Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:45 PM

305 posts, read 282,513 times

Advertisements

Why do we use titles when referring to teachers?

Is it just to give them some formal version of respect since they tend to be incompetent to start out with?

I think it would be much better for teachers to use first names when teaching a class. It would be much easier for the students to connect with the teacher than hiding behind a useless title.

I don't think using a title helps much in class control. I've seen really terrible managers of class control still have a title.

Are they allowed to use their first name if they wish?

What I'm asking basically is have teachers always used titles while teaching or is there some strange research that makes some claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:02 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Simply, it's proper manners for any child to refer to any adult as Mr., Mrs., Miss, Dr., etc.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Simply, it's proper manners for any child to refer to any adult as Mr., Mrs., Miss, Dr., etc.

I mean why though. Like saying it's proper manners doesn't really explain why.

I'm saying I think it would help teachers relate to their students better if they used first names. Is there any research into why they shouldn't do it?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:06 PM

9,284 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Common sense as well as common courtesy. A child needs to respect and look up to their teacher.

Would you call your doctor "Joe" or your priest or rabbi? Why don't you call your parents by their first names?

Old 11-14-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Common sense as well as common courtesy. A child needs to respect and look up to their teacher.

Would you call your doctor "Joe" or your priest or rabbi? Why don't you call your parents by their first names?

Well for parents, priest, rabbi, you're calling them by their function. You don't call anyone Teacher Smith.

Plus, I think respect should be earned, not given.

I'm asking if a teacher thinks it's silly to use titles and prefers not to use one, will they be allowed to do that?

Old 11-14-2014, 05:40 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Moderator cut: see below

To answer your question: it depends on the school and it's educational philosophy. A school with a progressive philosophy is more likely to allow students to address their teachers by their first names. A school with a traditional philosophy is likely not to allow it.

Most public schools are traditional. You'll find progressive and hybrids of progressive/traditional in independent schools.

I'm not a teacher but I work for a traditional school that leans toward progressive. All adults from the custodian to the head of school are addressed as Mr., Ms., Miss, or Mrs.

I suppose I'll need to rethink addressing my neighbor as Mr. Wilson or Mrs. Rodgers - I mean, they haven't done anything to earn my respect so according to you, they are not deserving of being addressed as Mr. or Mrs.

Moderator cut: - But of you're truly interested in the differences between progressive vs traditional education philosophies, Google will help you out.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-14-2014 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Sigh. Even if it's true, it is against the TOS and this forum's guidelines to say so on the open forum.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:44 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
I mean why though. Like saying it's proper manners doesn't really explain why.

I'm saying I think it would help teachers relate to their students better if they used first names. Is there any research into why they shouldn't do it?
Did you call your teachers by their first names when you were a child?

Did you call your neighbors by their first names when you were a child?

It is called common decency and manners, something far too many kids (and some of their parents) lack these days.

I am in my 6th decade of life, and I STILL call the neighbors I grew up with by "Mr. and Mrs. So and So". Some of them still live by my childhood home, and when I see them (they are now in their 80s-90s), they are "Mr. and Mrs.". No Joe or Betty.

Children can relate better when they listen! Zip the lip and open the ears.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Did you call your teachers by their first names when you were a child?

Did you call your neighbors by their first names when you were a child?

It is called common decency and manners, something far too many kids (and some of their parents) lack these days.

I am in my 6th decade of life, and I STILL call the neighbors I grew up with by "Mr. and Mrs. So and So". Some of them still live by my childhood home, and when I see them (they are now in their 80s-90s), they are "Mr. and Mrs.". No Joe or Betty.

Children can relate better when they listen! Zip the lip and open the ears.

Yeah, I did, but I don't see a point in it?

Just calling something manners as an explanation doesn't really sit well with me.

I don't think a child listens just because someone calls themselves Mr. and Mrs.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 PM

30,509 posts, read 16,209,926 times
It's also a sign of authority in this case.

To call a teacher by their 1st name put them more on a level of the student. Not a good thing in a school, especially when the child gets into their teens.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
It's also a sign of authority in this case.

To call a teacher by their 1st name put them more on a level of the student. Not a good thing in a school, especially when the child gets into their teens.

Well that's what I was referring to.

How does calling someone by their first name make them more authoritative?

I think it does very little in helping with classroom management and also makes teachers seem distant to the kids when they might want to ask a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates