Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: against forum guidelines

Cops know that the job is dangerous when they sign up for it. They are usually very well compensated for their work, and as Dd714 notes, their job is actually not all THAT dangerous.

When anyone dies through another's actions, it's a tragedy. But an unarmed black teenager was shot in a town that had all sorts of simmering racial tensions, and then the local and state government handled things pretty poorly on top of that. It's a perfect recipe for disaster.

Moreover, every single cop killing becomes national news - as in reported at the national level. So this idea that these deaths go underreported or unnoticed is a load of bull. When a cop gets killed during a commission of a crime, it is a tragedy, but not UNEXPECTED. When a cop who is sworn to serve his community guns down an unarmed teenager, that IS unexpected. So yes, it will get more coverage, and when that killing spawns protests, military actions and riots, it will get a whole Moderator cut: language more coverage.

And yes, society should definitely be telling cops how to do their jobs. Because we fund them. They are there to protect and uphold the society we want to have. We must set the standards that they maintain and the rules for how they maintain those standards. Just being a cop does not mean someone should have carte blanche to do their job however they want, OP. And if you think that, I think you should probably move to North Korea or something.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-19-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
No dead police officers in my state of Maryland. I live in Baltimore and was at least expecting to see one!

My father was a cop for over 30 years before retiring. While it's sad to read your list, recognize that those numbers are insignificant compared to other professions that don't have the right to bare arms. Not trying to make light of your rant, but knowing first hand how there can be some down and dirty members of the force, those numbers just don't move me, dude.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
We've made a lot of progress as far as protecting the Police in this country. 33 officers killed by aggression last year was the lowest in decades.

People will feel sympathy if they are able to connect to the person. People die every day in this country and you can't get emotional over every death you hear.

If your a good person people will mourn for you.

To me its not the imminent danger I feel sorry for the Police about, its the pyschological/emotional turmoil some go through. I dated a cop and he had some issues from being a good guy on a "corrupt" force and from some of the things he witnessed daily. Great guy though

Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Still, you shouldn't beat up someone of authority when that said person is trying to enforce rules.
Part of the problem is that cops are not lawyers -- and laws are not always clear. In addition, society's values are ever-changing.
Does that mean that it's not the cops' fault? No, but it sure as heck would make things easier for everyone if we had fair laws and legally educated cops. But that would be ridiculously expensive and unfeasible...

Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Yeah, all these people sit back and bad mouth cops, but when they need help they sure don't pick up the phone and call a thug. If you think things are bad in this country now, just imagine for a minute what it would be like if every cop suddenly disappeared !

Police have a necessary, sometimes thankless job to perform. We ask them to deal with a segment of society none of us want to know about, yet, when things get a little rough, we scream foul.......how dare the cop try to protect himself !!! After all, he/she is our paid servant.

Hypocrites are what these people are.

Don

Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
If there were no police, everybody would be carrying weapons. I can't imagine people being more violent if they knew that every person they met was packing.

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away", after all.

You'd probably have a lot more crazy drivers. Deaths from vehicle accidents would probably rise due to drunks being on the road. There'd also be a lot less people in jail for petty offenses like drug possession and prostitution.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 AM

329 posts, read 387,795 times
Police officer deaths are acceptable in the US, in our screwed up idea of society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
According to statistics I have read, you are 8 times more likely to be killed by a cop in America then by a terrorist. Sorry if I don't shed a tear when a cop gets killed.
Then you are willing to have 911 deactivated from your phone and home? Or are you just another cop hater that still calls them after every bump in the night?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-20-2014 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Merge

Old 08-20-2014, 08:31 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
I am about as moderate as they come but I think across the board there is a growing concern about the militarized image that the police are projecting.

What was once a protect and serve mentality seems to have become a do my job and get home safe by any means necessary mentality.

Just one mans observation.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I can tell you that one of the tennessee deaths happened in my county.

Fat dude had a heart attack and crashed his car and died.

His problem, why should I feel bad?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM

329 posts, read 387,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
'
The skateboarders in questions had no weapons either. The fight was between a 19 yr old skateboarder and the park ranger. So like I said, the park ranger probably just did not have any defensive training.
Watch the vid, three or four on one all with boards in their hands. All smiling and having a ball while the two take turns bashing in the head of the ranger.
And some of you see no problem with it and it must have been the rangers fault. Contrats, you are part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates