federal Laws for Cocaine or Crack Possession or Sale
Heroin Possession: Charges, Penalties and Defense | Criminal Law

Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 AM

lycos has it right (although Cocaine is actually Schedule II).

I don't happen to have much [if any] respect for the federal scheduling and sentencing guidelines. There's a really good quote I wish I could find but I'm at work and have very little access to things. Later.

Marinol is one attempt to patent one of the constituent parts of cannabis.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM

Here's that quote:
Quote:
The war on drugs is in truth a war on some drugs, their enemy status the result of historical accident, cultural prejudice, and institutional imperative

Is it the quality of addictiveness that renders a substance illicit? Not in the case of tobacco, which I am free to grow in this garden. Curiously, the current campaign against tobacco dwells less on cigarettes’ addictiveness than on their threat to our health.

So is it toxicity that renders a substance a public menace? Well, my garden is full of plants—datura and euphorbia, castor beans, and even the stems of my rhubarb—that would sicken and possibly kill me if I ingested them, but the government trusts me to be careful.

Is it, then, the prospect of pleasure—of “recreational use”—that puts a substance beyond the pale? Not in the case of alcohol: I can legally produce wine or hard cider or beer from my garden for my personal use (though there are regulations governing its distribution to others).

So could it be a drug’s mind-altering properties that make it evil? Certainly not in the case of Prozac, a drug that, much like opium, mimics chemical compounds manufactured in the brain.
There's not a lot of rhyme or reason. Want to have an unbelievable, otherwordly, profoundly hallucinogenic trip, that's completely legal and easily obtainable? Take two of these and call me in the morning: Robitussin 4 oz Adult Lingering Cold Long-Acting Cough - 354 milligrams of DXM HBr per bottle

(note: don't actually do it, there are about a million things to know first, but the point stands)

Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think MJ, along with all the rest of these drugs should be sold, as hard liquor in New Hampshire, in government owned stores where the quality and quality can be controlled. The profits derived from these sales can be used to detox the unfortunate that want to stop using.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Here's that quote:
There's not a lot of rhyme or reason. Want to have an unbelievable, otherwordly, profoundly hallucinogenic trip, that's completely legal and easily obtainable? Take two of these and call me in the morning: Robitussin 4 oz Adult Lingering Cold Long-Acting Cough - 354 milligrams of DXM HBr per bottle

(note: don't actually do it, there are about a million things to know first, but the point stands)
Or Salvia; it's legal and comes from a plant.

DrugFacts: Salvia | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates