Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:02 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
i think so. i mean look at eastern PA, Florida, and now even north carolina. so many new yorker/new jerseyans are moving here that these places are beginning to feel a lot more like the tri state area. similarly, californians are moving to arizona, seattle, etc. people move around over time. and now that humans are more mobile then ever, we will continue to shift around much more quickly, wherever the jobs are, the nice weather, etc. people aren't local to a region anymore like 50 years ago.
Not true, we're moving around less and the trend is that we will continue being less mobile. Americans move less now than during any time in the past 80 years.

"The proportion of Americans moving has fallen to new postwar lows in the past few years. According to Census Bureau data from 2013, about 4.8 million Americans moved across state lines in the previous year. That is down from 5.7 million in 2006 and 7.5 million in 1999. All in all, the percentage of Americans moving across state lines has fallen by about half since the 1990s." http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Again - the answer to the OP is "no." Nothing indicates increased homogeny outside of people "feeling" it must be so. It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:04 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
I think the OP was more talking about the global influence rather people moving around in their own countries.

Roads/Flights and accessibility has made this possible.
How do you figure? Seems pretty obvious he's talking about the US, and even US vs the rest of the world:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
I saw a video on how accents in the United States, and eventually general american will be the only dialect used. And how the United States embraces the "melting pot"

Meanwhile, I saw something on how Toronto is the most diverse city in the world. Also, Canada is a bilingual country. While they embrace the "salad bowl"

This got me thinking if the United States is on track to becoming a completely homogenous country in a cultural sense. While other countries embrace heterogenous culture.

If that was the case, I would find it a boring existence personally and that would make me sad.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
do you not realise that Brazil is one of the most segregated countries in the world ?

white people make up the majority in the south which is rich and developed and multiracial people make up the majority in the north which is poor and underdeveloped, the middle and upper class is also much whiter than the lower class in Brazil
Oh it is? i had no clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
I think the OP was more talking about the global influence rather people moving around in their own countries.

Roads/Flights and accessibility has made this possible.
I don't think we are moving more, but we are closer to everyone else in the world through advancements in technology, especially here on the internet.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 PM

645 posts, read 835,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I don't think we are moving more, but we are closer to everyone else in the world through advancements in technology, especially here on the internet.
Really if you look at the global picture... we had European conquerors in the early days. In the modern day, i would say the only conquistadors are the Aisan people. They are everywhere. Everywhere you go, you see middle eastern, Indian, Chinese, Korean, Pakistani.

30 years ago, you wouldn't find an Indian/Chinese restaurant in Berlin i believe!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-06-2015 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: Removed icons

Old 02-05-2015, 04:29 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times
I don't think we are losing our accents. Certain accents emerge and others go away. That's how it has always been. If anything I think it 200 years the west will probably have more distinct accents than they have today. Southern accents go away in big cities but are mainly retained in medium sized cities and small town.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:59 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
I saw a video on how accents in the United States, and eventually general american will be the only dialect used. And how the United States embraces the "melting pot".

Depends on what you mean by eventually. I'm 39, It won't happen in my lifetime or even my grandchildren's lifetime.

But eventually, as in 200+ yrs from now? Sure. It'll happen..eventually.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I don't think we are losing our accents. Certain accents emerge and others go away. That's how it has always been. If anything I think it 200 years the west will probably have more distinct accents than they have today. Southern accents go away in big cities but are mainly retained in medium sized cities and small town.
I agree somewhat... if you were from another country and your only exposure to the US would be watching TV or driving the interstate from one big city to the next I think you could conclude that regional accents and cultures are going away. The only network news persons I can think of with an accent is Charlie Rose (NC) and Bob Schieffer (TX). Journalism schools try to diminish accents and people without accents get hired and promoted. I can't think national weather people with strong accents. Some old seaports, like Baltimore and New Orleans, have interesting cultures and accents. Newer large-growth cities like Houston or Phoenix or maybe some west coast cities seem more homogeneous to me. Cultures are very different in some areas once you are a few miles off the interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates