Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:02 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
The stats seem to suggest so, don't they? Unless women are simply more adept at getting away with things, men just commit more crimes, it's a fact.

Men murder more, they rape more, they litter twice as much, they're more likely to be pedophiles, they bully more, they abuse animals more, they're the ones that start wars usually. It just seems like the majority of people who do evil things happen to have a penis. I also find that women are more judgmental and unforgiving towards people who have done bad things.

I'm not a feminist and I hate admitting this, but would you say that there are simply fewer "bad" women than "bad" men? I'm not saying all women are angels and incapable of evil because I find a lot of women are quite dislikable, but even most b*tchy and dislikable women tend not to go beyond being vengeful and judgmental. It's pretty uncommon for women to severely hurt innocent people.

My theory is that women have more empathy and self-control on average, due to their different hormonal levels. I also notice whenever I do see a mugshot of a female criminal, they almost always have an intersexual or masculine appearance to them. It's almost unheard of for a pretty, feminine looking girl to murder someone or abuse children. This is why cases like Jodi Arias and Karla Holmolka are so famous; they're pretty much one in a billion.

Unless the number of female criminals who are caught and prosecuted are only the tip of the iceberg while most male criminals don't get away with it, it's pretty clear that women on average are "better people" than men.

Then again black people commit more crimes than white people yet saying whites are more moral doesn't really explain that, but the difference between male and female crime rates is much bigger and more universal than the difference between white and black crime rates.
Sure Women are more Moral than Men name one Woman who started A WAR ?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
I think their definition of morality is different. Sure they are less violent than men, that is evident when looking at statistical data. However in my experience they are much more mean to each other.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:11 AM

692 posts, read 957,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Sure Women are more Moral than Men name one Woman who started A WAR ?
Violence isn't the only means of immorality

Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
As far as which gender is more moral, while some males may go to the extreme of becoming violent, there are probably just as many females who attack via verbal attacks, being catty or back-stabbing, or getting on FakeBook and bashing others.

For those reasons, I cannot determine if one gender is more moral than the other.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,300,581 times
Just the other day I saw a "crime newspaper" in a gas station in Virginia - it had about 30 mugshots on the front cover. I noted with surprise that there were only two men pictured, and the rest were all women.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
The stats seem to suggest so, don't they? Unless women are simply more adept at getting away with things, men just commit more crimes, it's a fact.

Men murder more, they rape more, they litter twice as much, they're more likely to be pedophiles, they bully more, they abuse animals more, they're the ones that start wars usually. It just seems like the majority of people who do evil things happen to have a penis. I also find that women are more judgmental and unforgiving towards people who have done bad things.

I'm not a feminist and I hate admitting this, but would you say that there are simply fewer "bad" women than "bad" men? I'm not saying all women are angels and incapable of evil because I find a lot of women are quite dislikable, but even most b*tchy and dislikable women tend not to go beyond being vengeful and judgmental. It's pretty uncommon for women to severely hurt innocent people.

My theory is that women have more empathy and self-control on average, due to their different hormonal levels. I also notice whenever I do see a mugshot of a female criminal, they almost always have an intersexual or masculine appearance to them. It's almost unheard of for a pretty, feminine looking girl to murder someone or abuse children. This is why cases like Jodi Arias and Karla Holmolka are so famous; they're pretty much one in a billion.

Unless the number of female criminals who are caught and prosecuted are only the tip of the iceberg while most male criminals don't get away with it, it's pretty clear that women on average are "better people" than men.

Then again black people commit more crimes than white people yet saying whites are more moral doesn't really explain that, but the difference between male and female crime rates is much bigger and more universal than the difference between white and black crime rates.

I think we can generally agree that on average, women are less violent than men. Other than that, I don't think there is a significant moral difference.

And crime has a lot of different inputs. Little old ladies don't do a lot of crime. Boys and men 16-24 who are not employed and not in school do a ton of crime, they are the ones driving crime statistics. Blacks have higher birth rates and higher death rates than whites, this means that the proportion of young black males is much higher than the proportion of young white males. The black unemployment rate is 2x the white unemployment rate. The black dropout rate is much higher than the white dropout rate. So the proportion of black males 16-24 who are not employed and not in school is way higher than the proportion of white males16-24 who are not employed and not in school. That's why blacks commit more crime (higher crime rate) than whites, they are concentrated in the high crime "males 16-24 not employed and not in school" group. Those are the perps on a crime spree, it's not 40-year-old married guys and it's not little old ladies.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Quote:

Interesting topic. Women don't act out as much through aggression--killing, etc., but they do get more depressed and anxious, turn it inward. Biology, way girls/boys are raised, societal expectations, etc. all play a role.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:12 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I think their definition of morality is different. Sure they are less violent than men, that is evident when looking at statistical data. However in my experience they are much more mean to each other.
That's what I think. I'm a woman, and it shocks me what we say about each other behind our backs, or even in front of each other. I have been guilty of this myself, although I've made a concerted effort to stop doing this. I've been and been successful with getting rid of the mean for the most part, as I've grown older (whoops, more mature) and mellowed out. I believe men are more up front with their hatred and just go after the hated person with various bloody instruments of death rather than words and nonviolent weapons. I prefer the honest approach. Hell hath no fury, ya know

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-19-2015 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 02-19-2015, 02:34 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
As a student of anthropology, a student of human behaviour, a student of human history and evolution, I present that women are the bearers of life, the protectors of life, the perpetuators of life. Their role in nature is definitely different than that of men.

If you want to attribute that to "morality" I can see that. But I think you are not looking deep enough. The instincts were established far more deeply, far more into evolution than you are looking.
This is close to what I was thinking...it's hard to have this conversation without talking about the meanings of morality. Are we talking violence? Crime? Behavior that isn't illegal but is cruel? Ill intent?

And I do think that women have evolved in the role of the nurturers, having to care for others, and when you have to care for others it can make you kinder and gentler...where men have had to compete with one another and against nature for resources. Our evolution as a species has created a male who succeeds by violently crushing the opposition, building himself up to attract mates, taking what he wants. A woman is successful if her children don't die.

But on the other hand, men band together socially to accomplish large tasks and being in the path of dangerous efforts creates bonds of loyalty among men that women can rarely match. When a man has decided to bond in this way with someone, they will take that dedication to levels incomprehensible to most women. Just my observation, from the many soldiers I have known.

Here is a thought though...

The worst men I have known in my life have done great harm to other human beings. I've known rapists. 'Nuff said.

The worst women I've known, the ones I have judged the most harshly, have as their greatest flaw a failure as Mothers. By being selfish and turning from the requirement to care for others under their care, and thereby putting their children in dangerous or neglectful situations, they are the worst of the worst in my overall acquaintance of women.

I've even said, I strive to be neutral and nonjudgmental. However, I will judge men who have sexually assaulted others, and I will judge women for being bad mothers.

(Note: When I say "bad mother" I don't mean the ones who let the kids have a candy bar or watch TV or spank them, I mean the ones who run away from their obligation, run about clubbing, spending time and money away from the children very frequently, bringing strange men home who could be a safety threat, having no love to give their kids, beating them, using drugs around them, etc...really the ones who just are not trying at all.)

But it says something about morality though...in order to be "good" a man need merely not victimize others. In order to be "good" a woman must put the needs of others before herself. It's intriguing as a concept.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Women are more moralist gender for sure. What I mean by that is most "moral" campaigns tend to be led by women. Prohibition for instance was driven by Christian women. Nancy Reagan told us to "just say no." Women also tend to be more strict when it comes to following minute rules and details.

Men are always going to commit more murders, commit more crime, fight in more wars, etc. because we are the aggressive sex. Testosterone has driven men to kill, fight wars, destroy nations, etc. but it is also the reason men have built civilizations and created the entire framework of the modern world. Men are adventurous and outgoing because that is their make up. Men without any proper initiation into manhood or with a skewed vision of masculinity will seek to express it in ways that are damaging or unproductive. In short what makes men great also makes them dangerous. Men are the proactive force and women are reactive.

None of this is to bash women. A strong society needs both the masculine and the feminine. Modern society is curbing masculinity in favor of femininity to our detriment. The western world has tipped too far to the feminine side whereas many Middle Eastern nations and groups like ISIS have gone too extreme in the other direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates