Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,975,444 times

Advertisements

It seems like the hierarchy of importance is more or less like this, in Western countries:

1. Children (the most important)
2. The elderly
3. Young adults
4. Teenagers
5. Middle aged people (the least important)

Do you think this is somewhat more justified than racism or sexism? Nobody has any control over how old they are. Why does a person deserve more or less compassion based on how long they have existed on this planet?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-25-2014 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: No polls in this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,011,620 times
It's ridiculous. Because I have learned as I have aged that I didn't know diddly-squat when I was young. Even though I thought I did. When I get older still, I will probably wonder what Moderator cut: - I was thinking during my middle years. It's been that way my entire life.

Luckily, I have had a few elderly friends in my life who have told me what's really important. If everyone reached out to an elderly person (preferably of the same sex -- menopause and similar "male issues" matter) and asked, "Hey, no BS, what can I really expect to happen during my life," the answers could be very, very eye opening.

Young people are a latent resource. Old people are a largely untapped resource. I challenge everyone who reads this post (except for the post-60 crowd) to go find a stranger/acquaintance who is at least 30 years older than they are (and preferably even older than that) and ask this stranger/acquaintance, "Hey, you've got a lot of years on me. What's really important in life?" The answers could surprise you.

I ran into such a person about 20 years ago (gone, sadly) who broke it down in about 20 minutes. Broke what down, you ask? Nothing short of the meaning of life. At least the meaning of life as he saw it. I'm not doing everything he suggested. But I'm doing most of it and it's working out pretty well. I'm certainly a better person for having met him.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-25-2014 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 08-25-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I ran into such a person about 20 years ago (gone, sadly) who broke it down in about 20 minutes. Broke what down, you ask? Nothing short of the meaning of life. At least the meaning of life as he saw it. I'm not doing everything he suggested. But I'm doing most of it and it's working out pretty well. I'm certainly a better person for having met him.
Can you tell me what he said?

Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,011,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Can you tell me what he said?
Context.

Basically, there is no meaning to any of it. Just go out there and do whatever it is that makes it all work for you. Also, simultaneously plan for the fact that you might not live to see next year, and that you might live to see the next century. Futhermore, the entire global monetary system is a gigantic shell game. There's no meaning to that, either. You can play the game, or you can opt out and go live in a cabin somewhere. Neither choice matters, unless you need urgent medical attention at some point in your life.

This person spent the better part of two decades trying to strike it rich. He finally made it. A solid nine figures. And then he learned he had prostate cancer and only had a couple years to live. I met him in between the "made nine figures" stage and the cancer diagnosis.

The main thing he taught me is that we get exactly one go at this thing called life. Make everything count.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 08-25-2014 at 03:32 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,435,372 times
Well if I understand your question correctly, you are asking why more attention is paid to children and the elderly? Well we are a compassionate species that actually evolved to care for our weak. Most species care for their "children" and all of them do their best to ensure their survival. Nothing new here. However we do pay particular close attention to our elderly because we are compassionate. Also we too oneday will be elderly, so we'd like to reap what we sow!

Im not sure Id call this ageism though.....

Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
Which group is most capable of taking care of themselves with no one elses assistance?

The middle aged group. Thats why we have no help, everyone expects us to have our stuff together.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,349,771 times
Perfectly legal ageism goes on around the country every day. There are certain jobs that have either minimum and/or maximum age limits for applicants. Airline pilots and certain federal employees have a maximum retirement age regardless of their personal health. There are neighborhoods in many states that will not allow someone below a certain age buy a piece of property or live in a house.

Just think if the above rules applied not to age but to race or sex. There would be public outcry and condemnation all around.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Which group is most capable of taking care of themselves with no one elses assistance?

The middle aged group. Thats why we have no help, everyone expects us to have our stuff together.
Well I think it goes beyond just being able to take care of themselves ... I think people actually care less about and empatheise less for non-elderly adults and teenagers than they do for old people and kids.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 AM

898 posts, read 1,220,865 times
any prejudice is justifiable IF it is backed by data/facts. older people cost much more money than younger kids to hire train and keep working to the end. i wouldn't hire someone old over a young naive kid who i can pay far less and won't drain his sick days for every little joint ache. younger people also have fresh ideas compared to older people so that's a huge bonus in an environment like technology.

racism has some justification such as looking at which race commits specific types of crimes and what job offer you have on hand. you would also look at your customer base and if they don't want a certain race around, you shouldn't hire from that race because you could and probably would lose those clients. everyone doesn't live in a post-jim crow era and the business owner must work within that framework.

ultimately a business is there to make money. if hiring a certain age or whatever makes that business more money, it will do just that. so just going by that, i would justify any prejudice. this is exactly what corporations do by doing a made in china thing everywhere. that was just based on cheap labor of course but ageism again comes into play. many chinese workers are very young and likely to be child laborers. this certainly is the case in pakistan where you will see little kids sewing soccer balls for nike. at some point, none of these isms mean anything if more money can be made. that's just childish talk about equal rights and so on. money rules in the end. getting there means breaking some moral rules, well, so be it.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 08-28-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates