Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
X 0 0%
X 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:39 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,777,818 times

Advertisements

No polls in Great Debates

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-12-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
Well, I tell my son not to live in a "what if" world, because a unicorn may fart and make kill all the terrorists, but here goes.

I'd save the person. All things that man builds will become rubble one day anyway. I have my soul and conscience to worry about.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:25 PM

646 posts, read 465,923 times
I would also save the person; I couldn't live with myself and would blame myself for having "killed" him. So, purely selfish reason, I guess.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:41 PM

118 posts, read 157,500 times
People first, "stuff" after.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:45 PM

818 posts, read 1,018,544 times
An arm and leg according to a hospital. When you see the bill you might have a heart attack though.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:33 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,979,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well, I tell my son not to live in a "what if" world, because a unicorn may fart and make kill all the terrorists, but here goes.

I'd save the person. All things that man builds will become rubble one day anyway. I have my soul and conscience to worry about.
The person is going to die too, and probably a lot faster than all those monuments. That's an odd dilemma for OP to bring up. I thought he/she was going to asking the monetary value of a human life.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The person is going to die too, and probably a lot faster than all those monuments. That's an odd dilemma for OP to bring up. I thought he/she was going to asking the monetary value of a human life.
This is true, but their life has not yet been fulfilled. This person could develop great things for human kind that have far more impact then a monument. Perhaps they will discover cold fusion. Perhaps they can develop a way to bend space time to make long distance space travel possible. Or maybe discover a cure for all cancer.

A rock monument is full of its potential, it is done, finished. Those things can always be built.

To quote a movie, "its a hell of a thing to kill a man. You take away everything he has, and everything he is ever going to be"

There is also the fact, would you believe the terrorists not to do this again?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,210,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Let's say you're at home minding your business and you get a call from a blocked number. The voice on the other end tells you to turn on your television. ....

Which choice would you make?
Right at that point my response would be "Stuff your head up your butt," and I would hang up.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 AM

30,285 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Let's say you're at home minding your business and you get a call from a blocked number. The voice on the other end tells you to turn on your television. You turn on your television and you see the image of a stranger gagged and tied up who will be executed by terrorists. The voice on the other end then tells you that you have a choice. If you choose for the stranger to live, the terrorists will destroy a number of great monuments of human achievement such as the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids, the Eiffel Tower, Machu Piccu, the Great Wall of China, and the entire collections of the British Museum, the Met, and the Smithsonian. If you allow him to die, all of these will be spared.

Which choice would you make?
Need more information. I need to know more about the person. Were they some pos who committed many heinous crimes? Did they murder anyone, mess with children, beat animals for fun, rob people of their life savings, etc?

I need to know more about the person before I could make a decision.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,979,743 times
Quote:
This is true, but their life has not yet been fulfilled. This person could develop great things for human kind that have far more impact then a monument.

Perhaps they will discover cold fusion. Perhaps they can develop a way to bend space time to make long distance space travel possible. Or maybe discover a cure for all cancer.
Maybe the person's life is fulfilled, or not. If you are judging being fulfilled in terms of making great achievements in the future, there is no way of predicting that. Most of us never achieve great things. We are born, go to school, go to college, maybe finish that, get a series of jobs, work at those many, many years, doing what the boss tells us, get married or live with a life partner or series of partners, perhaps have children, move into various homes or apartments, and everntually die after doing all these tasks repeatedly. There is no greatness in that. It's living an ordinary life, and each person derives varying levels of enjoyment from such a life.

Quote:
A rock monument is full of its potential, it is done, finished. Those things can always be built.
A rock monument is something many thousands, or millions, of people can view and enjoy for decades or hundreds of years. They can also produce their own lasting art from it. One person's life will be unlikely to have that much influence on a population of citizens. We're born, we live, and we die, and the only people who will ever remember us are our loved ones. I'm not trying to be negative; just honest.

Quote:
There is also the fact, would you believe the terrorists not to do this again?
Ah. Now you're feeding us the TSA party line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates