Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:40 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
To say though, that homosexuality exists nature (as in animals other than humans) goes a bit far. While some animals exhibit certain behaviors, please, if you believe that other animals have anything more than very limited behavior, explain how you know what the animals are thinking?

That is made up science. Where are all the same sex pairs of animals with young? Where are all the same sex animals that remain as pairs through their lives?

The entire concept of other animals being homosexual is pulled out of thin air. If the very limited behavior exhibited by other animals is homosexuality, then by golly, just look at how many homosexuals are in prisons. All those murders and rapists and other violent offenders are homosexuals?

What does that rather scary indictment say of the homosexual community?
You're not exactly making sense. Of course same-sex animals can't have young. And there are very few species that "remain as pairs" throughout their lives.

Yes, homosexuality exists in nature - humans and other species. Tell me when you decided to be straight, if you think it's a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madera23 View Post
Everyone seems to have the idea that homosexually is in a person at birth. It is not.
I see it as an unnatural act.
Most have acquired it from the failure of parents to raise children with the love of God in them.
Parents often fail their children emotionally and may have been bullied by friends and someone comes along to comfort them and forms a homosexual relationship that leads to sex.
In the eyes of God it is a sin.
Wouldn't there be a lot more gay people if "comforting" led to being gay? Also, if gay is a choice, why choose gay? Why choose the sexual orientation that is not as widely accepted?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't have anything against gay people. In fact, i'll go as far as saying that even if my own son came and told me he was gay, i would be very accepting and understanding, knowing that being gay is not a choice (usually) and is part of nature and occurs in many other species on earth as well as us mammals.

That said, i've always thought of being gay as an anomaly, given that it is (at least appears so on the surface) against the evolutionary process; as in, being gay (again, at least it appears so on the surface) does not contribute to the evolution of the specie.

Is this view valid in your opinion? why so? why not?
Studies have shown that women with high fertility or fecundity, also tend to produce more homosexual children. So it may be that homosexuality and fertility are somehow tied together. But since homosexuals have always existed, I would say it is not an anomaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkharder77 View Post
I can guarantee you Nature does not produce "gays". Nature comes from the word Natural. Please explain to me what is Natural, or sexual, about homosexuality? What is sexual about anal sex or fluid swapping? It's extremely unsafe and the cause of plenty of sicknesses. I'd suggest you study your words closer because "gay" means happy, until popular culture perverted that as well. Homosexuality is 100% a perversion of Nature. Men have always lusted after men and women for women. This "gay" scene is a buisness. When you have a bunch of liars all over the mainstream pushing this agenda people are going to buy it up. So in my opinion, society creates "gays", television being their biggest weapon. What we see makes up our reality. Do you really think homosexuality is a problem in the Amazon with the Natural peoples? And please, don't ever compare Mankind to a mammal or any other animal. I am a living, spiritual, conscious Being.
Moderator cut: - gays are not the only ones who practice anal sex and many heterosexuals practice it. Moderator cut: - LOL, humans are animals and mammals, we are not separate from the animal kingdom

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-11-2014 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: Against forum guidelines and merge

Old 12-11-2014, 04:30 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I noticed that a couple of things have been overlooked: first, most gay people are not impotent or infertile and therefore capable of reproducing; and second it's not all just 'black and white' in that there are bisexual people out there and it must be pointed out that some are predominately heterosexual and a small degree of bisexuality and some are predominately gay with a small degree of bisexuality ... there is a whole range of 0 to 6.

So I guess my point is don't assume gay people can't have children. Sometimes it's a friendly swap between a gay man plus a lesbian and a turkey baster.

It's more important to me that it is a fact gay and lesbian and bisexuality are a part of society and making contributions to it. They are architects designing buildings, doctors treating patients, soldiers in the military, researchers at the university, waiters in a restaurant, and so on.

Some of the greatest contributions to art, science, literature have been made by gay people.

Gay folks do not have to justify or defend their existence.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
I don't consider gays an anomaly since their population ranges from 5-10 percent in the U.S.

Are there gay animals? No, they are not gay and attracted to one sex only. That would be absurd. I've seen male dogs try to Moderator cut: language another male dog as well as a female but only in a third world country. This doesn't mean they are gay or bi. They are simply male animals Moderator cut: inappropriate and do what they do. But never here in the USA and I am an animal lover (but not the way you are thinking). We know frogs can change their sex to reproduce.
Evolution of species problem?
Well, there's too many people on the planet anyway. Mother nature one way or another (nuclear or huge natural disaster) will get the earth back in order to recycle itself.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-11-2014 at 06:48 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I don't consider gays an anomaly since their population ranges from 5-10 percent in the U.S.

Are there gay animals? No, they are not gay and attracted to one sex only. That would be absurd. I've seen male dogs try to Moderator cut: language another male dog as well as a female but only in a third world country. This doesn't mean they are gay or bi. They are simply male animals Moderator cut: inappropriate and do what they do. But never here in the USA and I am an animal lover (but not the way you are thinking). We know frogs can change their sex to reproduce.
Well, there's too many people on the planet anyway. Mother nature one way or another (nuclear or huge natural disaster) will get the earth back in order to recycle itself.
Time and time again reality disproves your argument.

Central Park Zoo's gay penguins ignite debate - SFGate
BBC News - Gay penguins in Kent zoo are 'the best parents'
The World's Most Famous Gay Animals

Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Homosexuality is an abnormality, so is being left handed. Both are natural occurrences. I'm not sure you can say that it does not contribute to evolution or survival of the species though as gay animals/humans do raise orphaned babies.
That would make sense if they were inclined to raise children. I think the environmental influence comes into play more than many like to admit. We find people attractive because of glamour magazines and popular culture. It is learned behavior. Almost no one in modern times would find prehistoric men are women in their natural state very attractive.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post

"anomaly"
It would be an anomoly compared to the general population, and 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 20 people being gay is too high. If you throw in Asexual, Trans and other non MF attraction I would agree with the 5-10
% number.

There are dogs that go at it with other dogs or even go at it with their masters leg, so non-typical sexual attraction does occur in other species.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I assure you that my gay friends did not become gay because of fashion magazines or popular culture.
What I am saying is society has a major impact on what we find attractive, and it is almost impossible to find a truly Innate response that isn't influenced by social conditioning. Many people will adapt to their environment, such as societies where obese people are found to be attractive. Before being gay was socially acceptable in the west many men and women who were 'Gay' chose to be in a relationship with the opposite sex rather than be alone. Is a man truly 100% gay if he is able to be married to a woman for years and to easily be able to get excited enough to consummate the relationship. Was Meridith Berney really 100% Lesbian if she was excited enough to engage in sex with men before coming out?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
Default sure why not

Sure why not? I would accept you could think it was an anomaly (something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected) to the evolutionary process. If you mean by evolution-reproduction. However some food for thought maybe gay people are just part of the evolution process (Evolution is the process by which modern organisms have descended from ancient ancestors. Evolution is responsible for both the remarkable similarities we see across all life and the amazing diversity of that life). Using the definition just copied and pasted-gay people add to the diversity of life.

Now maybe some could call evolution an improvement as well as just a diversity and similarity then if you try I bet you could think of all kinds of reasons gay people might actually improve life. Let me try-they don't add as many unwanted kids or any at all because they have to go out of their way to breed/reproduce. This means no kids are added to CPS in general from gay people also few of their kids are mistreated because they are wanted s they do not add to the prison population (in theory) as much when they grow up. Also gay people help us accept our realities and varieties of life when they are "out", helping all of us be whoever we happen to be.

I could or you could go on and on with supposings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates