Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:17 PM

240 posts, read 240,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I saw this post today on my online message board. And I was just so annoyed by it!

It seems so bizarre to me to want someone to help you out, and then put extraordinary specific terms on the agreement. Feels super entitled to me!

And it got me thinking about other similar examples. Many years ago I was staffing my company's tradeshow booth. We gave out mugs. Some people would come up and then ask if they could choose a specific color of the free mug, and be annoyed we didn't have multiple choices. I recall other vendors telling me the same thing!

Have you noticed an increase in entitled behavior in recent years?
I travel a lot and notice that some Americans think the rule the world and deserve everything to be the way they think things should be..it is so not the case and very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,745 times
Yes.

Part of it is because we live in a victim society.

Everyone is a victim...be it kids, women, babies, men, blacks, straight people, gay people, Christians, Atheists, Muslims blah blah

Old 10-31-2014, 03:48 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
Quote:
I saw this post today on my online message board. And I was just so annoyed by it!

It seems so bizarre to me to want someone to help you out, and then put extraordinary specific terms on the agreement. Feels super entitled to me!

And it got me thinking about other similar examples. Many years ago I was staffing my company's tradeshow booth. We gave out mugs. Some people would come up and then ask if they could choose a specific color of the free mug, and be annoyed we didn't have multiple choices. I recall other vendors telling me the same thing!

LOL, are you kidding? Check out goodwill organizations sometime about furniture donations. Don't be surprised if they refuse something you were using yesterday! Talk about entitlement!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:20 AM

6,398 posts, read 6,288,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Yes.

Everyone is a victim...be it kids, women, babies, men, blacks, straight people, gay people, Christians, Atheists, Muslims blah blah
Yes, it's pathetic when people overly play the victim card. But I think in this area there has been such a looong history of "blaming the victim" that we might just be seeing the backlash that has caused.

The obvious example being a rape victim who was "asking for it" because of how she was dressed.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,242,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post

And that Victim Attitude has really increased and been promoted since about 2008.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 AM

877 posts, read 1,317,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And that Victim Attitude has really increased and been promoted since about 2008.
It didn't miraculously start or appear, nice try.

It's only gotten worse as the PC brigade tries to dictate what should and shouldn't be said. White men are the victims because they aren't in control of everything, white women are victims of unrealistic standards (aka not being fat), blacks are victims of everything, Christians are victims of atheists and Muslims, poor are victims of the wealthy, the wealthy are victims of the poor

At the end of the day people should really just shut up and stop trying to outdo one another in victim hood. People need to take personal responsibility for themselves, stop holding groups accountable for their actions and move on.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,432,101 times
Quote:

Well, he wants to buy it. He doesn't want it to be in his house stinking of cigarette smoke, covered in dog hair...I don't see anything entitled about it.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
Quote:

With the Rich Dad game, the person probably can't afford to buy it new and is giving it as a gift, maybe for Christmas. That's all I read into it. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a hating on the poor thread.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:09 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,432,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
People are becoming more entitled. There is nothing wrong with taking freebies at special events like festivals, concerts, etc or anywhere else. But my post is more about people in general.

Just look at our Black Friday tradition here in the US. This says it all, really. Right after a day that is all about being thankful of what you have is a day all about wasting your day away in a line to get 20% off something that will be deemed not good enough in probably less than 5 months. Every year there is news about fights, shootings, and even murders on Black Friday.

Stores like Macys are opening even earlier on Thanksgiving day. These stores are run by cashiers and sales associates, aka people. Not robots. They have to work on holidays and spend less time with their families, for what? So entitled customers can get their hands on the newest iPhone/iPad because the previous one is not good enough anymore.

It is pretty clear that your average American would rather spend time with their smartphone than their family.
Your example has nothing to do with being "entitled." People throw the word entitled around way too easily on here. Its as if they cant think of the right word to use, so the default word is entitled. The word you were looking for was greedy btw.

Entitled people can be summed up in the youtube video of the woman saying "who's going to pay for all my kids." That's entitlement.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:48 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,556,669 times
Quote:

I have noticed an increase, but the example you shared doesn't quite fit to me. He is asking for a used item in excellent condition for a cheap price. He didn't give a number, and "cheap" is relative. Nothing wrong with asking. People get rid of valuable items all the time for close to nothing. I'm all for finding those deals.

But I get the gist of what you're saying. I sell stuff online on the Facebook resale/garage sale pages all the time. I often come across new items, with tags on them, that I sell at a discount. I had a dress from Bebe, new with tags, that sold for $140. I wanted $50. Someone offered me $10. Really? LOL. But that is the element on those pages and I can't take it personally. I simply decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates