Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:53 AM

203 posts, read 178,439 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been discussed, but those that watched the big game, probably caught two distinctive commercials. One was "Like a Girl" and the other with Chandler and Silverman, ended with "sorry, its a boy" phrase, when a kid was birthed. Im sorry, but I find the sorryitsaboy commercial extremely sexist and mislplaced. Im actually quite amazed that T-Mobile went along with it. What do you think the response would have been, if there was a commercial with Tom Leykis or Howard Stern, delivering a baby, and turning to the dad saying, "SOrry, its a girl"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
I noticed that too. Chelsea and Silverman are both goof balls and we shouldn't take anything they say seriously. They do comedy or try to.

What I thought was odd were the amount of commercials aimed at men being fathers to their kids and doign the right thing. Did the NFL with its sketchy attempts at countering domestic violence send out a memo to the advertisers saying they want to see more sensitive ads? Remember last year it was all about the sex and sex sells but not this year.

Even Katy Perry at half time was covered up more than usual for her.

Ads should be fun, especially Super bowl ones but most this year were stinkers with a message.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:03 PM

45,588 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I noticed that too. Chelsea and Silverman are both goof balls and we shouldn't take anything they say seriously. They do comedy or try to.

What I thought was odd were the amount of commercials aimed at men being fathers to their kids and doign the right thing. Did the NFL with its sketchy attempts at countering domestic violence send out a memo to the advertisers saying they want to see more sensitive ads? Remember last year it was all about the sex and sex sells but not this year.

Even Katy Perry at half time was covered up more than usual for her.

Ads should be fun, especially Super bowl ones but most this year were stinkers with a message.
I had not put the two together... but it is something to think about.

I did notice the family friendly tone to the majority of commercials. Even GoDaddy didn't have sex on their commercial.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 AM

36,540 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabasis X View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed, but those that watched the big game, probably caught two distinctive commercials. One was "Like a Girl" and the other with Chandler and Silverman, ended with "sorry, its a boy" phrase, when a kid was birthed. Im sorry, but I find the sorryitsaboy commercial extremely sexist and mislplaced. Im actually quite amazed that T-Mobile went along with it. What do you think the response would have been, if there was a commercial with Tom Leykis or Howard Stern, delivering a baby, and turning to the dad saying, "SOrry, its a girl"?
There probably wouldn't be much of a response at all. Our societies throughout history have aborted or killed girl babies at birth for just being born female. Wives have been shamed or even killed for producing female children. Females have held little or no importance to society or the family and it has been common place for couples and family members to wish for a male child. It is so ingrained in us that the majority doesn't give it a second thought.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:01 PM

501 posts, read 1,065,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabasis X View Post
I think there would be a large social media-led backlash that would result in bad press for T-Mobile and lost customers and maybe an eventual public apology.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:35 PM

743 posts, read 832,949 times
Don't worry, it is just the media flooding men with extreme feminism until the word "man" no longer exists. So much for them only wanting equal rights lol

Old 02-20-2015, 05:13 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,323,315 times
It's not just the commercials. TV shows have become male bashing entertainment. The shows with families the women is the level headed clear thinker and the man is just a child that's sex crazy, loud, obnoxious, comedy relief, duffus, alcoholic, drug abuser and wife and child abuser.

TV used to have the man as the bread winner and the foundation of the family (Ossie and Harriet, My 3 sons, Leave it to beaver, as examples) and now the man is just put-up with and serves no useful purpose.

Our society is a female centric society and those influences flow into TV commercials, schools, business and government. My biggest concern is how this is affecting the young boys that may see this and start taking on the characteristics of what they see on TV.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:57 AM

36,540 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
It's not just the commercials. TV shows have become male bashing entertainment. The shows with families the women is the level headed clear thinker and the man is just a child that's sex crazy, loud, obnoxious, comedy relief, duffus, alcoholic, drug abuser and wife and child abuser.

TV used to have the man as the bread winner and the foundation of the family (Ossie and Harriet, My 3 sons, Leave it to beaver, as examples) and now the man is just put-up with and serves no useful purpose.

Our society is a female centric society and those influences flow into TV commercials, schools, business and government. My biggest concern is how this is affecting the young boys that may see this and start taking on the characteristics of what they see on TV.
Entertainment and media are male dominated fields. Just saying.

Now, does life imitate art or art imitate life.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,323,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Entertainment and media are male dominated fields. Just saying.

Now, does life imitate art or art imitate life.
All this does is confirm that feminized males are running the shows. Males that have been feminized through decades of feminized TV shows have changed the wiring of men. Gays are also a large part of the entertainment fields as evidenced by the number of TV shows with gays as characters. The last time I did the math more then 70% of TV shows had gays even though less then 5% of the general population is gay.

The males have been feminized for 30-35 years. Almost everyday, I find these talk shows on TV asking what has happened to all the men. The theme surrounds that women can't find a good man to marry because they are all immature and want to be cared for not care for them. The men want to sit at home while the wife earns the money. The rolls have reversed, the man is now the wife and the women is now the breadwinner.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:43 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
All this does is confirm that feminized males are running the shows. Males that have been feminized through decades of feminized TV shows have changed the wiring of men. Gays are also a large part of the entertainment fields as evidenced by the number of TV shows with gays as characters. The last time I did the math more then 70% of TV shows had gays even though less then 5% of the general population is gay.

The males have been feminized for 30-35 years. Almost everyday, I find these talk shows on TV asking what has happened to all the men. The theme surrounds that women can't find a good man to marry because they are all immature and want to be cared for not care for them. The men want to sit at home while the wife earns the money. The rolls have reversed, the man is now the wife and the women is now the breadwinner.
I would not call my husband the "wife" as he still does protect even if he's not providing these days...but I am the main breadwinner now. I have no problem at all with this reversal of roles with me working full time plus and he staying home all day, so long as he understands that if he is home all day he still has responsibilities. He's got to make sure the kids are doing their work and the house is clean and such. For a while we had an issue because he seemed to think that being home and not working meant he could sit around and play video games and take naps and not accomplish anything much. To the immense detriment of his own self esteem. We're still partners and we still need to share the work, and since I made it clear to him that if he doesn't have a job, fine, but the household is his job.

I think most women I know agree, it's really only a problem when either ends are not being met or the other partner isn't putting in a fair share of the effort overall.

Otherwise, I have known some stay at home fathers who did a great job. I say whatever works for people, as long as they are making it work and everyone's happy with the distribution of responsibility.

I would not mind being the stay at home wife, and during times when he worked and I was at home (relatively few compared to the reverse) I worked harder while unemployed, keeping everything else squared away perfectly, than I do when employed full time outside the home. Keeping up a household is hard work when you're doing it right.

EDIT: I forgot though... about those Superbowl commercials, dangit Budweiser, they need to quit making me all weepy with the puppy and horse commercials. I've never seen something so cute it makes me want to bawl like a baby before that. Jeez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates