Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:21 PM

687 posts, read 915,547 times

Advertisements

A co-worker of mine:

Makes decent money. Been in the trades for nearly 10 years. He does not want more responsibility and is always screwing up on jobs, to the point where guys with only 4 or 5 years of experience are passing him up. Guy is a nice guy when he wants to be, but then goes bi-polar and is an extreme jerk who throws tantrums and cusses people out, including people from other companies, and in rare occasions in front of customers. No one likes days they have to work with him, but I hear that he and I get along the worst. Still, it's bad for everyone else too.

He had a kid with a girl in his early 20's. She then had another kid with another man. They're still together. Unmarried of course. Guy gets a FREE house from his fairly successful dad who moved to another state. They and the kids lived with Pop until he moved.

She works, but at a dead end job. She gets a lot of benefits, EBT card and free healthcare for the children, etc.. Why? Because technically and legally she is a "single mother" of two babies from two different fathers. Enormous pile of uneducated trash.

She can't leave him because she loses the free house and has no other support system other than the you and I, the taxpayer. He doesn't leave her because of her welfare benefits and because he does genuinely want to take care of the kid that's his own (I'll give him credit for that). The stress that this produces between them gets taken out on co-workers, myself and others to varying degrees, upon fellow tradesmen via threats and cursing and just at the world in general. Talk about thrown tools, erratic driving and just an unpleasant 8-10 hours!

At least he gives me more workplace freedom than my other supervisors. Odd, but it's a blessing. I'll give him credit for that too. I like the freedom and responsibility and....well just being in a different room most of the time.

So you would think this couple would have their finances together, especially in light of having virtually free shelter over their heads (a quarter million dollar home, not bad!). Nope, they engage in many of the same poor habits that people with poor mentalities engage in: more than moderate drinking, HEAVY smoking, eating out WAY too often, seeing a movie every week, putting way too much into their souped up cars and all the accessories, no savings, buying the latest sneakers every month and $100 NFL jerseys, etc. etc.

It sucks knowing that they're "making more" than a lot of responsible people because of the benefits, and yet are still trash turning out more trash. Like another poster above noticed they are always looking for free baby sitters (one of their mothers usually) so they can go out to eat multiple nights a week and see basically every new movie that comes out. I wish I could drop $30 at restaurants and $25 at the movie theatre multiple times a week, but then I don't receive welfare benefits and am saving for a home (not all of us get shelter for free).

And these guys still seem to have the cops called to the household by neighbors a couple to a few times a year, the most recent being a month or so ago. At least he claims neither of them vote. Wow, is that actually a blessing? I guess it is.

Last edited by mapmd; 02-01-2015 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I have posted and read numerous responses in economical threads about poor people needing more assistance. Why is it then that there are people that start at the bottom of the barrel and end up wealthy beyond imagination? Is it because they're simply way more talented than everyone else, or is it because their drive and determination got them there?
Starting in poverty and becoming successful and wealthy is exceedingly uncommon. Talent in intellect certainly play a role, but so does luck and circumstance. Everyone is different so different opportunities come to different people at different times. Calling poverty a mindset is just a moronic platitude to further idealize rich people and denigrate poor people. When you come into the conversation with the viewpoint that all rich people worked hard for their money and deserve every penny of it and that poor people just didn't work hard enough then you're going to try to come up with ways to justify your conclusion, not challenge it. But when your eyes are open to reality you'll see that the vast majority of wealthy people were born into wealth and the vast majority of poor people were born into a long line of poor people. When you're born on third you tend to think you hit a triple. When you aren't even allowed in the stadium you aren't likely to ever get a shot at the plate.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:35 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
We have all seen immigrants that came here with next to nothing and the next thing you know they have their own business. They do not have the poverty mindset.

The people that complain and make excuses, such as lack of education and opportunity have a poverty mindset.

Everyone can't be Bill Gates but most can have a good middle class life if they want it bad enough. Then the next generations will take it up farther and farther.

Most millionaires are not born rich. That is a myth. They did not make the wrong choices in life. Finishing school, then getting a job, then get married, and then and only then have children will always be the quickest way to the middle class, and from there you can just keep moving up.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:41 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
when you are born, you born with nothing, your life decision is how you turn out, those that don't stay in school, those that have unwed children, you make your own choices of failure, so why should the government bail you out for bad choices.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
We have all seen immigrants that came here with next to nothing and the next thing you know they have their own business. They do not have the poverty mindset.

The people that complain and make excuses, such as lack of education and opportunity have a poverty mindset.

Everyone can't be Bill Gates but most can have a good middle class life if they want it bad enough. Then the next generations will take it up farther and farther.

Most millionaires are not born rich. That is a myth. They did not make the wrong choices in life. Finishing school, then getting a job, then get married, and then and only then have children will always be the quickest way to the middle class, and from there you can just keep moving up.
Barely 50% of the billionaires in America weren't born into huge fortunes. And most millionaires were born into upper-middle class families or better. Moving from extreme poverty into substantial wealth is not a matter of mindset. Just like most things in life it's a complex array of factors and relies heavily on luck and circumstance.
And as anyone with their own business can tell you, many concessions are made to immigrants when stating a business in America.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
when you are born, you born with nothing, your life decision is how you turn out, those that don't stay in school, those that have unwed children, you make your own choices of failure, so why should the government bail you out for bad choices.
So in your world every child in born in a vacuum, with no influence or intervention from their parents or the world around them? Children born to wealthy parents don't inherit any wealth? Children born to poor parents don't inherit the surroundings of their parents?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:03 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Some of that I agree with, but I think it's a little harsh..

In my view, we are all born with an equal sign that follows us along, and we never out-run it. When you are born you are the solution to the equation that consists of everything that resulted in your birth, but you have had no time to alter the equation. At my age (69) I will take responsibility for the whole ball of wax.

Later on, you will have time to alter the equation, but you can only do so much. The more competent among us will have great success at altering the equation; the less competent will have less success. But luck does pay a role. One person may come under the influence of a mentor that another person never meets.

I got lucky a couple of times in my life. People, and sometimes serendipitous events, played a role in my life. It helps to remember that luck - good and bad - plays a role.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:37 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
She works, but at a dead end job. She gets a lot of benefits, EBT card and free healthcare for the children, etc.. Why? Because technically and legally she is a "single mother" of two babies from two different fathers. Enormous pile of uneducated trash.

...more than moderate drinking, HEAVY smoking, eating out WAY too often, seeing a movie every week, putting way too much into their souped up cars and all the accessories, no savings, buying the latest sneakers every month and $100 NFL jerseys, etc. etc.

...And these guys still seem to have the cops called to the household by neighbors a couple to a few times a year, the most recent being a month or so ago. At least he claims neither of them vote. Wow, is that actually a blessing? I guess it is.
Such description is quite familiar to me, and is ubiquitous in my part of the country. Yet I would not consider such persons to be "poor". "Poor" means a combination of inability to earn on one's own, having no family support network, and for whatever reason being excluded from recourse to public assistance.

Speaking of the latter, much of our public-assistance scheme in modern America is aimed at single-parents. A former girlfriend was mired in poverty, but for reasons of personal values, she is child-free. This almost completely disqualified her from any benefits of nutrition, health care, housing or transportation. She was literally told by an employee of a public agency that first she must produce a child, and then she can return to reapply for benefits. She refused.

There is indeed a mindset of breezily wafting through life, without conceptualizing the future or taking stock of one's resources, outlays, opportunities and threats. This is by no means unique to the poor! But the poor can least afford it, and in their case such iniquities are most blatantly obvious. Instead I would most directly accuse America's upper-middle class, which with thrift and industriousness could rise much further, but often chooses otherwise, consuming instead of investing.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:05 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
think the first question is what is poverty:- Poverty is general scarcity or dearth, or the state of one who lacks a certain amount of material possessions or money.[1] It is a multifaceted concept, which includes social, economic political elements.Poverty seems to be chronic or temporary, and most of the time it is closely related to inequality.
Absolute poverty or destitution refers to the deprivation of basic human needs, which commonly includes food, water, sanitation, clothing, shelter, health care and education.

So is this a mindset? Do some climb out? yes, but the percentage is low- and if the playing field allows you to compete. How many black inventors had to give up their " idea to some idiot who stole them and made a fortune- and now we finding out, who invented what? hm hm- And many are wealthy from others backs- like slaves- and we are talking globally not just the US- Apple phone have Chinese working- without an INVITE- they are forced to do it- No poverty is not a mindset. It is about if the door was opened for them to walk out or not.

Now-ignorance- might be more of what keeps a person down.

Last edited by tinytrump; 02-01-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 03:29 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,389 times
I think people draw things to them through their thoughts. Some people worry about money and everything is about them not having enough money. It's like an obsession the things they can't afford, and how everything costs so much, and life is a struggle because there's never enough money. I used to be that way too. I grew up poor and it was just all day every day my parents obsessing about money and not having enough. I always struggled with my finances too. But then I read about the law of attraction, and I started changing my thought patterns. I always have more than enough for myself and enough leftover to give I haway to others. Money comes easily and often from expected and unexpected sources. I have all that I need and all that I truly desire. I am blessed with good luck, good fortune and abundance. Etc. It felt very unnatural to say these things, but I repeated such affirmations over and over many times a day until it felt normal. I really do have way more than I need. I am blessed, and money does come easily and often. There's way more than enough to go around, you just have to be open to receiving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates