Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Does Op think perhaps give more votes by IQ also? I would think a issue test would be better because some are intelligent just not on issues.JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 02:22 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
What do you think would happen to the United States if only history majors and those who studied politics and law were allowed to vote? Do you think we would have more informed decisions about this nation or less? Would you like to see it that way? If not, why, and what alternative would you like to see?
See my post near the bottom of Page 2. All the difficulties applying to the general MENSA + Doctorate's Degree apply there as well.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:11 PM

651 posts, read 415,690 times
The voters can be divided in two groups:
- People which come to election;
- People which fulfill more important task during the other ones come to election.

Well, we are interested in the first group (the second one doesn't vote). There are more intelligent and less intelligent voters in it. How can we find difference between the two kinds? Let's offer some money to each voters. Now he can get the money (10, 20, 30 dollars?) and leave the election or to refuse the money and to vote. This idea isn't the best one. But the society should examine the future voter before he comes to vote.

PS. In an experiment 60% Internet-users agreed to give their paroles in exchange for a bar of chocolate.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Meh.

Why do you think high IQ people, or even simply "smart" people for that matter, would make better political choices anyway? Smart people may choose not to vote since they know that individually each of their vote doesn't matter. Heck, even if their individual votes could change the outcome of the election, would that even matter? It's the same system regardless of who gets elected.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:55 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Voting for people that will run our country should be left up to intelligent people. It is too important to allow people that are not very smart to make those decisions.
Translation -

People who don't vote for who I want shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I'm sure that's not how you meant it.. But that's the first thing that ran through my mind reading it.

But, if we were to take it.. How do you measure intelligence? I know lots of smart people who have no common sense at all. Hell.. I put myself in that category at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If illegals get a vote what will be next convicted felons serving time?
Already can. Maine and Vermont allow prisoners to vote.

That is pretty out there.. But.. I think it's Florida and Virginia don't allow anyone convicted of a felony to vote at all.

That's not right, either.

Once someone has served their time.. They should have voting rights restored. Now.. I can listen to and argue about whether someone needs to have only finished their prison time, or whether they need to have completed any parole/probation as well.. But there should be no requirements that you have to petition to have voting rights restored, unless the conviction was for a voting based crime.. Voter fraud.. There should be specific requirements before they are allowed to vote or be part of the process again.

Now.. You take both of those together.. You can see, I believe ANY citizen should have the right to vote. That means, Einstein gets a say.. If Manson was out of prison, he'd get a say.. and the deaf and dumb guy that sits on the corner begging for change every day can vote.

Photo ID laws are common sense to me. Only citizens should decide the course of the country, state or locality.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
No. Because intelligence and wisdom are two utterly different things. I've known people who likely wouldn't do too well on the SAT who lived prosperous lives because of wise decisions. And I've met total geniuses who were just idiots.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:29 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Voting for people that will run our country should be left up to intelligent people. It is too important to allow people that are not very smart to make those decisions. In what other industry or institution are important decisions left to the majority of the people, many that can't even run their households let alone make important decisions about the country. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes, we all should have equal rights, but when it comes to decisions that effect the safety, prosperity, and functioning of our government, let the smart people decide.

Perhaps this isn't very democratic. But look what happens with majority rule. We end up catering to the masses, not what is best. A good example is with television ratings. TV shows live or die by ratings, by majority rule. Is it a mystery why there is so much crap on tv? Pretty much the same reason our government sucks.

Please don't bash me. Perhaps I'm not smart enough to vote. But what we're doing now doesn't really seem to be working that great. We allow too any criminals into politics, so there must be a better way of deciding who these people should be. And I just don't think the majority of people are smart enough. And it's going to get worst.
Well, back in my parents' day, an individual who had not earned a high school diploma was required to take a test prior to being allowed to vote. I don't know how widespread the practice was, or when/if it ended.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:30 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Dumb people are not a waste of space. They are dumb. Dumb people still have all the same rights as smart people...
so let them vote but don't actually count theirs, they won't know the difference anyways and will have a good story to tell that evening at the table with their family

Old 01-31-2015, 10:45 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Now.. You take both of those together.. You can see, I believe ANY citizen should have the right to vote. That means, Einstein gets a say.. If Manson was out of prison, he'd get a say.. and the deaf and dumb guy that sits on the corner begging for change every day can vote.
Huh.. I read that again.. I should clarify.. Einstein could vote if he were still alive.

I'm not for letting dead people vote. This isn't Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates