Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Missouri recently cut off help to most blind people. I know a young blind man who was raising his three kids by himself and they are struggling without the $700 a month. He lost his sight suddenly a couple years ago when the youngest was 4. He had always supported them. when he lost his sight, his wife left for parts unknown.
In China, many of the blind, over there, are in the massage business, a wonderful occupation for them, as you don't eyes to do a massage. In fact, not having eyes, you can even give a better massage! I've been to China, was given massages over there by the blind, and it keeps them off welfare!

The blind, on welfare, IMO, should be given free passes for massage schools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:38 PM

One can always shift the burden from welfare to Medicaid! And since Medicaid doesn't have the stigma of welfare, the populace would then have, strangely, more respect for them!

I've been working in a LTC/Rehab facility for 13 years and My oh My what I haven't seen in those 13 years!!!

22YO woman simply doesn't want to join the workforce, she's obese, and, with calculation, she steps off a curb to be deliberately hit by car, left disabled! That woman will be on Medicaid the rest of her life!

A 25YO woman, so damaged by repeated use of crack, she'll be ineligible to work again, and? Another thank-you to Medicaid!

Yes, it may result in a lot of initial pain, but why not!!! Go step off that curb, get hit by a car, and kiss welfare good-bye! You'll live better on Medicaid/Disability!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:46 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
If all forms of welfare were terminated at once? You'd have political unrest, chaos and rioting on a level which is not acceptable to ruling elites.
For the sake of keeping the focus on welfare and not on any dramatic policy change that happens immediately which surely will cause chaos of some sort, let's just say that welfare gets phased out gradually, perhaps over years, such that society has time to adapt to the change. The scenario therefore does not rule out the possibility of non-governmental organizational or individual efforts providing support of some sort to people in need.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 PM

325 posts, read 255,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
For the sake of keeping the focus on welfare and not on any dramatic policy change that happens immediately which surely will cause chaos of some sort, let's just say that welfare gets phased out gradually, perhaps over years, such that society has time to adapt to the change. The scenario therefore does not rule out the possibility of non-governmental organizational or individual efforts providing support of some sort to people in need.
It's already been tried with workfare and other welfare to work programs coupled with a reduced period of time for which you are allowed to collect benefits.
It was highly publicized and very quietly failed. Because lots of people want to work but there are no jobs for them.
I've known many people trapped in the welfare system and not one of them would touch the government handout if they could find a job that paid enough to where they didn't need to rely on the government.
People need to have self esteem. When you take that away from them you create sociopaths.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:31 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Missouri recently cut off help to most blind people. I know a young blind man who was raising his three kids by himself and they are struggling without the $700 a month. He lost his sight suddenly a couple years ago when the youngest was 4. He had always supported them. when he lost his sight, his wife left for parts unknown.
this is a truly disabled individual. Nobody right or left wants them punished or have their help removed. Why do people always assume when you don't agree with welfare you automatically want all the truly needy to be kicked to the curb.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:07 AM

46 posts, read 64,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Enough people don't appear to know the definition of welfare because many people lump any payment from the government as welfare. My suggestion is to start with a definition of welfare. If you feel like I'm hijacking your thread, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll buzz out.

It's a .org, so I know the info is accurate enough.

US Welfare System - Help for US Citizens

If welfare is terminated, I believe in the possible consequences I listed with the program
and termination result.
- Food stamps stop and people will starve. Crime will likely increase.
- Social Security Income (SSI for low to no income people and the elderly) is for
disabled. Remove it and people will be homeless and starving and still disabled with
no assistance available it will kill them and our government will be responsible for that.
- HUD - Section 8 housing will also put people in the streets or move in and overcrowd
someone else home into various messes.
- Take away Medicare and no one will need death panels. People will just die.
- Drug use will go up to not see the reality of the horrible state of living.
- Kids won't be eating much (in poor families that happens now). Graduation rates will tank.
Literacy will become a word they don't understand.

Some programs have already been modified to have time limits on them.

Terminating these and other programs may well lead the poor who just became poorer into an uprising that would do serious damage to those of us living above the poverty level. Take this away from people and what's left for them ... why bother living and they will lash out, so having a rifle may lend a modicum of protection for us.
Existing system is breeding the poverty. People get trapped and lose insentive to do better cause they know they will lose the benefits.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 AM

The U.S. is famous for being penny-wise-dollar foolish! No country can do it better!

Add up how much it costs to keep people on welfare, add up what it could cost they turn to crime and are incarcerated @ $40-50k a year!

And? Your verdict? "Ok, Ok, Ok! Keep them on welfare, a bargain in comparison!"

Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,105 times
As less and less people feel it is worth it to be working and easier to be on welfare eventually if enough people feel that way there will be no one working to pay the taxes that funds the welfare.....500 years from now, if we last that long, this scenario will come to fruition because there will not be enough workers to fund the welfare that is being paid out now....
BTW...I don't consider SSI welfare because the person receiving it paid into it all of their working life. Unlike welfare where the recipient does nothing but pound out more kids to get more money....

Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
As less and less people feel it is worth it to be working and easier to be on welfare eventually if enough people feel that way there will be no one working to pay the taxes that funds the welfare.....500 years from now, if we last that long, this scenario will come to fruition because there will not be enough workers to fund the welfare that is being paid out now....
BTW...I don't consider SSI welfare because the person receiving it paid into it all of their working life. Unlike welfare where the recipient does nothing but pound out more kids to get more money....
If you look 500 years into the future the "elite" or whatever you want to call them will just leave planet Earth and form their own society. No doubt advances in technology will make that possible, although I think it will be less than 500 years.

This is very similar to the plot in Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" novel. All the "elite" people left society to form their own and the "poor" people where left behind.

We can see this actually happening today with the way companies move from country to country to exploit labor and environmental laws. Once the countries Govt's or population speak up and demand more rights the companies leave. Eventually they'll be no more countries to exploit so onto another planet they will go.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
The real question is how to take away the freebees once they are part of the culture. If programs would come with a plan on how to do a wind down when the economy changes, chaos could be avoided. But as it is, our society keeps adding new programs (attractive to getting votes) without integrating them with old ones so that there is no overlap. This necessitates raising taxes, which in most cases restricts growth of the economy. It is indeed a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates